Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Droppin' football, generally a $$ maker for all/most teams, doesn't make sense to me.
    Can you provide more detail about how football is a money maker for all/most teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      I'm not as pessimistic about the potential for Augie (and MSU) at the D1 level.

Potentially cutting football would suck (likely so would going non-scholarship too), but I believe both schools would be able to land on their feet fine. Both have the location and facilities to not be totally outclassed in Division I. Mankato and Sioux Falls are definitely two Division I caliber cities.

Some have brought up Omaha's struggles, but MBB attendance 2 of the last 3 years still practically triples what the Red Mavs were getting their last 5ish years in D2. Ten years ago, they went 25-7 in D2 and averaged 919 fans. Last year, despite going 9-22 the team averaged 2,367 fans. Distant third in Nebraska fan support maybe, but still sitting better in that area than they were in D2. Division I sells.

I'm not saying I want them to leave. Heck, they're probably the two best all-around programs in the NSIC, so it would really put a dent in the overall conference strength. And they're two of the nearest schools to Marshall, so it wouldn't help our travel budget either. I'm just speaking to the notion that they wouldn't hold their own in Division I.
      AGREE

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
        It isnt about what's good for the school or actual supporters, its the investors and the folks in the city. What can help bring in more options, and outside dollars. Some of the most insightful and diehard of fans probably live on this message board, I dont believe any of the Augie contingent has said this would be "great" though some have said it will be fine either way.
        I think Augie going D1 would be absolutely, fantastically, great. Now I say this as a much larger Augie basketball fan than a football fan so I understand why those who fall in the opposite bucket would not share my sentiments.

While I understand a move to "non-scholarship" football is unappealing to most football fans it is not the same as dropping football. Should Augie go this route and join the oft mentioned Pioneer League they would be playing for an automatic bid in the FCS playoffs every year. Thats an incredible opportunity to sell in recruiting.

For the non-revenue sports the leap in competition would be great but programs like cross country, womens tennis, and womens golf are arguably on par with Summit League competition right now. The main reason for that is tremendous coaching and retaining that talent would be a vital (and obvious) priority in a D1 jump.

For women's basketball, baseball, and men's basketball a D1 leap would be manna from heaven. Those programs are proven winners led by ELITE coaches (and yes Krauth will coach forever I refuse to acknowledge any other possibility) playing in above average to great facilities. All it takes is ONE (extremely difficult to achieve) post season run to put the entire institution on the map.

Sioux Falls is obviously home to thousands of Jacks, Coyotes, and Bison fans but I have to believe the draw of bright shiney D1 lights would attract many on the fence dollars that are currently being spent elsewhere. And another opportunity for those fans to see their team play without having to drive to Verm/Brookings/Fargo. Obviously any leap will require a major cash commitment but Augie has proven quite apt at raising substantial sums of athletic money in recent years and if Kelby/Sanford are on board that will only continue to grow.

"Adapts well to change" is not a phrase anyone would use to describe Augie but it is necessary sometimes and people like Herseth-Sandlin, Morton, and Kelby recognize that and I couldnt be happier about it.
        Last edited by Augieholic; 06-26-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          University of Sioux Falls has been a higher education facility since 1883 and have educated untold numbers of young people making this a better country for it. NOBODY going to buy their campus period. Long after we are dead they still will be a higher education university. Rumors suck.
          You could be eating those words!

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
            I think Augie going D1 would be absolutely, fantastically, great. Now I say this as a much larger Augie basketball fan than a football fan so I understand why those who fall in the opposite bucket would not share my sentiments.

While I understand a move to "non-scholarship" football is unappealing to most football fans it is not the same as dropping football. Should Augie go this route and join the oft mentioned Pioneer League they would be playing for an automatic bid in the FCS playoffs every year. Thats an incredible opportunity to sell in recruiting.

For the non-revenue sports the leap in competition would be great but programs like cross country, womens tennis, and womens golf are arguably on par with Summit League competition right now. The main reason for that is tremendous coaching and retaining that talent would be a vital (and obvious) priority in a D1 jump.

For women's basketball, baseball, and men's basketball a D1 leap would be manna from heaven. Those programs are proven winners led by ELITE coaches (and yes Krauth will coach forever I refuse to acknowledge any other possibility) playing in above average to great facilities. All it takes is ONE (extremely difficult to achieve) post season run to put the entire institution on the map.

Sioux Falls is obviously home to thousands of Jacks, Coyotes, and Bison fans but I have to believe the draw of bright shiney D1 lights would attract many on the fence dollars that are currently being spent elsewhere. And another opportunity for those fans to see their team play without having to drive to Verm/Brookings/Fargo. Obviously any leap will require a major cash commitment but Augie has proven quite apt at raising substantial sums of athletic money in recent years and if Kelby/Sanford are on board that will only continue to grow.

"Adapts well to change" is not a phrase anyone would use to describe Augie but it is necessary sometimes and people like Herseth-Sandlin, Morton, and Kelby recognize that and I couldnt be happier about it.
            Kinda how I look at it. Would suck as a USF sports fan, but as an institution and athletic program AUGIE is D1.

Comment

Originally posted by tman28 View Post
              Kinda how I look at it. Would suck as a USF sports fan, but as an institution and athletic program AUGIE is D1.
              How does an institution with 1,900 students and an endowment of only $81million look like D1?

Comment

Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
                How does an institution with 1,900 students and an endowment of only $81million look like D1?
                Good observation.

Comment

:good: exactly, I could name several D3 schools in MN who would qualify in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
                    :good: exactly, I could name several D3 schools in MN who would qualify in comparison.
                    Key word for me is POTENTIAL. I think that's where kelby and his Ilk are going. At same time they are doing so well at d2. Their potential reminds me of the potential I think Lindenwood has. Obviously augie ia much smaller, doesnt have the local talent and population LW has to work with.

Comment

Well "POTENTIAL" is different than "IS" D1

With a $100million investment you could argue Augie has the potential for D1. What happens when that big money booster goes away?

Drake is possibly your closest comparison. Similar metro area, enrollment around 5k, endowment over $200million. Pretty much an afterthought in Des Moines behind the Hawkeyes and Cyclones. Nobody cares about their football team, basketball gets a bit of a following if they are winning. Maybe Augie could aspire to become that. Thing is Drake has historically been a D1 program. They have a history. Augie doesn't have that.

Lindenwood is 8.7k students and a $143million endowment and located in the St. Louis metro. I wouldn't consider that comparable to Augie.

Of course it all comes down to the big money booster. If that guy wants it you follow the money. I just see a repeat of Augie when they were in the NCC as far as athletics. I have my doubts enrollment surges and med schools and the like are added as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tman28 View Post
                        Key word for me is POTENTIAL. I think that's where kelby and his Ilk are going. At same time they are doing so well at d2. Their potential reminds me of the potential I think Lindenwood has. Obviously augie ia much smaller, doesnt have the local talent and population LW has to work with.
                        Here's what I see; A very small private school/enrollment that is currently land locked as it sits now with an endowment that is not huge by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

With a $100million investment you could argue Augie has the potential for D1. What happens when that big money booster goes away?

Drake is possibly your closest comparison. Similar metro area, enrollment around 5k, endowment over $200million. Pretty much an afterthought in Des Moines behind the Hawkeyes and Cyclones. Nobody cares about their football team, basketball gets a bit of a following if they are winning. Maybe Augie could aspire to become that. Thing is Drake has historically been a D1 program. They have a history. Augie doesn't have that.

Lindenwood is 8.7k students and a $143million endowment and located in the St. Louis metro. I wouldn't consider that comparable to Augie.

Of course it all comes down to the big money booster. If that guy wants it you follow the money. I just see a repeat of Augie when they were in the NCC as far as athletics. I have my doubts enrollment surges and med schools and the like are added as well.
                          $100MM?! You sound like Dr Evil making up sums of money. If SDSU has an annual $20M athletic department budget (including football) and Augie's is currently $10M with football then they need about $5-10M a year to be competitive. Obviously thats a lot easier said than done and will be impacted by the level of football they choose but if Kelby/Sanford/etc are on board those sums are achieveable. Speaking of athletic department budgets, I dont know the exact figures but Augie's now compared to its NCC days is dramatically different so to use that as a point of comparison seems silly to me.

Augie already has revenue sport facilities that are average for a small enrollment D1 school and if they get the indoor/outdoor track going this fall that brings them up another level. Most schools making the leap need MAJOR facilities upgrades and that isnt the case for Augie.

I'm confident that with extremely smart and talented people like Herseth-Sandlin, Kelby, Josh Morton, etc driving the ship a short sighted decision that will hurt the Augie brand isnt likely.
                          Last edited by Augieholic; 06-28-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

This is an Augustana- MSU hybrid announcement:

The date for this year's MSU Hall of Fame induction is Friday, Sept. 28 with the formal induction ceremony taking place at the Hall of Fame Induction Dinner held in the MSU CSU Ballroom.

This year's MSU Athletics Philanthropic Award recipient is Kelby Krabbenhoft.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              This is an Augustana- MSU hybrid announcement:

The date for this year's MSU Hall of Fame induction is Friday, Sept. 28 with the formal induction ceremony taking place at the Hall of Fame Induction Dinner held in the MSU CSU Ballroom.

This year's MSU Athletics Philanthropic Award recipient is Kelby Krabbenhoft.
                              Oh...:wink:

Comment

I don't really like Drake as a comparison. It's an afterthought in IA because it's Missouri Valley and Iowa/Iowa State are B1G/Big XII. Augie would be in the same conference as its in-state rivals.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X