• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodger
    replied
    Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Benedictine in Lisle, Illinois is looking to move from D3 to D2, could that shift anyone?
    Nope. https://thecandor.wordpress.com/2018...ii-transition/

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Benedictine in Lisle, Illinois is looking to move from D3 to D2, could that shift anyone?

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Well said Witt. All of it, especially the JT part.

Regardless, exciting to see what will happen. I had in the back of my mind perhaps Dickinson State but man, poor Upper Iowa if that were to happen. I dont think they have the means but I feel they usually have some strong teams, but havent looked it up.

I'm all for Kearney or this Grandview. Seeing Jamestown would have some NSU folk nostalgic of years of dualing.

Granted they are D3 so I dont know what's doable there, but my long shot, dart horse, probably wont happen is Wartburg College. Again, just a reckless act of name tossing.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    None of these seem terribly likely.....so is there a chance a MN D3 makes the move up....? Minnesota peeps....thoughts..?
    I can't think of even one UMAC team that would be able to move up.

MIAC- of course St John's and St Thomas have the money. But they don't want to leave their exclusive club either. St Thomas was rumored to go D1 as far back as the 1970's- Sid Hartman even wrote about it in him columns. He said that they would change their name to the University of St. Paul for national recognition. But that never happened.

Concordia of Moorhead? Well, that would be two schools in the same town. The MIAC seems to like what they have, I haven't heard complaints.

I can't think of possibilities other than the ones that you named. I suppose that somebody could come out of nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied

Enough about John and his anti-Sioux Falls stuff. We've plowed that field more than enough times. We get it.

Getting back to the Augie thing..

Quick thoughts....don't use Jeff Thurn as a credible source for D2 stuff. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's nowhere near in the loop as a Sioux Falls media person or sourced like Matt Zimmer. Jeff had Jed Stugart going to USD a few years back..like it was a done deal. He put this information out carelessly as USF was at the airport traveling to their playoff game at Henderson State. (stranded in the airport for a day) USD hadn't even contacted Jed and never did. So....just sayin.

I get the impression Augie has shown some level of transparency with the NSIC office and having Augie stay for another year (likely the outcome) benefits both parties....as the NSIC loves their 16 team setup and the ease of scheduling that results. I'm guessing the NSIC doesn't want to rock the jukebox any before it needs to....so they will have a bit of time here to determine what they'd like to do, but I'd fully expect them to try and get a replacement team....instead of giving dirty looks to UMC and hoping they get the hint. I cannot emphasize this enough....but....the decisions made for conference aren't done for any individual sport. I'd suggest that the conference would look more big-picture with a prospective 16th member, with things like market size and other such visibility in mind....as long as the school fits within the conferences already existing geographic footprint..and isn't a dumpster fire when it comes to sports.

I'd then speculate some of the potential replacements (without looking into any of them in great detail) would be the following....(not Morningside - they like where they are at quite a bit)
    1-Grand View (NAIA) - in a big Des Moines market and are strong in sports....winning a natty in football and wrestling in the last 5-10 years.
    2-Nebraska Kearney (D2) - the closest team D2 team in terms of footprint, but they are still hours South of Wayne State.
    3-Jamestown (NAIA) - Within the geographical footprint but offer little else, at face value. Dakota State is well within the footprint, but they don't have much financial means.

None of these seem terribly likely.....so is there a chance a MN D3 makes the move up....? Minnesota peeps....thoughts..?

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Purdy much.

Unless you guys were joking and I couldn't tell, if that's the case I do apologize.
    I wrote the post in response to other comments about where they live and I live. My basic point was that it does not matter what anyone thinks as long as you are happy.

I also have no problem being called out (especially if it's not ad hominem). That's what message boards are about.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Originally posted by John View Post
    Wow. That's really what you took from that?
    Purdy much.

Unless you guys were joking and I couldn't tell, if that's the case I do apologize.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    This is ridiculous.

You are making unnecessary comments about where posters on this board live. They add nothing constructive to the conversation. Do you honestly expect that you aren't going to get called out for it?
    Wow. That's really what you took from that?

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Or maybe you're just too sensitive.
    This is ridiculous.

You are making unnecessary comments about where posters on this board live. They add nothing constructive to the conversation. Do you honestly expect that you aren't going to get called out for it?

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied

Originally posted by cougar1997 View Post
    "Hey kids! Get off my lawn!"
    -Cranky man named John
    You'd never hear me say that when I can always just buy a Rottweiler.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    It's unbelievable your hatred and disdain for the Dakota's. I see the population of Winona hasn't changed since I lived there 40 years ago, there were not a whole lot of jobs then and it must be the same now. As for surrounded by nothing, eastern SD looks a great deal like much of western MN.
    Or maybe you're just too sensitive. Where to live is largely a matter of personal preference. Sioux Falls is a great city, and I'd have no problem moving there if life demanded it. I would miss the scenery and being able to drive to the big cities on a whim. Western MN is part of that whole lot of nothing that I said surrounds Sioux Falls. It's mostly farmland. No offense to farmers.

I don't hate the Dakota's. I was actually born in Minot. I still like the Bison. If you were going to tell us then that schools in Minot and Bismark were going to play in the same conference as places like Winona and Fayette, I'd say "who's dumb ass idea was that?". It's nothing personal to either part of the world. There is just a lot of road between them. Ironically, the reason my parents moved to Winona was for jobs. We then had a lot of other relatives leave Minot (and other places) and move here, simply because of how nice the area is. They'd visit us, we'd go finishing, hiking, take small boat tour on the river, and catch a Twins game all in the same trip.

The jobs situation is not grim. Yes, you are obviously going to make more if you move to the Twin Cities or something, but there are drawbacks to that. There are a lot of local businesses because there has been a strong entrepreneurial spirit in this community over the decades. That's a big part of the reason why Winona has not become a ghost town like a lot of small towns have. The town is never going to grow much because it is surrounded by bluffs and a river. That's part of the appeal to a lot of people. Being in the middle of Chicago, Milwaukee, The Twin Cities, and Rochester also helps. The scenery attracts some tourism. Obviously, the universities also help the economy quite a bit.

But yeah, it's not for everyone, and it does not ruffle my feathers when my friends who have moved to the cities say that they could never live in such a quiet town.
    Last edited by John; 12-17-2018, 01:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

It'd probably be the ideal place to live if it were not surrounded by nothing.
    It's unbelievable your hatred and disdain for the Dakota's. I see the population of Winona hasn't changed since I lived there 40 years ago, there were not a whole lot of jobs then and it must be the same now. As for surrounded by nothing, eastern SD looks a great deal like much of western MN.

Leave a comment:

• cougar1997
    replied

"Hey kids! Get off my lawn!"
    -Cranky man named John

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied

Originally posted by cougar1997 View Post
    I LOVE living in the Mecca of the NSIC...

Leave a comment:

• cougar1997
    replied

Explain myself? Is this a joke? I don't even know you and you're assuming I'm bitter. These are comments that are honestly not even worth responding to. Maybe the issue is that you are judgmental.

Regarding the rest, I have already stated my opinion numerous times. I think the NSIC moved too far west. Its going to look even more ridiculous when SCSU and MSU leave. It added too many schools that did not fit the profile of the core members. Sioux Falls was always going to be the core of the conference. It doesn't work as well without Augie, to say the least. And yes, the NSIC did too much to appeal to the Sioux Falls market in basketball regarding the conference tournament, and alienated fans that do not live in the Mecca of the NSIC.
    I LOVE living in the Mecca of the NSIC...

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X