Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

For Iowa NAIA schools I would think Grand View would seem like the most obvious candidate. I would be a bit nervous with Grand View though. The Des Moines market is desirable, and Grand View has had a great run recently in athletics. Football, wrestling, golf have all been at the top of the NAIA national scene. But last I knew, Grand View had a sub 20 million dollar endowment and annual giving in the 2-3 million dollar range. I question if they could afford the D2 move.

As far as Iowa D3 schools. The Iowa Conference...now named the American Rivers Conference after adding Nebraska Wesleyan has been remarkably stable over the years. Buena Vista, Central, Luther, and Simpson are original members dating back to 1922. Loras joined in 1926, left in 1954, came back in 1986. Dubuque joined in 1929. Wartburg joined in 1936. Coe joined in 1998. Nebraska Wesleyan 3 years ago.

I mentioned Buena Vista earlier as being a bit similar to Upper Iowa. They are somewhat on an island in western Iowa with no other conference schools all that close to them. BV is down to about 700 students on campus, but they have about a 125 million dollar endowment and they do have a revenue stream with off campus centers located around the state (similar story as Upper Iowa).

I really don't think Luther would be interested in moving D2, but they would have the means to do it. Located near the Minnesota border, 165 million dollar endowment, strong annual giving, in the process of athletics facilities improvements including an indoor practice facility.

Dubuque I think would be a long shot as well, but they would also have the finances to pull it off. A 150 million dollar endowment, enrollment of 2k, nice athletics facilities, including an indoor practice facility, Dubuque is a decent sized community and would move the conference footprint closer to Chicago. But...that would make no sense for schools in the Dakotas and I think in the end neither Dubuque or the NSIC would be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      I can't think of even one UMAC team that would be able to move up.

MIAC- of course St John's and St Thomas have the money. But they don't want to leave their exclusive club either. St Thomas was rumored to go D1 as far back as the 1970's- Sid Hartman even wrote about it in him columns. He said that they would change their name to the University of St. Paul for national recognition. But that never happened.

Concordia of Moorhead? Well, that would be two schools in the same town. The MIAC seems to like what they have, I haven't heard complaints.

I can't think of possibilities other than the ones that you named. I suppose that somebody could come out of nowhere.
      This would be a long shot but maybe Michigan tech or northern Michigan? Kinda in the geographical footprint.... but the two schools are pretty stable and have some history with NSIC schools.

A more Dramatic move is that the NSIC ceases operations and starts a new conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
        This would be a long shot but maybe Michigan tech or northern Michigan? Kinda in the geographical footprint.... but the two schools are pretty stable and have some history with NSIC schools.

A more Dramatic move is that the NSIC ceases operations and starts a new conference.
        I'm guessing they'd like to stick together. It would be fun to add them, or one of them but it would also put their conference at an odd number right? It is just too big of distance I think but SD Tech, BH and Chadron are kind of a group of three out that way. Maybe you could group Chadron with Wayne as a travel partner but again, such a long drive. As we know travel can be a factor at our level.

Comment

I suspect we will go along for 3-4 years have 15 teams. Then UMC will leave. That is what I suspect.

Option two that is likely, adding Jamestown but I don't see that as likely.

3rd option, Upper Iowa goes east, but contrary to what some folks think, I think Upper Iowa likes being in the league and is a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Concordia of Moorhead? Well, that would be two schools in the same town. The MIAC seems to like what they have, I haven't heard complaints.
            The only positive of this would be the renewed cross-town rivalry. Other than that, I dont think it makes sense. They do have a strong alumni base and probably (I didnt look but I live in Moorhead) would draw much larger crowds than 75% of the conference. I dont see them going anywhere as they wouldn't want to lose their tradition games against St Thomas or St Johns

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
              I suspect we will go along for 3-4 years have 15 teams. Then UMC will leave. That is what I suspect.

Option two that is likely, adding Jamestown but I don't see that as likely.

3rd option, Upper Iowa goes east, but contrary to what some folks think, I think Upper Iowa likes being in the league and is a good fit.
              I dont think Jamestown makes the jump. I think they could get the funding but I dont they they're at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                Based on the NSIC press release last Thursdsy isnt it likely Augie will be in the conference for two more years: 19-20 and 20-21?
                When they said 2 more years, I took that as....possibly as long as 2 years. I think they get a Summit invite in the coming months (which changes everything) and then Augie doesn't need to speak with caution about their plans, and the result would be them in the NSIC for 1 more year..and move to FCS after that. 100% my own take there.

Comment

I can't believe Augie would make this move without consulting their longtime and faithful travel partner. Tsk, tsk tsk.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    When they said 2 more years, I took that as....possibly as long as 2 years. I think they get a Summit invite in the coming months (which changes everything) and then Augie doesn't need to speak with caution about their plans, and the result would be them in the NSIC for 1 more year..and move to FCS after that. 100% my own take there.
                    My interpretation of the NSIC bylaws is that it would have to be 2021. Now, maybe they can get out of that early, but I'm just going by what I'm reading....

Any member institution may withdraw from the NSIC by filing with the Commissioner and with the Chair of the Board of Directors on or before December 31 of any year, an official notice of withdrawal signed by the Chief Executive Officer of the institution. The withdrawal shall become effective June 30 of the second year following the filing.

They would have to be accepted into the Summit in the next two weeks in order to speed up the process to leave in 2020, according to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                      My interpretation of the NSIC bylaws is that it would have to be 2021. Now, maybe they can get out of that early, but I'm just going by what I'm reading....

Any member institution may withdraw from the NSIC by filing with the Commissioner and with the Chair of the Board of Directors on or before December 31 of any year, an official notice of withdrawal signed by the Chief Executive Officer of the institution. The withdrawal shall become effective June 30 of the second year following the filing.

They would have to be accepted into the Summit in the next two weeks in order to speed up the process to leave in 2020, according to that.
                      Last edited by North Ala Screwdriver; 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I don't know if you think you are presenting evidence that's contrary to what I posted, but that's pretty much exactly what I've already outlined. I copied the italicized in my previous post from the NSIC bylaws, so yes there is something on regular members.

Dec. 31 is the deadline imposed by the NSIC. The timeframe for an NCAA year has nothing to do with it. And the December deadline has nothing to do with me thinking it's a Jan-Dec calendar either. That is the date to which the "June 30 of the second year following the filing" is imposed. If they withdraw on Jan. 2, they aren't getting out of the conference before 2021. That's what "on or before December 31" means. It wasn't just thrown in there willy-nilly. All schools have to abide by the conference bylaws.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                          I can't believe Augie would make this move without consulting their longtime and faithful travel partner. Tsk, tsk tsk.
                          South Dakota State?

Oh wait, that was a while ago!

Comment

Here is the link for the David Brown interview with Augie's newer AD Josh Morton.

I thought David did a real nice job putting good questions out there for the interview. Josh addresses their status with the NSIC at the 4:15 mark.

First time I heard the interview, one thing stood out to me..

David: "Is it safe to say that you'll be a member of the NSIC for the 2019-2020 season?"

Josh: (with some hesitation says the following) "Yeah..uh..I..I..I..I think it's safe to say that.."

It struck me a bit as odd that he was a bit hesitant in that reply....almost like he didn't want to say with certainty that Augie was going to be in the NSIC in 2019-2020. Does anyone else hear it the way I did here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcRs...ature=youtu.be

Comment

It struck me a bit as odd that he was a bit hesitant in that reply....almost like he didn't want to say with certainty that Augie was going to be in the NSIC in 2019-2020. Does anyone else hear it the way I did here?

I think David's immediate follow-up though squashes any possible concern about that.

Comment

Here is the link for the David Brown interview with Augie's newer AD Josh Morton.

I thought David did a real nice job putting good questions out there for the interview. Josh addresses their status with the NSIC at the 4:15 mark.

First time I heard the interview, one thing stood out to me..

David: "Is it safe to say that you'll be a member of the NSIC for the 2019-2020 season?"

Josh: (with some hesitation says the following) "Yeah..uh..I..I..I..I think it's safe to say that.."

Just watched quick, cant watch it all now. I thought just before that was puzzling. "We've been good partners, they've been good partners. We want what is best for the NSIC and of course, ehats best for Augustana."

To me, I just don't know that this is a done deal. The Summit would surely like Augie to solidify some of the other sports I'm sure, but if it came to a vote, do we know that atleast four of the schools in the conference wouldnt say no? If not them, then who invites Augie? Do they need to tread lightly in case no one invites them? Right now I would say Augie needs the NSIC more than the NSIC needs it. Of course it would make a scheduling hole, but, just as the Summit went through last year, it is manageable. Dont even know if it's doable but what if everyone just said, fine you want out, you are out after this year. Augie would have entire seasons to fill schedules. Granted money talks to so if you burn Augie maybe you burn your Sioux Falls bridge?

Man, who needs reality TV when you get this!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X