Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Well, as an example, it would take $350,000 to endow a full scholarship, not multiple, just one...you really think that much is being spent on recruiting a year? Ha

Comment

Boy, NSIC would have missed out on a lot of national championships that way.

Comment

Boy, NSIC would have missed out on a lot of national championships that way.
        Private schools are different from public schools and can be more creative in getting funding to their student athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
          Private schools are different from public schools and can be more creative in getting funding to their student athletes.
          I guess I am just not following here. The conference has a max scholarship amount, all schools are trying to get there, a handful already are or on our way.

In order to field a team you have to offer what you have and utilize academic scholarships to cover the rest. If coaches dont travel to recruit, they will not get athletes. If you dont get athletes and go with walk-ons you are fielding an intramural team.

Alumni aren't going to increase their donations unless they see a vision for the future. You dont have that without going out to get some talent.

If a team can bring in $350,000 in one year in yearly giving (in my earlier example) you would rather put all of that toward one scholarship ($15,000 a year from endowment) and not leave campus to find a recruit rather that use $20,000 for recruiting and stick $330,000 into endowment? Sometimes you have to spend to earn.

Comment

I guess I am just not following here. The conference has a max scholarship amount, all schools are trying to get there, a handful already are or on our way.

In order to field a team you have to offer what you have and utilize academic scholarships to cover the rest. If coaches dont travel to recruit, they will not get athletes. If you dont get athletes and go with walk-ons you are fielding an intramural team.

Alumni aren't going to increase their donations unless they see a vision for the future. You dont have that without going out to get some talent.

If a team can bring in $350,000 in one year in yearly giving (in my earlier example) you would rather put all of that toward one scholarship ($15,000 a year from endowment) and not leave campus to find a recruit rather that use $20,000 for recruiting and stick $330,000 into endowment? Sometimes you have to spend to earn.
            I believe we are on different wave lengths. I am talking about non scholarship programs. Mainly D3. Not sure how Pioneer League Non scholarship football works. I assume same as D3.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                I believe we are on different wave lengths. I am talking about non scholarship programs. Mainly D3. Not sure how Pioneer League Non scholarship football works. I assume same as D3.
                Haha, totally makes more sense now. My bad

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  Regardless of what happens, it is impressive what Augustana has done since joining the conference. They were arguably an afterthought for some folks in terms of the four teams that came over when the NCC folded. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that today it may be the strongest of those four programs top to bottom.
                  However, unlike SCSU, UMD, and MSU, they have no Division I hockey programs to support. Hence, can afford to place more emphasis on the sports they do have.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                    However, unlike SCSU, UMD, and MSU, they have no Division I hockey programs to support. Hence, can afford to place more emphasis on the sports they do have.
                    I'm not trying to be snarky or anything here...but wasnt that the case when you all were in the NCC?

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                      Also Bemidji.

Comment

I'm not trying to be snarky or anything here...but wasnt that the case when you all were in the NCC?
                        MSU men's hockey has been D1 since 1996-97. They joined the WCHA in 1999, evidently the year that they started women's hockey. To give you an idea of how much of a stress women's hockey puts on the budget- just look at UND, where hockey is king and they dropped that program.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          MSU men's hockey has been D1 since 1996-97. They joined the WCHA in 1999, evidently the year that they started women's hockey. To give you an idea of how much of a stress women's hockey puts on the budget- just look at UND, where hockey is king and they dropped that program.
                          Still, to NSU's point, those three programs seemed more stable/consistent top to bottom in the NCC than Augie was. Maybe that was just in the bigger sports though?

Comment

Still, to NSU's point, those three programs seemed more stable/consistent top to bottom in the NCC than Augie was. Maybe that was just in the bigger sports though?
                            Never thought of Augie as a football school. MSU had a pretty good record against them in men's BB, but not as much with women's BB. Augie WBB seemed to be able to upset the UND-NDSU's once in a while- no one seemed to win titles besides them- and I mean national titles, not just NCC. I thought that they had good cross country and track. Without checking standings it would be hard to know.

Comment

I remember my formula for success in the 18 game NCC season. You needed to sweep your home games. That gave you ten wins. Then you had to win half of your road games. If you went 14-4 most years you would be in the running for the title or at least a playoff spot.

Comment

I'd argue that Augustana's commitment to athletics over the recent years is the main difference. They are also the only private institution that made the switch from NCC to NSIC, that alone can help clear some potential hurdles.

MSU was never any good in football in the NCC. They had two separate small windows of success but nothing close to what they are now. Same with basketball, although they did have slightly more success there especially towards the end of the conference's run.

As an entire program, MSU has seen MUCH more success since moving to the NSIC than they had in the NCC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X