Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    They're unlikely to jump ship but the casual fan is far more likely to attend an event in Sioux Falls over driving to Verm/Brookings.

Also the "unaffiliated" fans of the growing Sioux Falls metropolis will probably feel the same way if/when Augie has a successful D1 product.

Paying customers seem like a pretty good fan base to me.
    Call me crazy, but I have to disagree with that conclusion. Verm/Brookings are not bad drives at all and outside of the event USD or SDSU are playin in Sioux Falls, I think people will still travel the hour either way to see them play. You have to remember that Augie will be on the bottom of the totem poll, just as the were during their NCC days. Unfortunately for them, that always has been, and always will be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by MaroonJackRabbits View Post
      Call me crazy, but I have to disagree with that conclusion. Verm/Brookings are not bad drives at all and outside of the event USD or SDSU are playin in Sioux Falls, I think people will still travel the hour either way to see them play. You have to remember that Augie will be on the bottom of the totem poll, just as the were during their NCC days. Unfortunately for them, that always has been, and always will be the case.
      Continuing to use the "NCC days" as the reason Augie won't succeed at the D1 level is sort of like believing the earth is flat.

Comment

Continuing to use the "NCC days" as the reason Augie won't succeed at the D1 level is sort of like believing the earth is flat.
        I think AC will eventually have very competitive DI programs in everything except football.

Comment

Originally posted by StateU View Post
          I think AC will eventually have very competitive DI programs in everything except football.
          Yeah, we already went over this in the Fall, Augie already has athletic teams that would win or be in the top two or three in the Summit if they switched today. I presented plenty of data on some comparable sports. The only difficulty of this move will be the football aspect, the rest will take care of itself.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              Seems like one big flood plain, better get going on that ark

Comment

If you look back in NCC history the Rabbits were no juggernaut in athletics especially in FB, while NDSU, UNC and UND were winning NC, SDSU was generally a 6-5 to 7-4 team and the Basketball teams last NC was in 1961 I believe. States last athletic budget in D2 was 3 million bucks, it was also considered a leap of faith for SDSU to go D1 as Brookings population then was around 15K. Football aside, which will unfortunately most likely be non scholarship Augie will find their way. The longer you post the more aggressively a hate Augie tone shows, early on you stated you just wanted more info. The Summit league is not on solid ground with 9 members and the best program Bison looking around for maybe a better league. Wouldn't you be thrilled for another member to the league to add stability, and after all you think AU will be States patsy? Or maybe the Vikings won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                  To me you don't know unless you try. You probably bring alot of those "fans" in going D1. Most of those people only pick USD or SDSU because they're the only D1 schools in town and it's always cooler to be a fan of D1 school.
                  Of course you don't know unless you try it. But it is a risk, and a monetary one. Augustana does not have Division-I hockey to sink money into, as do some of its' soon to be former NSIC conference mates. So that should make the transition somewhat easier for them.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    The Summit league is not on solid ground with 9 members and the best program Bison looking around for maybe a better league. Wouldn't you be thrilled for another member to the league to add stability, and after all you think AU will be States patsy? Or maybe the Vikings won't be.
                    I can see Purdue-Ft Wayne leaving the Summit. And the Summit isn't real excited about taking UMKC back.

Comment

If you look back in NCC history the Rabbits were no juggernaut in athletics especially in FB, while NDSU, UNC and UND were winning NC, SDSU was generally a 6-5 to 7-4 team and the Basketball teams last NC was in 1961 I believe. States last athletic budget in D2 was 3 million bucks, it was also considered a leap of faith for SDSU to go D1 as Brookings population then was around 15K.
                      I didnt know SDSU was looking at D1 back in 1980...

Comment

• Comment

Just a whole lot of naysayers and BS'ing going on. Good for Augie trying to make the move. We can sit around and go in circles about how you think they'll fail but the point is they've decided to make a go of it. Best if luck to them. We should be hoping they succeed and show a path to the top level

Comment

As my friend Augieholic alluded to, this is a humorously outdated way of thinking.

Your post indicates that you're stuck thinking we're in an era when Augie was putting an embarrassing (literally embarrassing) lack of emphasis on athletics. Over the past 10-12 years, the university has CLEARLY improved its efforts toward being/staying competitive athletically. Yes, if the administration doesn't put financial support behind it like they have to, then we are going to suck like we did in the 90s. Except worse, because we'll already be taking a hit by going D1 and having to transition and stuff as it is.

Since Augie has finally started to genuinely invest in athletics, it has become an athletics program that has consistently seen high-level success across all sports at their current level. Yes, there is a major, major jump between D2 and D1, but if Augustana continues to invest in athletics to the same degree (or a greater degree) at the D1 level as they have been at the D2 level, we will be much more likely to be competitive than we EVER were in the 90s and early 2000s when the administration basically wasn't putting money or institutional support toward athletics at all.

Continuing to go with the, "They're going to suck because they used to suck" is totally your call, but it seems very closed-minded.

Comment

Not at all. It's understanding the sporting landscape and that all of Augie's success is based on the departure of the larger schools in their state. It's not a coincidence that top schools, regardless of state or conference, have stayed on top throughout history.

Comment

If you look back in NCC history the Rabbits were no juggernaut in athletics especially in FB, while NDSU, UNC and UND were winning NC, SDSU was generally a 6-5 to 7-4 team and the Basketball teams last NC was in 1961 I believe. States last athletic budget in D2 was 3 million bucks, it was also considered a leap of faith for SDSU to go D1 as Brookings population then was around 15K. Football aside, which will unfortunately most likely be non scholarship Augie will find their way. The longer you post the more aggressively a hate Augie tone shows, early on you stated you just wanted more info. The Summit league is not on solid ground with 9 members and the best program Bison looking around for maybe a better league. Wouldn't you be thrilled for another member to the league to add stability, and after all you think AU will be States patsy? Or maybe the Vikings won't be.
                                That is a great point sir and I didn't think about it like that. You are correct that more teams in the Summit League would prove to be good for the conference and the schools inside of it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X