Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie wants (or needs) to grow enrollment to 3k by 2030. Maybe they should test the mechanisms they'll use for growth before they attempt a move to D1.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        Interesting column from Stu Whitney..... https://www.argusleader.com/story/op...ve/3938880002/

"You're judged by the company you keep," says Daly. "We used to be mentioned in same breath as the Coyotes and Jackrabbits and Bison, and now we're bunched in with (NSIC members) Crookston, Mary and Upper Iowa. I think ."
        Typical from an Augie guy :)

On a serious note though, in most sports, they may go right back to being the also-ran. Might want to reserve comments like that until things are done.

Comment

Interesting column from Stu Whitney..... https://www.argusleader.com/story/op...ve/3938880002/
          Good article.

What is plan B if the Summit doesn't ask them to join? I don't think that the WAC would be a good option.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Good article.

What is plan B if the Summit doesn't ask them to join? I don't think that the WAC would be a good option.
            Independent?

Comment

I cant believe I'm typing this, but I somewhat agree with the premise that trench coat wearer Stu Whitney wrote. 2006 me would disown me right now.

Howevah..... unless Augie has a major gift or a conference invite to announce what do Stephanie and/or Josh gain by simply talking about the same things multiple times? Furthermore Stu conveniently ignored this piece (https://siouxfalls.business/augustan...to-division-i/) where they, among many other talking points, give a self imposed December 2020 deadline for securing a D1 conference invite.

Lastly Stu really took the easy way out by talking to four people of roughly the same age for this piece. BREAKING NEWS: ELDERLY MIDWESTERN PERSON DISLIKES CHANGE!!! Way to get a diverse look at the dialogue surrounding the D1 move Stewie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

I cant believe I'm typing this, but I somewhat agree with the premise that trench coat wearer Stu Whitney wrote. 2006 me would disown me right now.

Howevah..... unless Augie has a major gift or a conference invite to announce what do Stephanie and/or Josh gain by simply talking about the same things multiple times? Furthermore Stu conveniently ignored this piece (https://siouxfalls.business/augustan...to-division-i/) where they, among many other talking points, give a self imposed December 2020 deadline for securing a D1 conference invite.

Lastly Stu really took the easy way out by talking to four people of roughly the same age for this piece. BREAKING NEWS: ELDERLY MIDWESTERN PERSON DISLIKES CHANGE!!! Way to get a diverse look at the dialogue surrounding the D1 move Stewie.
                I've disliked him for many years but he seems to be an opinion guy and that's what he is paid to do, so it is what it is.

That said I dont understand the point of this article and no matter the accuracy it certainly doesnt come off well. IF (and I dont it will but) this backfires and they don't make the move, while still obviously successful at D2 it will make them (fairly or not) a little more disliked. Which as much as I dislike Augie, it's more the competitive part than wanting bad things to happen to them, but, one person speaking up can kind of set the tone for the view of anything now days.

Probably a whole lot of nothing, but from outsider seems like poor time for such a piece.

Comment

• I'm not giving the article a click, but depending on the wording. I know they don't for athletic scholarships, however and athletic budget pays for more than just that so that's what I'm assuming is meant here. Travel, meals... all of the facilities that all of of the SD schools have built have been privately funded, as have scholarships.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

I'm not giving the article a click, but depending on the wording. I know they don't for athletic scholarships, however and athletic budget pays for more than just that so that's what I'm assuming is meant here. Travel, meals... all of the facilities that all of of the SD schools have built have been privately funded, as have scholarships.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	6495ba60-8056-49a9-9f5f-6a4fab71987b-Hey_Augie_Billboard_002.JPG?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	444112

Billboard "paid for by Concerned Augustana Alumni" that recently went up in Sioux Falls
                      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                      2016 NSIC Champions
                      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	6495ba60-8056-49a9-9f5f-6a4fab71987b-Hey_Augie_Billboard_002.JPG?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	444112

Billboard "paid for by Concerned Augustana Alumni" that recently went up in Sioux Falls
                        Cannot say I financially contributed to sign, although I concur. Do not want football marginalized.

Comment

• vikingfaithful,

Considering Augie will probably end 9-2 or 8-3 and probably make the D2 playoffs and be relevant.........it is tough to see football being relevant at D1-AA. I went to the NDSU-SDSU game and NO NSIC team could stay on the field with either team. I would take a LONG time to get to that level. That said Augie has always been a basketball school...........so there is that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironlinks View Post
                            vikingfaithful,

Considering Augie will probably end 9-2 or 8-3 and probably make the D2 playoffs and be relevant.........it is tough to see football being relevant at D1-AA. I went to the NDSU-SDSU game and NO NSIC team could stay on the field with either team. I would take a LONG time to get to that level. That said Augie has always been a basketball school...........so there is that.
                            Although it's not set in stone, the general consensus is that if Augie went D1 their football program would join the non-scholarship Pioneer League. Nearly every NSIC team could probably compete in that league.

Comment

• As an Augie alum in favor of the D1 move, I think this sign is idiotic and I'm embarrassed that Augie alums are responsible for it.

I think it's fair to ask the question, but if you're going to make a sign like this, first of all, don't make it look like garbage (which it does).

Second of all, as I watch the state crap its pants over College Gameday coming to Brookings and ESPN showing three hours (or whatever it is) of national broadcast time in the heart of SDSU's campus, the idea that we'd prefer to commit to small time for the rest of our school's existence rather than having any aspirations of taking things to another level and staying relevant in another ten years (rather than falling behind ANOTHER ten years as NDSU and SDSU and USD and UND continue to grow and develop resources and improve over where we are or ever could be) is frustrating.

To be clear, I'm not saying we'd be at the level where we'd be bringing College Gameday to Augie's campus anytime soon (or ever), but I know for sure we never will have that opportunity if we decide to dig our heels into the ground and never take a step toward the next level.

I just keep seeing programs around us that were once our rivals rise to national prominence while we "stay" D2. The inevitable outcome of that is that we will fade farther and farther into irrelevance and obscurity as time goes on. Others may be perfectly happy with that (obviously the ones who paid for the billboard feel that way), but I personally feel like it's a lack of vision to want to just stay comfortably settled. Probably harsh, but this is my immediate, unfiltered reaction to this sign/campaign.

To be clear, if the university can't put together the resources to make the jump effectively and we try to push forward unjustifiably and without the right financial support, then I 100% agree with the "Concerned Augustana Alumnists" who paid for that sign. It's stupid to go D1 if we can't actually afford to go D1. But if Augie's administration can prove it has the resources and support to legitimately make the jump, then I'm disappointed if our "alumnists" don't see the opportunity it presents to take things to the next level and be more recognized on a national scale.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                                As an Augie alum in favor of the D1 move, I think this sign is idiotic and I'm embarrassed that Augie alums are responsible for it.

I think it's fair to ask the question, but if you're going to make a sign like this, first of all, don't make it look like garbage (which it does).

Second of all, as I watch the state crap its pants over College Gameday coming to Brookings and ESPN showing three hours (or whatever it is) of national broadcast time in the heart of SDSU's campus, the idea that we'd prefer to commit to small time for the rest of our school's existence rather than having any aspirations of taking things to another level and staying relevant in another ten years (rather than falling behind ANOTHER ten years as NDSU and SDSU and USD and UND continue to grow and develop resources and improve over where we are or ever could be) is frustrating.

To be clear, I'm not saying we'd be at the level where we'd be bringing College Gameday to Augie's campus anytime soon (or ever), but I know for sure we never will have that opportunity if we decide to dig our heels into the ground and never take a step toward the next level.

I just keep seeing programs around us that were once our rivals rise to national prominence while we "stay" D2. The inevitable outcome of that is that we will fade farther and farther into irrelevance and obscurity as time goes on. Others may be perfectly happy with that (obviously the ones who paid for the billboard feel that way), but I personally feel like it's a lack of vision to want to just stay comfortably settled. Probably harsh, but this is my immediate, unfiltered reaction to this sign/campaign.

To be clear, if the university can't put together the resources to make the jump effectively and we try to push forward unjustifiably and without the right financial support, then I 100% agree with the "Concerned Augustana Alumnists" who paid for that sign. It's stupid to go D1 if we can't actually afford to go D1. But if Augie's administration can prove it has the resources and support to legitimately make the jump, then I'm disappointed if our "alumnists" don't see the opportunity it presents to take things to the next level and be more recognized on a national scale.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X