Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Kind of what it felt like though atleast he got a AD interview. I'd lean heavily on Zimmer and then Witt for any non-speculating knowledge.
    And unbiased. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      No. I honestly do not have a lot of interest in the NSIC these days. This latest development just grabbed my attention because some people who defended the direction the conference decided to take should frankly be eating crow.

I like Chad's columns (obviously don't read them all). He does not pull any punches. I remember when Winona hosted the regionals, he didn't hold back.
      Chad, I've read some of your columns and I think they are usually pretty good as well. What did you say during the regionals back then? I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
        1st of all there is almost no chance AU will play scholarship FCS football. Look for the Horizon league like Drake in football. Facility wise Argus Leader writer Matt Zimmer has stated in articles that AU's are as good or better than much of Summit league schools. The Jacks used our baseball field for several games last spring as it has an artificial infield. With no scholarships for football, fully funding other sports is manageable. Last season's D2 national champion baseball could have competed at the D1 level. 2016 NC men's basketball team played U of Iowa at Carver Hawkeye arena and won. Not bragging, but AU is ready for D1 in most sport except scholarship football.
        I'll start by saying it has been a while since I have been back to campus, when they were still college actually, since my daughter graduated a while ago but if I remember correctly Augustana at the time did not have locker rooms for all sports outside of mens and womens hoops, football and volleyball? Maybe that has since changed, I hope so, but that alone will be a MAJOR Title IX issue and a nonstarter for the NCAA, not just a conference, to allow them to make the jump. Next it honeslty doesn't matter if football goes scholarship or nonscholarship. They have always been a below average D2 team so there is noway they can randomly even become an average D1 team unfortunately. You are 100% correct that Augustana does have two state of the art facilities in baseball and football but that is it. The Sioux Falls Arena would be a laughing stock in D1 forcing them to play at the Pentagon, which would give them a third amazing facility, but after that what do they have? And lastly, the baseball team would have struggled to make the Summit League Tournament and had a zero percent chance of beating Oral Roberts to earn an NCAA bid while the NC Basketball was great for D2, they likely don't fair as well with a complete D1 schedule and MBB is far to inconsistent to compete at the D1 level currently.

Comment

Originally posted by MaroonJackRabbits View Post
          I'll start by saying it has been a while since I have been back to campus, when they were still college actually, since my daughter graduated a while ago but if I remember correctly Augustana at the time did not have locker rooms for all sports outside of mens and womens hoops, football and volleyball? Maybe that has since changed, I hope so, but that alone will be a MAJOR Title IX issue and a nonstarter for the NCAA, not just a conference, to allow them to make the jump. Next it honeslty doesn't matter if football goes scholarship or nonscholarship. They have always been a below average D2 team so there is noway they can randomly even become an average D1 team unfortunately. You are 100% correct that Augustana does have two state of the art facilities in baseball and football but that is it. The Sioux Falls Arena would be a laughing stock in D1 forcing them to play at the Pentagon, which would give them a third amazing facility, but after that what do they have? And lastly, the baseball team would have struggled to make the Summit League Tournament and had a zero percent chance of beating Oral Roberts to earn an NCAA bid while the NC Basketball was great for D2, they likely don't fair as well with a complete D1 schedule and MBB is far to inconsistent to compete at the D1 level currently.
          Maroon Jack you make some valid and erroneous points as well as assumptive points.

1. I cannot fully answer locker room question, but the Hall sports addition lists having 6 locker rooms. Visiting football teams have a different building for lockers.

2. Augustana has been an excellent D2 program. Winning or finishing 2nd to MSU in the league all-sports points yearly and national excellence. https://www.ncsasports.org/best-coll...est-division-2

3. The Arena is a fine facility. 3500 fold down seats, 4066 capacity, 2 Daktronics video board and Augustana painted surfaces. The capacity is much higher than D1 Summit schools average in attendance. https://goaugie.com/facilities/?id=5

4. Your bold assumption that AU's NC baseball team would struggle to make the Summit tourney is an assumption. I'm thinking Augie has had more players drafted or signed into MLB minor league then half the Summit teams.

5. I say Augie's NC men's BB team would have competed easily in the mighty Summit league and when is the last time a Summit team beat a good B1G team like AU.

6. Of course some I have written is pure conjecture, just like much you have stated.
          Last edited by vikingfaithful; 12-22-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I'm excited for Augie...hope it works out well for you. I'll follow you way more than the lowly goofers

Comment

So today by chance I drove by the University of Dayton football stadium. UD is in the Pioneer league for football. They also share the stadium with the public school system.

I'll just say that if the stadiums of the other teams in the Pioneer League are comparable to UD's, Augie will easily have the nicest in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                So today by chance I drove by the University of Dayton football stadium. UD is in the Pioneer league for football. They also share the stadium with the public school system.

I'll just say that if the stadiums of the other teams in the Pioneer League are comparable to UD's, Augie will easily have the nicest in the conference.
                That would not surprise me at all.

Comment

Here are some pictures and information on the Pioneer stadiums.

http://fightmusic.com/wallpapers/pio...allpapers.html

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    Here are some pictures and information on the Pioneer stadiums.

http://fightmusic.com/wallpapers/pio...allpapers.html
                    Woof. If those are all up-to-date, then other than Drake's, I'm not sure how many of them don't get beaten out by K-O the day Augie joins the Pioneer League.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      Woof. If those are all up-to-date, then other than Drake's, I'm not sure how many of them don't get beaten out by K-O the day Augie joins the Pioneer League.
                      That reaction, especially this time of year, always makes me think of: "Buzz, your girlfriend. WOOF!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                        Frankly, UD's stadium looks a lot better in the picture above than it did in person. It really did look like a high school stadium (and not a Texas high school.)

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                          That reaction, especially this time of year, always makes me think of: "Buzz, your girlfriend. WOOF!"
                          Hilarious, because I spent about 2 minutes trying to find the perfect gif of that scene to post and couldn't come across one I liked, so I gave up. Glad it didn't go unnoticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                            Kinda funny, ironically I just got done watching Home Alone with the family an hour ago. Such a funny movie! Anyways some of those stadiums are comparable to the blake which surprises me. I thought FCS had specific stadium guidelines/requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                              Kinda funny, ironically I just got done watching Home Alone with the family an hour ago. Such a funny movie! Anyways some of those stadiums are comparable to the blake which surprises me. I thought FCS had specific stadium guidelines/requirements?
                              No- FBS is supposed to enforce attendance requirements but they don't.

Georgetown's Cooper Field is the smallest "stadium" in D1 football at 2500 capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Field

Comment

List of FCS stadiums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tball_stadiums

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X