Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    As others have said or alluded to, this is a long process that takes time and was mapped out before the announcement two months ago. Patience is a virtue.
    I for one am losing patience. I just want the team that has all the advantages out of the NSIC for good. :)

Comment

If they go non-scholarship as rumored, they won't be a countable opponent for FBS teams.

Comment

Augustana going D1 is a daunting move, I suspect they have some financial commitments in place and some blind faith. On Aug. 1 Augie hired an Asst. athletic director named David Primus who has worked for U. of Wyoming and UND in a marketing position for both schools. My assumption is that he will play a major role in fund raising. Sioux Falls is a rapidly growing city and is projected to be as populated as Des Moines IA. by 2025. There is plenty of business money in SF, a number of wealthy Alumnus and Kelby Krabbenhofts Sanford Health deep pockets Although, It was my desire that the school stay D2 my support will be there. When the move happens my D2 school will be Wayne State near where I live. Would miss the H E double hockey sticks out of this forum without a school to cheer for ;)

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          Augustana going D1 is a daunting move, I suspect they have some financial commitments in place and some blind faith. On Aug. 1 Augie hired an Asst. athletic director named David Primus who has worked for U. of Wyoming and UND in a marketing position for both schools. My assumption is that he will play a major role in fund raising. Sioux Falls is a rapidly growing city and is projected to be as populated as Des Moines IA. by 2025. There is plenty of business money in SF, a number of wealthy Alumnus and Kelby Krabbenhofts Sanford Health deep pockets Although, It was my desire that the school stay D2 my support will be there. When the move happens my D2 school will be Wayne State near where I live. Would miss the H E double hockey sticks out of this forum without a school to cheer for ;)
          Agree with you that it is a rather high risk venture, even considering the size of Sioux Falls and its' projected growth. One reason is that South Dakota already has two Division-I schools.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
            Agree with you that it is a rather high risk venture, even considering the size of Sioux Falls and its' projected growth. One reason is that South Dakota already has two Division-I schools.
            Apparently Rhode Island has SD beat with four Division I programs

Comment

I am probably in the minority but I don't see this as high risk at all.

Sioux Falls is a huge banking and medical center and growing like crazy. South Dakota's tax system will also allow this growth to continue. It isn't just no state income tax, there is also no estate tax nor rule against perpetuities which allows the very wealthy to park money there.

Also lots of medical and doctors.

Plus Krabby using Denny's money. It is a smart move by Augie.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                Apparently Rhode Island has SD beat with four Division I programs
                Rhode Island does have the advantage of almost 200,000 more residents, including the large populations of Connecticut and Massachusetts nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                  Rhode Island does have the advantage of almost 200,000 more residents, including the large populations of Connecticut and Massachusetts nearby.
                  Massachusetts and Connecticut loaded with D1 schools

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                    I am probably in the minority but I don't see this as high risk at all.

Sioux Falls is a huge banking and medical center and growing like crazy. South Dakota's tax system will also allow this growth to continue. It isn't just no state income tax, there is also no estate tax nor rule against perpetuities which allows the very wealthy to park money there.

Also lots of medical and doctors.

Plus Krabby using Denny's money. It is a smart move by Augie.
                    All that may be. However, the area around Sioux Falls is not at all densely populated. The question to me would be if they can build on their current fan base adequately. I would assume many collegiate sports followers in SF are already aligned with USD or SDSU. Good for Augustana if they can make this move work, but to me it is rather a high-risk venture.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                      Massachusetts and Connecticut loaded with D1 schools
                      Yes. You'd really have to do a study based upon college age population and all that. I did one about 15 years ago when people kept complaining about UND or NDSU being good because they were the "only game in town" in their state. What I found out then was that, basically, California had the most students to pick from and West Virginia had the least. Others could have it better or worse but only states in which Division II football team existed were researched.

Comment

All that may be. However, the area around Sioux Falls is not at all densely populated. The question to me would be if they can build on their current fan base adequately. I would assume many collegiate sports followers in SF are already aligned with USD or SDSU. Good for Augustana if they can make this move work, but to me it is rather a high-risk venture.
                        To me you don't know unless you try. You probably bring alot of those "fans" in going D1. Most of those people only pick USD or SDSU because they're the only D1 schools in town and it's always cooler to be a fan of D1 school.

Comment

This right here. Augie's fan base isn't going to grow just because they go D1. An SDSU or USD fan isn't just going to jump ship and start cheering for the new kid on the block.

Comment

Originally posted by MaroonJackRabbits View Post
                            This right here. Augie's fan base isn't going to grow just because they go D1. An SDSU or USD fan isn't just going to jump ship and start cheering for the new kid on the block.
                            They're unlikely to jump ship but the casual fan is far more likely to attend an event in Sioux Falls over driving to Verm/Brookings.

Also the "unaffiliated" fans of the growing Sioux Falls metropolis will probably feel the same way if/when Augie has a successful D1 product.

Paying customers seem like a pretty good fan base to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                              They're unlikely to jump ship but the casual fan is far more likely to attend an event in Sioux Falls over driving to Verm/Brookings.

Also the "unaffiliated" fans of the growing Sioux Falls metropolis will probably feel the same way if/when Augie has a successful D1 product.

Paying customers seem like a pretty good fan base to me.
                              Yeah, I fully agree with this post. Sioux Falls metro is 1/4 of a million people. Sioux Falls has drawn people from all over for business, especially Minnesota, it isnt like the whole city supports SDSU or USD, they may have loved there hate both fan bases enough to get behind the one that is in their city.

Comment

Say you have a kid who grew up in SD. He supports SDSU or USD because they were the only D1 options to follow. But he went to college at Augie. When Augie moves up, you don't think he's going to support his alma mater over a school he has no direct ties to?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X