Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by laker View Post
    This reminds me of Chappelle's Show. The Playa Haters Ball.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/v64ifb...a-haters--ball
    You regularly surprise me, laker.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      You regularly surprise me, laker.
      :good:

That is much better than irregularly surprising you!

Comment

RIP Patrice

Comment

The funny thing is I hadn't even considered the Brookings or Vermillion papers. I was only referring to the Sioux Falls media covering SDSU/USD to death. And while I don't disagree that SDSU's success influences their coverage, my point is that those schools get significantly more coverage in their moderate success than Augie gets in its best success. Even Augie's men's basketball National Championship coverage in 2016 was pretty quickly overshadowed by the SDSU NCAA Tournament coverage and the USD women's NIT coverage. And that's back when Augie had a full-time beat writer at the Argus, which they lost the following year. Frankly, that's another point: being tops in D2 still leaves the Vikings hoping they get coverage scraps in their local market. And I don't just mean the newspaper., which I recognize is a dying medium anyway. The number of TV news stories and special interest pieces isn't even close either.

Definitely agree this is the right city for a D1 program. And as far as the decision to jump goes, if they aren't prepared to invest in their success at the D1 level, then we'd better not even try. If we jump up and just try to scrap by on a bare bones budget and funding, it will certainly be a failure. But I highly doubt that would be the case at this point when hopefully everyone involved knows the stakes.

I'm glad you don't hate our Augie crew. You're probably one of only a handful of posters that doesn't strongly dislike us. Which is a shame, because we're really awesome people. :)
          Way back in the day when owning a Texas Instruments Calculator made you the envy of your classmates, Augustana was still being screwed by the Argus Leader and TV networks. Before the days of the internet in the lates 80's early 90's I used to fire off a letter every now and then to the AL about their poor Augie coverage. The best TV coverage came from KDLT, because sports director Mark Ovendon's two boys played FB for the Vikings. The print media is loosing subscribers in droves these days. Augustana has always been a distant 3rd option by the media and I do not see any scenario that will change that. You are correct MrA we AU posters are a nice bunch. People do not generally like us with the exception of MSU fans, because they also are privy to a powerful program ;)
          Last edited by vikingfaithful; 05-31-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            People do not generally like us with the exception of MSU fans, because they also are privy to a powerful program ;)
            I just like you because you are a good person. That tends to hold true to almost everybody that I have met from the D2 board. Maybe I've been lucky and haven't met the dinks yet!

Comment

The funny thing is I hadn't even considered the Brookings or Vermillion papers. I was only referring to the Sioux Falls media covering SDSU/USD to death. And while I don't disagree that SDSU's success influences their coverage, my point is that those schools get significantly more coverage in their moderate success than Augie gets in its best success. Even Augie's men's basketball National Championship coverage in 2016 was pretty quickly overshadowed by the SDSU NCAA Tournament coverage and the USD women's NIT coverage. And that's back when Augie had a full-time beat writer at the Argus, which they lost the following year. Frankly, that's another point: being tops in D2 still leaves the Vikings hoping they get coverage scraps in their local market. And I don't just mean the newspaper., which I recognize is a dying medium anyway. The number of TV news stories and special interest pieces isn't even close either.

Definitely agree this is the right city for a D1 program. And as far as the decision to jump goes, if they aren't prepared to invest in their success at the D1 level, then we'd better not even try. If we jump up and just try to scrap by on a bare bones budget and funding, it will certainly be a failure. But I highly doubt that would be the case at this point when hopefully everyone involved knows the stakes.

I'm glad you don't hate our Augie crew. You're probably one of only a handful of posters that doesn't strongly dislike us. Which is a shame, because we're really awesome people. :)

Comment

Another thing with Bethany- they first started giving four year degrees in 2001. I always knew them as a junior college up until then.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                  Another thing with Bethany- they first started giving four year degrees in 2001. I always knew them as a junior college up until then.
                  Yup, they were a JUCO prior to then. Of the 600 student, it was about 50-60% athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                    Yup, they were a JUCO prior to then. Of the 600 student, it was about 50-60% athletes.
                    Yes, I had a number of my student/athletes go there.

Comment

Oh I absolutely get that it's supply and demand. The Argus writer, for example, has mentioned more than once that they have to go with the coverage that gets them the most clicks, and Augie certainly is not winning in that regard. My hope with a D1 transition is that we would be able to establish a pseudo-alumni base of bandwagon fans (even if they aren't actual alums) as we grow in popularity.

That's by no means a guarantee, just the hope I would have based on the size of the city and the lack of a D1 presence within city limits.

And I know you yourself were acknowledging that the second part I bolded from your post was essentially coming back around to my initial point, but that's really what it comes down to. If D2 continues to be more and more of an afterthought, the options are to either accept that and roll with it or try do something that elevates your status. At this point, I would rather see us try than continue fading Into relative obscurity by comparison to the other schools in this area that are D1.

Comment

At this point, I would rather see us try than continue fading Into relative obscurity by comparison to the other schools in this area that are D1.
                        I feel this in my bones!! Don't let anyone make ya feel bad for wanting more for your school, nit saying anyone here in particular is attempting to do that, but on the whole any mention of going up is almost immediately met with naysayers.

Comment

My dream for Mankato would be. MVC (with most of the other midwest state-state institutions and better than the Summit), MVFC (old NCC and premier FCS conference), Big 12 in wrestling (completely doable affiliate of a P5 conference), NCHC (best conference in hockey), WCHA.

Comment

Mr. A,
                            Is there a date by which you think the school will announce specifics of the D-I move?

What is your guess on timeframe for entering D-I? Next year?

What about conference membership? Summit, WAC, or independent?

Do you see football getting the money necessary to go to 63 equivalencies? Or is nonscholarship in the Pioneer more likely? Maybe there's a Plan C for football that I haven't considered (?).

Comment

Someone on this thread compared Augie to Drake. As a Drake grad, I see a few similarities. However, if you're looking for the most similar Missouri Valley/PFL school, the answer might be Valparaiso. Valpo is Lutheran, albeit with a larger enrollment than Augie.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
                                Mr. A,
                                Is there a date by which you think the school will announce specifics of the D-I move?

What is your guess on timeframe for entering D-I? Next year?

What about conference membership? Summit, WAC, or independent?

Do you see football getting the money necessary to go to 63 equivalencies? Or is nonscholarship in the Pioneer more likely? Maybe there's a Plan C for football that I haven't considered (?).
                                Those are great questions. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of answers. But I'll do my best.

Based on what I've heard, I'm about 90% certain Augie won't go D1 by next year. I would be surprised if it was even within the next two years, but others might know more.

As far as conference membership goes, I don't believe D2s are allowed to go independent anymore (I think that rule was changed around 2008 or 2009, maybe?). If we don't get an invite to the Summit, I would be both surprised and disappointed. I definitely won't be as excited about this D1 jump if we end up having to go to the WAC. Partially because beating SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND (at least in basketball) would bring me exceeding joy. Playing teams in the WAC would bring me less joy.

No idea on football. Sorry.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X