• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by laker View Post
    I found this post on another thread. Take from it what you wish, I didn't listen to the podcast.

This is a podcast from a Sioux Falls radio station interviewing the Summit League commissioner, Tom Douple.
    https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-wi...sibility/#

The first 13 minutes is about the decision to move the conference basketball tournament (and then the SL headquarters) to Sioux Falls. Then he talks about the state of the conference at 13:40. At 14:00 talks about PFW likely leaving at some time. At 15:25 talks about WIU's struggles. At 16:20 talks about the Illinois schools in general. At 17:00 he is asked about a 10th team to the SL. He mentioned at 17:40 it would be nice to have another soccer team.
    At 18:50 he talks about UMKC: he is clear that UMKC is welcome back (they do have a soccer team, their sports are aligned with the SL, he says their is no hard feelings between SL and UMKC). To my ears he sounds pretty "gleeful" at the prospect of a UMKC return to the SL. Does he know something he can't yet tell??

At 21:50 he talks about the possible entrance of Augustana. He says that they are in the midst of studies and need to decide about certain sports (i.e., football). He is careful with his words, but sounds in general positive about the idea but interested in the specifics. It sounds like there is little direct communication between him and Augie, but I suspect there is much "back channel" communication.
    Listened to him on that Fargo station about a year ago, seemed pretty open and I heard the same thing about UMKC although it was discussed that they have some budget issues.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

I found this post on another thread. Take from it what you wish, I didn't listen to the podcast.

This is a podcast from a Sioux Falls radio station interviewing the Summit League commissioner, Tom Douple.
    https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-wi...sibility/#

The first 13 minutes is about the decision to move the conference basketball tournament (and then the SL headquarters) to Sioux Falls. Then he talks about the state of the conference at 13:40. At 14:00 talks about PFW likely leaving at some time. At 15:25 talks about WIU's struggles. At 16:20 talks about the Illinois schools in general. At 17:00 he is asked about a 10th team to the SL. He mentioned at 17:40 it would be nice to have another soccer team.
    At 18:50 he talks about UMKC: he is clear that UMKC is welcome back (they do have a soccer team, their sports are aligned with the SL, he says their is no hard feelings between SL and UMKC). To my ears he sounds pretty "gleeful" at the prospect of a UMKC return to the SL. Does he know something he can't yet tell??

At 21:50 he talks about the possible entrance of Augustana. He says that they are in the midst of studies and need to decide about certain sports (i.e., football). He is careful with his words, but sounds in general positive about the idea but interested in the specifics. It sounds like there is little direct communication between him and Augie, but I suspect there is much "back channel" communication.

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
    What's up with conference affiliation. I have not heard that Augustana has applied, much less been accepted, to the Summit League. Has the D-I move hit a roadblock?
    As others have said or alluded to, this is a long process that takes time and was mapped out before the announcement two months ago. Patience is a virtue.

Leave a comment:

• Smithers
    replied

I suspect that an announcement would be made after the Summit League Basketball tournament in Sioux Falls. In past years, this has been the time that Augie to D1 brings about the most interest. Also, consider Summit League offices are now in a Sanford building after Summit League office moved to SF this past year. This move has been in the works behind the scenes for a few years. This is all speculation on my part.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

What's up with conference affiliation. I have not heard that Augustana has applied, much less been accepted, to the Summit League. Has the D-I move hit a roadblock?
    I think people got too caught up in the release, thinking the move was imminent. It's probably not. The move will happen when they're ready to announce it. Would hardly call this a road block.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Comes on right after WKRP in Cincinnati. Better than most of the shows on TV this day 'n age. imo.
    I watch Gunsmoke reruns every day. Actually prefer the old black and white ones to the newer colorized ones.

Lots of those shows are much better than the non-reality shows that stink up the market.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied

It is still on ME TV. The interesting thing are the people who had a hissy fit about a WW2 prison camp. Klink was a Jewish German (or Austrian, which was annexed by Germany). Schulz was a poster boy for the American army during WW2. LeBeau was actually in a concentration camp. Quite a show!
    Comes on right after WKRP in Cincinnati. Better than most of the shows on TV this day 'n age. imo.

Leave a comment:

• Lurkingdog
    replied

Yep. Klink, Schultz, Burkhalter, and LeBeau were all played by Jews. When many actors were questioning whether Nazi Germany was an appropriate subject for a comedy, these guys saw the opportunity to make the regime look ridiculous. Cathartic, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Good one Brad, I guessing most people on this board have never seen Hogan's Hero's.

Maybe this D1 thing will go away and AU will stay D2. Hopefully.
    It is still on ME TV. The interesting thing are the people who had a hissy fit about a WW2 prison camp. Klink was a Jewish German (or Austrian, which was annexed by Germany). Schulz was a poster boy for the American army during WW2. LeBeau was actually in a concentration camp. Quite a show!

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Great question- I have not heard a word for a long time. I keep asking and everyone is like Sergeant Schultz.

Good one Brad, I guessing most people on this board have never seen Hogan's Hero's.

Maybe this D1 thing will go away and AU will stay D2. Hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Great question- I have not heard a word for a long time. I keep asking and everyone is like Sergeant Schultz.

Leave a comment:

• Lurkingdog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied

I think some of these might have some character to them....like Butler looks unique, Morehead might not be bad (on a closer view). But yes, Augie already has one of the nicer small college stadiums in the midwest....and it appears they might have a nicer stadium than any of the Pioneer squads. Lots of really old joints shown in that link.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

List of FCS stadiums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tball_stadiums

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Kinda funny, ironically I just got done watching Home Alone with the family an hour ago. Such a funny movie! Anyways some of those stadiums are comparable to the blake which surprises me. I thought FCS had specific stadium guidelines/requirements?
    No- FBS is supposed to enforce attendance requirements but they don't.

Georgetown's Cooper Field is the smallest "stadium" in D1 football at 2500 capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Field

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X