Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Alumnists makes me laugh. I wonder if this was done by people from that other Sioux Falls school?? :)
    USF alumni don't come from money like Augie's do, so they probably couldn't afford it. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

USF alumni don't come from money like Augie's do, so they probably couldn't afford it. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Alumnists makes me laugh. I wonder if this was done by people from that other Sioux Falls school?? :)
        Would have been better if they put *Illuminati

Comment

• Or "Glitterati"

Comment

• Originally posted by Millsy View Post

They could go D-II in everything and hockey could elevate to D-I. Since the NCAA does not sponsor a D-II tournament, the hockey team could declare to play a D-I schedule and be eligible for the D-I tournament. Hockey is the only sport that I know of that has that little loophole. If they stayed D-III, they could not do this as the NCAA sponsors a D-III tournament and a moratorium has been put in place on D-IIIs playing up to D-I.

As for BSU getting into the WCHA, it is correct, the Beavers were required to build an arena that met WCHA standards at the time. The Sanford Center was built, and then the WCHA blew up three years later. And to make matters worse, in those three years of their membership in the old WCHA, the Beavers were on "probation" which meant they could not receive any monies from the WCHA tournament.......
            Just spitballing here, but didn't UMC used to sponsor D3 hockey as a D2? Wouldn't it be possible for UST to switch from the MIAC to the NCHA and keep hockey at D3 if they went to D2? I mean, I really don't see that happening, just tossing out hypotheticals.

As for BSU, I didn't think about that last part. The Sanford Center is a beautiful facility, but it seems like it's overkill for a city of that size. It's a shame they got roped into building it just for the conference to collapse in the manner that it did.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Just spitballing here, but didn't UMC used to sponsor D3 hockey as a D2? Wouldn't it be possible for UST to switch from the MIAC to the NCHA and keep hockey at D3 if they went to D2? I mean, I really don't see that happening, just tossing out hypotheticals.
              That used to be allowed, but it's not anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I kind of figured, but so much of this is new territory for the NCAA, I wonder if a waiver could be possible

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Crookston played in a D-III conference, the MCHA, but they were classified as D-II and therefore not eligible for the D-III tournament (much like Bemidji was before they made the move to D-I). BSU played in the D-III NCHA as a D-II team, but had to abide by the D-III rules of not offering athletic aid, as did Crookston. Eventually, the Beavers were even barred from playing in the conference playoffs as to not create a quandary if the Beavers won the conference tournament, and by default, leaving the autobid to the D-III tournament open.

D-II hockey at that time went completely by polling as to who would make the National Championship series. There were only around 12 teams most years in the 90s (7 titles contested), and it came down to Bemidji versus Alabama-Huntsville or Mercyhurst. The Beavers won 4 titles in six series, UAH won 2 titles in four series, and Mercyhurst was shut out in two tries. In 1999, the last year of the D-II title, St. Michael's beat New Hampshire College, but that was also the year BSU, UAH and Mercyhurst reclassified as D-I.
                  Millsy

Comment

• UN-Omaha, (a school with 5K+ students more than Augie) couldn't take football with them to FCS so why does Augie think they could? Sanford $ ? I think its 50-50 at best for a D-I Augie to have any football. As mentioned previously, its a BBall school

Comment

• Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                      UN-Omaha, (a school with 5K+ students more than Augie) couldn't take football with them to FCS so why does Augie think they could? Sanford $ ? I think its 50-50 at best for a D-I Augie to have any football. As mentioned previously, its a BBall school
                      For the most part, I agree. But my answer would be:
                      No $2MM+ hockey budget.

Comment

• At halftime of today's game Herseth, Kirby and Josh Morton were honored for something or gave away money (awards) for something.........I didn't hear what it was............but said to a friend......they are going D1

Comment

• Star*Tribune article about UST having a partner in Augie to move up.

http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...n-i/564636222/

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                            Star*Tribune article about UST having a partner in Augie to move up.

I don't know if you misread, but the title is a bit misleading. There is zero mention of Augustana as I believe this is referring to the Summit League being in full support of St. Thomas' attempts to become a Division 1 school and bypass the previously established process which requires a school to transition from D3 to D2 to D1 over time.

Sounds from the article that the Summit is very supportive which seems natural due to their somewhat shaky standing as a whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                              Star*Tribune article about UST having a partner in Augie to move up.

Comment

• Watching the Vikings game on SNF. CJ Ham got the start tonight so he could say "Augustana". Nice to see a NSIC player on here.

I hate it when they say their high school instead of their college. Who do they think that they are, Moses Malone?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X