Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
    Forgot about UConn, didn't I? Well, I'll stick with Loyola as my pick for #12. DePaul is just a placeholder.
    I don't think they'd pull off a MIAC style hit job. DePaul isn't doing anything that goes against the spirit of the conference.

It would not surprise me if a line of communication has been opened between NYC and South Bend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Augie d1 thread

I didn't mean to imply DePaul would be kicked out. Just saying the Big East probably wants more than token coverage of Chicago. They might want the largest U.S. Catholic school. They might want someone with good men's basketball.

It's possible that DePaul will be a "no" vote on Loyola. If that matters...

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
        Agreed. I'd also argue that TC Metro is more attractive than St Louis because it's already and NBA town.
        Why do you think being an NBA town matters? Wouldn't that split potential basketball fans?

The way TV contracts work they usually talk state populations. Missouri has about a million more people than Minnesota. Both SLU and St. Thomas are secondary to the main state school in those markets with St. Thomas geographically close to it's competition. Who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          Why do you think being an NBA town matters? Wouldn't that split potential basketball fans?

The way TV contracts work they usually talk state populations. Missouri has about a million more people than Minnesota. Both SLU and St. Thomas are secondary to the main state school in those markets with St. Thomas geographically close to it's competition. Who knows?
          I just thought that a sports town would be more attractive. There is already a pool of basketball fans. And yes, St Louis is a bigger market than the Twin Cities, but I don't know if It's a huge difference.

Having two schools in one market representing two powerhouse basketball conferences is much more interesting though IMO. Especially if a nice rivalry can be developed.

Comment

I just thought that a sports town would be more attractive. There is already a pool of basketball fans. And yes, St Louis is a bigger market than the Twin Cities, but I don't know if It's a huge difference.

Having two schools in one market representing two powerhouse basketball conferences is much more interesting though IMO. Especially if a nice rivalry can be developed.

Missouri has a larger population than Minnesota, but the MSP market is larger than St Louis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
              Missouri has a larger population than Minnesota, but the MSP market is larger than St Louis.
              I stand corrected.

Comment

Nah. MSP is probably twice as large at St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                  Beat me to it!

Comment

I stand corrected.
                    Every time I hear that I think of the Prince song U Got The Look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jCuroTbqBI

Comment

I don't know why St Thomas and the Big East are being mentioned in the same sentence. UST doesn't draw many fans unless they're playing SJU, and even then they're outnumbered 4-1. Bethel and Concordia both have better football and basketball attendance than The Toms.

Comment

Originally posted by StateU View Post
                        I don't know why St Thomas and the Big East are being mentioned in the same sentence. UST doesn't draw many fans unless they're playing SJU, and even then they're outnumbered 4-1. Bethel and Concordia both have better football and basketball attendance than The Toms.
                        I would agree. It's doubtful to me that UST would enlarge their fan base adequately, with the U of M so near. Also all of the professional sports in the Twin Cities.

Comment

Originally posted by StateU View Post
                          Living in Omaha area, when Creighton joined the big east and with some success doubled their attendance numbers. Getting a new arena helped as well. I believe they were #8 in the country with average attendance more than 16k outdrawing then Big 10 Huskers. Omaha metro area is around 500k. When we moved to NE some 20 years ago Creighton had around Northerns attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                            I would agree. It's doubtful to me that UST would enlarge their fan base adequately, with the U of M so near. Also all of the professional sports in the Twin Cities.
                            I wouldn't necessarily be so sure. I believe there is a lot of hype for D1 regardless. Now a team like the U, maybe not so much anymore after decades of failure, but new D1 team means fans, more students, more publicity, and If they get any form of success in the big sports they're fan base will grow well. They won't touch the U's fan base but they will definitely feel a nice boost in fans

Comment

One thing that UST has is WCCO. To have clear channel radio station that can cover a lot of Minnesota it is a tremendous advantage for a D3 school. Of course, St John's has their own network- a St Cloud station and one in Waseca covering southern Minnesota. Amazing.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X