Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by MaroonJackRabbits View Post
    I still don't understand how they can take all sport D1, unfortunate for the student-athletes and coaches but something will most certainly have to be cut if they ever join the MVFC. Financially they can't afford the D2 allotment in football so jumping to 63 full scholarships AND adding at minimum 27 (would be more since I based the number of the 36 at the D2 level) women's scholarships (also not sure which female sports are full funded scholarship wise at the moment) but you can't just "increase" female scholarships if they are already fully funded. Augustana sure has its work cut out for them on this issues (and even more so in facilities) before the ever officially make jump. Sure will be fun to watch it play out though.
    Sorry if I've missed your acknowledgement of this, but you are aware that Augie would most likely go D1 non-scholarship for football, right? If so, that will simplify everything when it comes to scholarship numbers, Title IX, etc. I find it hard to believe they would even consider going to the MVFC without having heavily considered all of the facets you are mentioning, if that's even something they hope to do down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by MaroonJackRabbits View Post
      I still don't understand how they can take all sport D1, unfortunate for the student-athletes and coaches but something will most certainly have to be cut if they ever join the MVFC. Financially they can't afford the D2 allotment in football so jumping to 63 full scholarships AND adding at minimum 27 (would be more since I based the number of the 36 at the D2 level) women's scholarships (also not sure which female sports are full funded scholarship wise at the moment) but you can't just "increase" female scholarships if they are already fully funded. Augustana sure has its work cut out for them on this issues (and even more so in facilities) before the ever officially make jump. Sure will be fun to watch it play out though.
      1st of all there is almost no chance AU will play scholarship FCS football. Look for the Horizon league like Drake in football. Facility wise Argus Leader writer Matt Zimmer has stated in articles that AU's are as good or better than much of Summit league schools. The Jacks used our baseball field for several games last spring as it has an artificial infield. With no scholarships for football, fully funding other sports is manageable. Last season's D2 national champion baseball could have competed at the D1 level. 2016 NC men's basketball team played U of Iowa at Carver Hawkeye arena and won. Not bragging, but AU is ready for D1 in most sport except scholarship football.

Comment

One of the sports that will have an interesting time adjusting to D1 will be wrestling. Personally, I see it as a stretch to see them fitting into the Big 12, which is the conference that SDSU and NDSU are members of for wrestling only. Seeing as Northern Colorado, Wyoming and Utah Valley are in the conference along with with West Virginia, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, that creates a large amount of travel. The Big Ten would never accept Augustana as a member and there aren't any independent options for wrestling programs seeing as conference championships act as auto qualifiers for the Big Dance. Even if they are to get into a conference, the level of competition changes drastically from D2 to D1. Last year, SDSU beat Augie 49-0 (Augie forfeited 12 points) and that's with SDSU wrestling some of their backups. Even in the matchup with a nationally ranked D2 wrestler from Augie against a national qualifier for the Jacks, it was 12-2 in favor of the SDSU wrestler. Wrestling has drastically dropped in popularity as there are now only 76(!!) D1 programs left across the country. 41 programs have been cut since 1988-1989, with many more across D2 and D3 as well. It seems like every year there is news about a team dropping their program. I might be wrong, but I'm almost positive there was news a couple years ago that Northern State was going to cut wrestling. There was a lot of frustration from what I could gather while being far from the situation. I know that they kept the program running but I don't know if they had to fundraise in order to do so or what the current status of the program is. I've always heard a rumor that a group of wrestling supporters have tried to get a program started at Winona, but I don't believe that will happen ever. Sad to say wrestling isn't a hot commodity at most universities.

All in all, I think of any of the sports to be in the most fear of getting cut, I would have to say wrestling is probably feeling the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
          What is the lawsuit penalty for breaking the bylaws? The release fee was stated by Augueholic at $50k, which is nothing.

If Augie gets an invite from the Summit or another conference and wants to leave prior to the 'official bylaw timeline' what would be the actual repercussions? Not able to come back to the conference? Or would it actually be something that may matter?

I'm not saying they should just bail. But what would be the penalty if they did?
          I don't see the NSIC making a fuss if they want to leave after 1 more year.

We all know this is coming, we all know and have plenty of time to leave.

I see it being amicable whether they leave after 20 or 21.

Comment

Augie will be able to compete. SDSU and NDSU have doe as well or better making the move.

Augie has Sioux Falls to sell and they have some good things they can sell to kids.

They have been a good solid NSIC member but the NSIC will continue to be the best D2 league in America as well.

This will work out fine for all involved.

Comment

Hot off of the press. Chad's column on Augie.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor..._medium=social

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Comment

He knows about as much (or little) as we know. Everything is speculation.

Comment

Is the schedule limited to only 11 weeks or could teams play over 12 weeks with a bye? 15 teams cannot play an 11 game schedule as that works out to 82.5 games played. So it would have to be 10 conference games and scheduling non conference games for all 15 teams would be tricky as some of those would have to be late in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                      Is the schedule limited to only 11 weeks or could teams play over 12 weeks with a bye? 15 teams cannot play an 11 game schedule as that works out to 82.5 games played. So it would have to be 10 conference games and scheduling non conference games for all 15 teams would be tricky as some of those would have to be late in the season.
                      The NCAA would have to allow them to start a week early. I don't know if they would allow that.

Comment

"There has been a lot of talk in fan bases and message boards..."

Alright, which one of you is Chad?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          "There has been a lot of talk in fan bases and message boards..."

Alright, which one of you is Chad?
                          That was my reaction as well! John maybe? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
                            He knows about as much (or little) as we know. Everything is speculation.
                            Kind of what it felt like though atleast he got a AD interview. I'd lean heavily on Zimmer and then Witt for any non-speculating knowledge.

Comment

This goes without saying. It needed to be considered more when they were blazing the western expansion more than a decade ago. Much more difficult now.

Everyone knows this is not going to happen. The NSIC will continue to bend for them and that market until the very end.
                              Last edited by John; 12-21-2018, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                                That was my reaction as well! John maybe? Lol
                                No. I honestly do not have a lot of interest in the NSIC these days. This latest development just grabbed my attention because some people who defended the direction the conference decided to take should frankly be eating crow.

I like Chad's columns (obviously don't read them all). He does not pull any punches. I remember when Winona hosted the regionals, he didn't hold back.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X