Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
    How does an institution with 1,900 students and an endowment of only $81million look like D1?
    Personally, I believe if Kelby was not pushing AU to move up to D1, the school would be content at D2 level. This is Augie's golden Era in athletics, after 80+ years of moribund performance in the NCC. With shiny new facilities and finally a budget to compete well, these are good times. My hope is they resist the temptation to go D1. The Summit league is a somewhat shaky league trying to keep its membership up, if NDSU bolted to FBS and joined another league the Summit could topple.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      Personally, I believe if Kelby was not pushing AU to move up to D1, the school would be content at D2 level. This is Augie's golden Era in athletics, after 80+ years of moribund performance in the NCC. With shiny new facilities and finally a budget to compete well, these are good times. My hope is they resist the temptation to go D1. The Summit league is a somewhat shaky league trying to keep its membership up, if NDSU bolted to FBS and joined another league the Summit could topple.
      I've seen this argument from you as well as fans of the local D1s who don't want Augie to go D1, claiming the only reason we've seen success is because we aren't competing with those schools anymore. (To be clear, I don't think you specifically are saying it to the extreme that the SDSU and USD fans are, but it does seem to be an underlying implication in your case.)

What I would be curious to see and compare is the difference between how Augie was investing in athletics during that "moribund" stretch compared to how the administration sees the value in athletics now. It's easy to say we weren't competitive back then because we were competing against those schools and consequently wouldn't be competitive now against those schools, but I'm willing to bet the school as a whole probably wasn't as committed to athletics back then as it is now.

I think there are substantial advantages to being one of VERY few private Division I schools in this region that could offer an expensive, high-academic education to potential student athletes compared to a state school. If our administration is actually motivated enough to continue investing in athletics at a high level, I think some of those disparities compared to our old NCC days will be much less problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        I've seen this argument from you as well as fans of the local D1s who don't want Augie to go D1, claiming the only reason we've seen success is because we aren't competing with those schools anymore. (To be clear, I don't think you specifically are saying it to the extreme that the SDSU and USD fans are, but it does seem to be an underlying implication in your case.)

What I would be curious to see and compare is the difference between how Augie was investing in athletics during that "moribund" stretch compared to how the administration sees the value in athletics now. It's easy to say we weren't competitive back then because we were competing against those schools and consequently wouldn't be competitive now against those schools, but I'm willing to bet the school as a whole probably wasn't as committed to athletics back then as it is now.

I think there are substantial advantages to being one of VERY few private Division I schools in this region that could offer an expensive, high-academic education to potential student athletes compared to a state school. If our administration is actually motivated enough to continue investing in athletics at a high level, I think some of those disparities compared to our old NCC days will be much less problematic.
        Actually I agree with you on the fact AU has invested more into athletics nowadays compared to the NCC years. We can say with confidence that the 2016 NC Basketball team could have won the Summit, same for the this years NC baseball team. Yes Augie's academic standings and Sioux Falls makes for a unique recruiting strength. My main concern is football, I don't want it wither in a non scholarship league. Would be happy to move up tp D1 as long as Football had the full 63 scholarships FCS allows.

Comment

Actually I agree with you on the fact AU has invested more into athletics nowadays compared to the NCC years. We can say with confidence that the 2016 NC Basketball team could have won the Summit, same for the this years NC baseball team. Yes Augie's academic standings and Sioux Falls makes for a unique recruiting strength. My main concern is football, I don't want it wither in a non scholarship league. Would be happy to move up tp D1 as long as Football had the full 63 scholarships FCS allows.
          Also my biggest sticking point for MSU going D1. I don't want the Pioneer. And I will revolt if we drop football. I think both schools could compete in the other sports. But football is #1 with me.

Comment

Macalester would blow your doors off.

Comment

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
              :good: exactly, I could name several D3 schools in MN who would qualify in comparison.
              My last post was supposed to go with this.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                My last post was supposed to go with this.
                If Augie moved up, I sure would miss all the love Winona fans gives AU. Sioux Falls Sun Conference forever!

Comment

Done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
                    Done deal.
                    Do you know a guy who knows a guy who knows something? Or is this more of a gut instinct kind of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      Do you know a guy who knows a guy who knows something? Or is this more of a gut instinct kind of thing?
                      Xfiles music plays in the background

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
                        Done deal.
                        A person with telepathy. You are a rare breed indeed sir.

Comment

A person with telepathy. You are a rare breed indeed sir.
                          Thank you. I'll bet my reputation :wink: on it, tainted as it is.

Comment

Another Augie to D1 story.

http://www.therepublic.com/2018/10/1...gustana-div-i/

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              Now the President is commenting officially. To be determined by the end of the school year? Why do I feel like this is goodbye Augie?

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                                Now the President is commenting officially. To be determined by the end of the school year? Why do I feel like this is goodbye Augie?
                                Good for them. It must be nice having a aggressive and forward-thinking administration.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X