Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

You never know what is going on behind the scenes. Last year the Summit lost IUPUI. Is Ft Wayne next? Is UMKC coming back to the Summit? They did let Oral Roberts back in after they went Southland for a short time.

I can't see Augie in the WAC. The San Andreas Fault is more stable than that conference.

Comment

What is the lawsuit penalty for breaking the bylaws? The release fee was stated by Augueholic at $50k, which is nothing.

If Augie gets an invite from the Summit or another conference and wants to leave prior to the 'official bylaw timeline' what would be the actual repercussions? Not able to come back to the conference? Or would it actually be something that may matter?

I'm not saying they should just bail. But what would be the penalty if they did?

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
        What is the lawsuit penalty for breaking the bylaws? The release fee was stated by Augueholic at $50k, which is nothing.

If Augie gets an invite from the Summit or another conference and wants to leave prior to the 'official bylaw timeline' what would be the actual repercussions? Not able to come back to the conference? Or would it actually be something that may matter?

I'm not saying they should just bail. But what would be the penalty if they did?
        Probably similar to what happened when IUPUI left the Summit. They just cut ties and said "bye"

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
          Probably similar to what happened when IUPUI left the Summit. They just cut ties and said "bye"
          I was surprised that they let them go so easily. They had to change all of their schedules in short order- they didn't give them a year's notice, I think it came in March.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            I was surprised that they let them go so easily. They had to change all of their schedules in short order- they didn't give them a year's notice, I think it came in March.
            I messaged someone on staff right away and said do whatever you can! Cancel games and schedule NDSU and SDSU and USD fast! Haha wish it would have happened.

Comment

This is what I thought. While it would be 'unprofessional' there really wouldn't be much penalty to the school and they can work with whatever timeline fits them.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                When they said 2 more years, I took that as....possibly as long as 2 years. I think they get a Summit invite in the coming months (which changes everything) and then Augie doesn't need to speak with caution about their plans, and the result would be them in the NSIC for 1 more year..and move to FCS after that. 100% my own take there.
                Thing is, if they don't get an invite within the next week or so, that puts their recruiting at both the D2 and D1 levels in serious limbo. An invite after the new year would force the transition to start a year later and last a total of 5 year (I could be wrong though in my interpretation of both NSIC and NCAA rules when it comes to leaving and transitioning). If I am correct in what I have read though, Augustana would essentially lose out on an entire year of recruiting because no kid with D1 talent will commit with no chance of of playing in the postseason even with a redshirt, and you really can't go after D2 kids because that will set you back even further when you finally are eligible to play in the postseason. Again, I could have misread the rules and if that is the case I'd love to learn more about it and become educated so I have better understanding on all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by MaroonJackRabbits View Post
                  Thing is, if they don't get an invite within the next week or so, that puts their recruiting at both the D2 and D1 levels in serious limbo. An invite after the new year would force the transition to start a year later and last a total of 5 year (I could be wrong though in my interpretation of both NSIC and NCAA rules when it comes to leaving and transitioning). If I am correct in what I have read though, Augustana would essentially lose out on an entire year of recruiting because no kid with D1 talent will commit with no chance of of playing in the postseason even with a redshirt, and you really can't go after D2 kids because that will set you back even further when you finally are eligible to play in the postseason. Again, I could have misread the rules and if that is the case I'd love to learn more about it and become educated so I have better understanding on all of this.
                  As a fairly unbiased observer of the Summit and seeing Augie, most of Augustana's athletics would step in just fine as is (assuming it is the Summit). The MVFC is a whole different beast and the separation between that and NSIC football is far, far greater than any Summit athletics program and where the top NSIC team is.

I know how that may sound to any Summit team fanbase, but if you watch you can see it. Again just talking about the top of any sport in the NSIC, not as a whole so much.

So, would they recruit different? Probably, but depending on what football does would be the biggest problem of that debacle.

Comment

As a fairly unbiased observer of the Summit and seeing Augie, most of Augustana's athletics would step in just fine as is (assuming it is the Summit). The MVFC is a whole different beast and the separation between that and NSIC football is far, far greater than any Summit athletics program and where the top NSIC team is.

I know how that may sound to any Summit team fanbase, but if you watch you can see it. Again just talking about the top of any sport in the NSIC, not as a whole so much.

So, would they recruit different? Probably, but depending on what football does would be the biggest problem of that debacle.
                    Definitely agree that Augustana is fairly talented at many sports but their is a defiant gap between a D2 athlete and a D1 athlete. Out of all the sports Augustana offers I don't think many garnered a lot of D1 interest but I could be wrong in that as well.

This could be the wrong place to post but I was also curious if anyone knows how Augustana can take all of their sports D1 as the AD Josh Morton mentions in the video that Matt shared? Would there not be any Title IX issues? Or does football going non scholarship help that because obviously jumping from under the D2 limit of 36 to having to guarantee 63 full scholarships is going to propose a lot of problems or am I wrong? Sorry, have not fully read up on Title IX

Comment

Definitely agree that Augustana is fairly talented at many sports but their is a defiant gap between a D2 athlete and a D1 athlete. Out of all the sports Augustana offers I don't think many garnered a lot of D1 interest but I could be wrong in that as well.

This could be the wrong place to post but I was also curious if anyone knows how Augustana can take all of their sports D1 as the AD Josh Morton mentions in the video that Matt shared? Would there not be any Title IX issues? Or does football going non scholarship help that because obviously jumping from under the D2 limit of 36 to having to guarantee 63 full scholarships is going to propose a lot of problems or am I wrong? Sorry, have not fully read up on Title IX
                      Literally every Augie sport except for mens golf has qualified for NCAA postseason play over the last few years. Outside of Mankato I cant think of another NSIC school that could claim success of that breadth. Obviously that doesnt guarantee success at the D1 level but it makes the leap much more plausible.

Augustana will take all sports D1 because you can no longer have single sports at D1 and others at lower levels- SCSU, Kato, Bemidji, and UMD were grandfathered in when the rule changed. If they keep scholarship football you increase female scholarships by an equitable amount and if you go non-scholarship football the math is much easier. Scholarships #s in sports and in total will change but Title IX is such a notable item that I'm sure it was part of the plan Augie put together.
                      Last edited by Augieholic; 12-19-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Some sports are easier for compare and contrast than others so I went with the easiest.

This year at the Griak (one of the premier cross country meets in the country) most the NSIC schools competed as well as the regional Summit teams. Now, the D1 runners run in a separate race that D2, but same distance on the same course makes an easy comparison.

Just comparing the times of SDSU men (10th best in the D1 midwest region and won the Summit) would have edged out the Augie men by a very slim margin. In fact, Augie had seven runners that were fast that the 6th runner for SDSU, but you only score five.

On the womens side I compared the USD women (Summit champs and 6th at the D1 midwest regional) to Mary who is just a touch better than Augie. While Mary women would have been beaten out by USD again, fairly close. In fact, Mary and Augie women would have likely finished 2nd and 3rd in the Summit meet.

I can go through later and get a better scoring for you or answer and questions but that is the gist. When I have more time I can go through track though that would take much longer and Mankato men would likely be the ones better than almost all of the Summit league.

I know people think there is a huge difference in a D1 athlete vs. a D2 athlete but at this particular level, it isn't that big. I was dead set on going to SDSU near the beginning of the D1 move, however I chose NSU over the Jacks. So which category would I fit in exactly? NDSU men are getting a kid for hoops this year that most of the NSIC would have liked to have but he was dead set on D1 and the Bison. Time will tell how he does. I personally think he would have been a nice D2 player, but I dont think he will do much to help a struggling Summit League program.

Listen, I have spent many years disliking Augie, but they will transition just fine into all or most of the Summit League sports, like I said, MVFC would be a totally different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                          Literally every Augie sport except for mens golf has qualified for NCAA postseason play over the last few years. Outside of Mankato I cant think of another NSIC school that could claim success of that breadth. Obviously that doesnt guarantee success at the D1 level but it makes the leap much more plausible.

Augustana will take all sports D1 because you can no longer have single sports at D1 and others at lower levels- SCSU, Kato, Bemidji, and UMD were grandfathered in when the rule changed. If they keep scholarship football you increase female scholarships by an equitable amount and if you go non-scholarship football the math is much easier. Scholarships #s in sports and in total will change but Title IX is such a notable item that I'm sure it was part of the plan Augie put together.
                          I still don't understand how they can take all sport D1, unfortunate for the student-athletes and coaches but something will most certainly have to be cut if they ever join the MVFC. Financially they can't afford the D2 allotment in football so jumping to 63 full scholarships AND adding at minimum 27 (would be more since I based the number of the 36 at the D2 level) women's scholarships (also not sure which female sports are full funded scholarship wise at the moment) but you can't just "increase" female scholarships if they are already fully funded. Augustana sure has its work cut out for them on this issues (and even more so in facilities) before the ever officially make jump. Sure will be fun to watch it play out though.

Comment

Some sports are easier for compare and contrast than others so I went with the easiest.

This year at the Griak (one of the premier cross country meets in the country) most the NSIC schools competed as well as the regional Summit teams. Now, the D1 runners run in a separate race that D2, but same distance on the same course makes an easy comparison.

Just comparing the times of SDSU men (10th best in the D1 midwest region and won the Summit) would have edged out the Augie men by a very slim margin. In fact, Augie had seven runners that were fast that the 6th runner for SDSU, but you only score five.

On the womens side I compared the USD women (Summit champs and 6th at the D1 midwest regional) to Mary who is just a touch better than Augie. While Mary women would have been beaten out by USD again, fairly close. In fact, Mary and Augie women would have likely finished 2nd and 3rd in the Summit meet.

I can go through later and get a better scoring for you or answer and questions but that is the gist. When I have more time I can go through track though that would take much longer and Mankato men would likely be the ones better than almost all of the Summit league.

I know people think there is a huge difference in a D1 athlete vs. a D2 athlete but at this particular level, it isn't that big. I was dead set on going to SDSU near the beginning of the D1 move, however I chose NSU over the Jacks. So which category would I fit in exactly? NDSU men are getting a kid for hoops this year that most of the NSIC would have liked to have but he was dead set on D1 and the Bison. Time will tell how he does. I personally think he would have been a nice D2 player, but I dont think he will do much to help a struggling Summit League program.

Listen, I have spent many years disliking Augie, but they will transition just fine into all or most of the Summit League sports, like I said, MVFC would be a totally different discussion.
                            Thanks for all the great info, I appreciate it! Certainly not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers just genuinely curious about how it all works.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info, I appreciate it! Certainly not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers just genuinely curious about how it all works.
                              No worries, no Ruffles here though I could always go for a bag of chips. Haha

Being a D2 guy I just always get a little passionate about how the general perception is "D1 is better than D2 no matter what." Which of course across the board is very much true, but in individual cases, very much is not true. Kids make their own decisions, if D1 is all that matters then go ahead, do your thing. Just a matter of something like would you like to compete for a D2 title or go finish 7th at a D1 regional, be borderline nationally ranked and never run at a national meet? (In the case of XC)

Again, to each their own, I'm not into telling people what is important to them, that's their own thing to figure out.

Comment

Of course, all of that Augie praise has made me sick and now I bring an article of how all this could potentially be causing damage to one of their most successful programs. The timing kind of lines up with what was announced not many days later.

http://www.augiemirror.com/change-in...pset-athletes/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X