Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
    If the conference had their choice of Augustana or St Thomas how do you think they would vote? Would they invite both?
    If they had that option I think they would go with UST. They already have the Sioux Falls market. UST would be the only FCS team in Minnesota. They would get into the Twin Cities media market. They could easily fly (or for some drive) there. The problem would be to get the NCAA to fast track them there. i doubt that they will do that.

Comment

They've got a NCAA committee looking at prospective bylaws to allow fast tracking (skipping D-II) for D-III to D-I moves. The idea may go nowhere.
      ?

Comment

Mr. Augustana, how would you feel about your school joining the WAC, if that is their only D-I choice? WAC travel was notoriously expensive for UMKC.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
          Mr. Augustana, how would you feel about your school joining the WAC, if that is their only D-I choice? WAC travel was notoriously expensive for UMKC.
          In the event that the WAC would be Augie's only D1 choice, then yes, I suppose it would be our best option. If we end up having to be in that league to establish ourselves as a legitimate D1 program before we get an invitation to the Summit, then I guess that's what we would have to do.

That being said, I'm also not completely naive about travel costs and whatnot, so it would probably take even more work to make that come together than a Summit invite would, I would imagine.

Regardless, I'm not terribly concerned about not getting a Summit invitation. In the end, I think it will happen regardless of what the other athletic directors are saying to the media to appease their fanbases. And if not, then Augie will need to decide if having to join the WAC is worthwhile for a D1 move.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I guess one advantage of the WAC would be recruiting. While WAC student-athletes take wintertime plane trips to southern California, south Texas, Seattle, and Phoenix...those in the Summit get bus rides to Siberia.

...I mean North Dakota. :wink:

Comment

If the conference had their choice of Augustana or St Thomas how do you think they would vote? Would they invite both?
              If they had to make a choice UST would be the logical choice, but I think the summit needs members now. The Summit league has been in constant flux with members I'll ask you a question. Who would be the best long term choice UST or Augie?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                If they had to make a choice UST would be the logical choice, but I think the summit needs members now. The Summit league has been in constant flux with members I'll ask you a question. Who would be the best long term choice UST or Augie?
                The plus for Augie is their location, and currently their Sanford money. The negative for Augie is their dependence on the Sanford money. If that goes away a school with 1700 students, and an endowment of $65 million won't cut it in D1

The plus for UST is their location in a large market, 9900 students, $429 million endowment, large donor base. The negative for UST is you could argue they are a bit out of the conference footprint?

Best "long term choice" would be UST because they have the means to be a D1 school all on their own. Augie is dependent on that Sanford money.

I think reality is like you say, the Summit needs members now. I think the Summit would jump at both schools. Augie is ready and willing now, they would be an easy addition for the Summit. UST is hoping the NCAA allows them to make the jump. The Summit will have to take a look and see approach with them.

All things being equal and you had to pick one or the other it would be UST for me. But things are never equal. Augie is your bird in the hand right now. UST is that bird in the bush.

Comment

The plus for Augie is their location, and currently their Sanford money. The negative for Augie is their dependence on the Sanford money. If that goes away a school with 1700 students, and an endowment of $65 million won't cut it in D1

The plus for UST is their location in a large market, 9900 students, $429 million endowment, large donor base. The negative for UST is you could argue they are a bit out of the conference footprint?

Best "long term choice" would be UST because they have the means to be a D1 school all on their own. Augie is dependent on that Sanford money.

I think reality is like you say, the Summit needs members now. I think the Summit would jump at both schools. Augie is ready and willing now, they would be an easy addition for the Summit. UST is hoping the NCAA allows them to make the jump. The Summit will have to take a look and see approach with them.

All things being equal and you had to pick one or the other it would be UST for me. But things are never equal. Augie is your bird in the hand right now. UST is that bird in the bush.
                  Would UST be content with the Summit league after a few years? Everything about UST screams the nearly all catholic Big East.

Comment

Would UST be content with the Summit league after a few years? Everything about UST screams the nearly all catholic Big East.
                    ^^^^^ correct

Comment

I don't know why St Thomas would be considered outside the conference footprint. Looks to me like they'd be smack dab in the middle of it, with schools both to the west and east, north and south.

Comment

If we're speculating about D-I's future alignment, I' d say this more likely: Big East expands to 12, adding one Eastern school and one from the Midwest.

Loyola, with the largest enrollment of any Catholic school in the U.S. (and a recent Final Four), would be the Midwestern school. If UST by that time has not only D-I status, but also a winning mbb team in D-I, the Tommies might get an invitation to join the Missouri Valley Conference.
                        Last edited by Lurkingdog; 08-18-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
                          If we're speculating about D-I's future alignment, I' d say this more likely: Big East expands to 12, adding one Eastern school and one from the Midwest.

Loyola, with the largest enrollment of any Catholic school in the U.S. (and a recent Final Four), would be the Midwestern school. If UST by that time has not only D-I status, but also a winning mbb team in D-I, the Tommies might get an invitation to join the Missouri Valley Conference.
                          Big East will be at eleven when UConn rejoins in 2020. Chicago is already covered with DePaul.

I'm sure the jockeying has already started for that 12th spot. If I had to guess, I'd look at St Louis University out of the A10.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by njmav1; 08-18-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
                            Big East will be at eleven when UConn rejoins in 2020. Chicago is already covered with DePaul.

I'm sure the jockeying has already started for that 12th spot. If I had to guess, I'd look at St Louis University out of the A10.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
                            UST is probably late to the market for the Big East, but the Twin Cities would be attractive when negotiating a TV contract.

Comment

UST is probably late to the market for the Big East, but the Twin Cities would be attractive when negotiating a TV contract.
                              Agreed. I'd also argue that TC Metro is more attractive than St Louis because it's already and NBA town.

Comment

Forgot about UConn, didn't I? Well, I'll stick with Loyola as my pick for #12. DePaul is just a placeholder.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X