• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon
    replied
    Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    A lot of people have compared Augie's athletic budget today to NDSU's budget today, but how does it compare to the athletic budgets of all four Dakota schools when they first announced they were moving up to Division I?
    Why is that relevant?

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    A lot of people have compared Augie's athletic budget today to NDSU's budget today, but how does it compare to the athletic budgets of all four Dakota schools when they first announced they were moving up to Division I?
    Bingo!! Of course you can't compare budgets from right now.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    Agree. Trying to compete at the FCS level without a full complement of scholarships would be very difficult. It is possible of course if the money would be available, but I have no idea if it would be. Also not sure if the current stadium there, although very nice for Division II, would be suitable for Division I. Without expansion and lights anyway.
    USD is playongnits first night game on like over a decade and NDSU doesnt do them any more either. Night games shouldn't really be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track? It would be a shame to lose an awesome stadium so shortly after opening it up.
    They are building a very innovative indoor/outdoor track facility soon for track.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied

Originally posted by StateU View Post
    The press release didn't shut down the idea of a DI Augie, which tells me they want build a lot of excitement for the upcoming announcement. But I can't see Augie bringing football along for the DI ride.
    Agree. Trying to compete at the FCS level without a full complement of scholarships would be very difficult. It is possible of course if the money would be available, but I have no idea if it would be. Also not sure if the current stadium there, although very nice for Division II, would be suitable for Division I. Without expansion and lights anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track?
    Nope

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by StateU View Post
    The press release didn't shut down the idea of a DI Augie, which tells me they want build a lot of excitement for the upcoming announcement. But I can't see Augie bringing football along for the DI ride.
    Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track? It would be a shame to lose an awesome stadium so shortly after opening it up.

Leave a comment:

• StateU
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Would the MVFC not invite Augie? If I remember right the league is inviting North Dakota in after this year?

That would put the league at 12 teams with another team near NDSU to keep them happy for travel expenses

I'm sure the scholarships thing is going to be brought up but I would imagine Augie if serious about D1 would find the money to balance the Title IX ratio
    NDSU doesnt care nor want Augie for the most part. They have sights on much bigger and better things and if the right opportunity comes up the will leave for an FBS conference.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Would the MVFC not invite Augie? If I remember right the league is inviting North Dakota in after this year?

That would put the league at 12 teams with another team near NDSU to keep them happy for travel expenses

I'm sure the scholarships thing is going to be brought up but I would imagine Augie if serious about D1 would find the money to balance the Title IX ratio
    This would be incredibly unlikely to me. Augie will have to increase its budget substantially just to compete in the Summit with football going Pioneer League. The idea of them raising enough money to go to the MVFC right out of the gate seems hard to believe. But, like most things in the world, there are smarter people than me involved in those conversations and decisions.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    I'm sure anything and everything is being looked at. I'm sure it comes down to a funding thing for football, or keep football, cut a bunch of other sports and just go all in on the main revenue sports. Certainly would be a way to add seating if needed if they got into the MVFC but I wouldn't worry about that, there are schools in the conference, like where the Bison are playing this week, that are pretty scarce. While it isnt likely, perhaps the Pioneer league for football and the MVC would have interest. It would give the conference another big city to fit in nicely, a school with good basketball history and most of Augies other sports teams would already compete with what the Valley has. Would they want Augie? I dont know, but they would be a similar addition like Drake.
    My thoughts exactly. Another thought I had was what if again more what ifs...but maybe the Dakota schools UNI, Northern Colorado, and the Montana's would want to split and form a conference themselves maybe add a Drake or maybe coax another school to make the jump with Augie or kickstart UNO again.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

I'm sure anything and everything is being looked at. I'm sure it comes down to a funding thing for football, or keep football, cut a bunch of other sports and just go all in on the main revenue sports. Certainly would be a way to add seating if needed if they got into the MVFC but I wouldn't worry about that, there are schools in the conference, like where the Bison are playing this week, that are pretty scarce. While it isnt likely, perhaps the Pioneer league for football and the MVC would have interest. It would give the conference another big city to fit in nicely, a school with good basketball history and most of Augies other sports teams would already compete with what the Valley has. Would they want Augie? I dont know, but they would be a similar addition like Drake.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Augies stadium doesn't have lights. I'm not sure if the seating capacity would be adequate for the MVFC- possibly. They would have to really raise the scholarship level. Plus, the eastern MVFC teams would probably vote against them from what I have read. They think that the Summit teams in their conference already have to much power. Youngstown would for sure vote against them. They would have to be voted in.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X