Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer League football would kill football at Augie........why go there non-schollie when you could get one 3 blocks north or head to Morningside or another NAIA school. It could help USF because they wouldn't recruit vs Augie anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Independent?
      Can you imagine filling out an independent schedule? They would end up like the Duluth Eskimos or Morris Brown- "On The Road Again"

Comment

• You realize that UST road to D1 will take many years, up to 12 years. The NCAA will not give the Tommies a special agreement to go from D3 to D1 or more will look for that deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Independent?
          Augustana has stated they will not go D1 without a conference invite. It's to good of a situation for the struggling Summit league not to invite an I29 team.

Comment

• I don't really see how this is a problem. Augie's decision to go D1 isn't dependent on St Thomas's decision. The people who keep worrying most about Augie's transition timeline are not Augie people. Augustana's administration has repeatedly stated that they are in the exploratory stages of making a transition to Division 1 with the hope of securing an invite in the next few years. Someone should definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpret that as Augie's administration saying they are examining all angles and preparing for the next steps, not diving into the water without checking to see how deep it is first.

It has long been known that St. Thomas pretty much has the infrastructure to go D1, or at least has the resources to make it happen quickly, if they ever wanted to. Them being ready fairly quickly isn't a surprise to anyone who has followed sports in this region for the past 10 or 15 years.

Their securing of an invite doesn't necessarily mean Augie is woefully unprepared to secure an invite as well. Augie's administration is doing exactly what it said it would do when it made the announcement, which is, from my understanding, getting things in place before ultimately making a final decision. That being said, as has been noted in several news articles, Augie's administration has also been fairly tight-lipped about a lot of this process, so I could be 100% wrong too. I just have faith that the leadership at Augie doesn't want to be remembered as the leadership that basically ruined Augustana and its athletic department for the next few decades. That leads me to believe they won't make a completely idiotic decision on this moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

You realize that UST road to D1 will take many years, up to 12 years. The NCAA will not give the Tommies a special agreement to go from D3 to D1 or more will look for that deal.
              UST administration seems fairly confident that they will be competing in division 1 in 2021. While its true no school has mad the jump, this is a pretty unique circumstance Basically getting kicked out of their confernce for being too successful, and they cant go D2 because there is no hockey in that division.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I don't really see how this is a problem. Augie's decision to go D1 isn't dependent on St Thomas's decision. The people who keep worrying most about Augie's transition timeline are not Augie people. Augustana's administration has repeatedly stated that they are in the exploratory stages of making a transition to Division 1 with the hope of securing an invite in the next few years. Someone should definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpret that as Augie's administration saying they are examining all angles and preparing for the next steps, not diving into the water without checking to see how deep it is first.

It has long been known that St. Thomas pretty much has the infrastructure to go D1, or at least has the resources to make it happen quickly, if they ever wanted to. Them being ready fairly quickly isn't a surprise to anyone who has followed sports in this region for the past 10 or 15 years.

Their securing of an invite doesn't necessarily mean Augie is woefully unprepared to secure an invite as well. Augie's administration is doing exactly what it said it would do when it made the announcement, which is, from my understanding, getting things in place before ultimately making a final decision. That being said, as has been noted in several news articles, Augie's administration has also been fairly tight-lipped about a lot of this process, so I could be 100% wrong too. I just have faith that the leadership at Augie doesn't want to be remembered as the leadership that basically ruined Augustana and its athletic department for the next few decades. That leads me to believe they won't make a completely idiotic decision on this moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by msumavfan View Post

UST administration seems fairly confident that they will be competing in division 1 in 2021. While its true no school has mad the jump, this is a pretty unique circumstance Basically getting kicked out of their confernce for being too successful, and they cant go D2 because there is no hockey in that division.

Comment

• That would be interesting. Not sure how much it is costing at the D3 level= but the expense of men's (and womens) hockey at the D1 level would be high.

One thing that people don't think about in the jump to D1 is the expense of sports other than football and basketball. It is a lot- and you either have to raise a lot of money for "non-revenue" sports- or drop some of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

That would be interesting. Not sure how much it is costing at the D3 level= but the expense of men's (and womens) hockey at the D1 level would be high.

One thing that people don't think about in the jump to D1 is the expense of sports other than football and basketball. It is a lot- and you either have to raise a lot of money for "non-revenue" sports- or drop some of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	6495ba60-8056-49a9-9f5f-6a4fab71987b-Hey_Augie_Billboard_002.JPG?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	444112

Billboard "paid for by Concerned Augustana Alumni" that recently went up in Sioux Falls
                        paid for by Concerned Augustana Alumnists*

Alumnists isn't a real word, I think that sums up the level of thought put into this expression of free speech.

Comment

• Augustana's D1 announcement was a part of a plan titled "Vision 2030" which literally implies a decade plus runway for these goals. It's literally in the name.

St Thomas being punished for success by a bunch of frightened administrators left them with few realistic options and clearly the best one was apply to go D1. St Thomas has a great location, a robust amount of alums, and a ton of cash so the Summit should absolutely want them in their conference.

If Augustana is able to present a viable financial path forward to D1 sustainability, which I think they will when they are ready, to go along with a location and market which already supports them on par with numerous D1 programs then the Summit should absolutely want them in their conference as well. One may or may not impact the other. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

That would be interesting. Not sure how much it is costing at the D3 level= but the expense of men's (and womens) hockey at the D1 level would be high.

I remember hearing that Bemidji State had to build* the Sanford Center because their old arena didn't meet WCHA requirements. That was one detail for one sport to switch conferences in the same division.

I can't imagine what an entire program jumping up to D1 would cost.

(I know funding came in from all over and it's not exclusively *their* arena, but my point still stands.)

Comment

• Originally posted by msumavfan View Post

They could go D-II in everything and hockey could elevate to D-I. Since the NCAA does not sponsor a D-II tournament, the hockey team could declare to play a D-I schedule and be eligible for the D-I tournament. Hockey is the only sport that I know of that has that little loophole. If they stayed D-III, they could not do this as the NCAA sponsors a D-III tournament and a moratorium has been put in place on D-IIIs playing up to D-I.

As for BSU getting into the WCHA, it is correct, the Beavers were required to build an arena that met WCHA standards at the time. The Sanford Center was built, and then the WCHA blew up three years later. And to make matters worse, in those three years of their membership in the old WCHA, the Beavers were on "probation" which meant they could not receive any monies from the WCHA tournament.......
                              Millsy

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

paid for by Concerned Augustana Alumnists*

Alumnists isn't a real word, I think that sums up the level of thought put into this expression of free speech.
                                Alumnists makes me laugh. I wonder if this was done by people from that other Sioux Falls school?? :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X