• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I was referring to Mankato in that post. They aren't willing to put money into the football facility, so maybe they'd be open to cutting the program in a move up. It's probably unlikely, but it wouldn't totally shock me.
    It's actually pretty smart. Why put more money into the facility when they are at the top of the league? SMSU put money into their football facility and they are still towards the bottom of the league, and no sign of money bing up near the top half. A nice facility doesn't equal success, it just costs money.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Omaha is D1, other than hockey nobody follows their basketball program. Once my daughter and I went to a men's BB game, showing up an half hour late. They were giving the 1st 500 fans very nice hats, despite being late we both got a hat.

Lots of people talk about AU going D1, except Augie. I listened to an interview of Stephania Herseth and she stated raising enrollment to around 3000 before considering D1. Augustana is an University with athletics, not the other way around.

For over 80 years Augustana was a bottom feeder in the NCC, why would they want to go back to that. Like purple mav said about MSU, AU is enjoying their D2 success.
    I was referring to Mankato in that post. They aren't willing to put money into the football facility, so maybe they'd be open to cutting the program in a move up. It's probably unlikely, but it wouldn't totally shock me.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Which honestly makes me wonder if they'd consider the Omaha route more seriously than other programs might. They are a really good D2 program though, which makes that decision more complicated.
    Omaha is D1, other than hockey nobody follows their basketball program. Once my daughter and I went to a men's BB game, showing up an half hour late. They were giving the 1st 500 fans very nice hats, despite being late we both got a hat.

Lots of people talk about AU going D1, except Augie. I listened to an interview of Stephania Herseth and she stated raising enrollment to around 3000 before considering D1. Augustana is an University with athletics, not the other way around.

For over 80 years Augustana was a bottom feeder in the NCC, why would they want to go back to that. Like purple mav said about MSU, AU is enjoying their D2 success.
    Last edited by vikingfaithful; 06-09-2018, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Which honestly makes me wonder if they'd consider the Omaha route more seriously than other programs might. They are a really good D2 program though, which makes that decision more complicated.
    Quite unlikely. The only people that typically talk about MSU moving up are non-MSU people. They like what they've built as a D2 athletic department and at this time are quite happy with where there are at.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Thinking back to when Sanford gave MSU $5 million for Maverick basketball.

http://www.msumavericks.com/news/201...x?path=general

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    Nothing is apparently being done with the football stadium; talked about for years now but nothing happens.

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I know this is the Augie D1 thread, but MSU has been mentioned a few times. I actually would really dislike a move to D1 unless they were 100% prepared to make the jump (which includes a football stadium upgrade or all-out replacement).

Regarding both Augie and MSU, they are too good athletically at the D2 level overall to move up and be bottom feeders for a handful of years in low-level D1 conferences. It does make sense at Augie with the size and financial wherewithal of Sioux Falls. Just not sure it would work in Mankato. Mankato is a hockey town and they no longer even come close to selling out their hockey games after the conference realignment. Money would NOT be there overall for a complete move to D1 at MSU.
    Correct. Without a large financial contributor, or two, it's too expensive to realistically consider.
    Division I men's and women's hockey are expensive to maintain, and having them since the early 1990's makes moving to Division I in all sports nearly impossible. Nothing is apparently being done with the football stadium; talked about for years now but nothing happens.

Leave a comment:

• tman28
    replied

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
    I think you are right. The focus is on basketball. The problem they have is that one of the biggest financial donors they have is aligned with football. Not only does he donate but he is employed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like no scholarship D1 football would be the death of the football program. I could be wrong but I know when they considered going that route 9-10 years ago the consensus was there would be a mass exodus of football players looking for other programs. Maybe that would be the fallout before you rebuild the program under the no scholarship model but I think it would be a tough sell with very good D1 FCS teams/leagues and a very good D2 league in the city.
    And this is where I love getting information from the fans that are part of the programs base. I would think that some players would drop to other d2 schools, but I think there would be a majority of players that would stay for the D1 prestige, school atmosphere, and city experience. Also if Augie was a contender for the PFL title and a playoff spot every year (Which i think they could become) would that be good enough for the fanbase?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

I know this is the Augie D1 thread, but MSU has been mentioned a few times. I actually would really dislike a move to D1 unless they were 100% prepared to make the jump (which includes a football stadium upgrade or all-out replacement).

Regarding both Augie and MSU, they are too good athletically at the D2 level overall to move up and be bottom feeders for a handful of years in low-level D1 conferences. It does make sense at Augie with the size and financial wherewithal of Sioux Falls. Just not sure it would work in Mankato. Mankato is a hockey town and they no longer even come close to selling out their hockey games after the conference realignment. Money would NOT be there overall for a complete move to D1 at MSU.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

If Augie decides to leave I'm okay with sticking it out a few more years at D2 to watch Augie and their situation.
    I'm not going to lie if MSU went D1 I'd be thrilled I don't want to lose football but if we could keep it I want to be in the best position to be successful immediately. So take your time and let the offers come to you MSU

Leave a comment:

• Peacock
    replied

There are enough NSIC fans in Minnesota and South Dakota already - Laker will come join the flock in Iowa! #feathersup

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    WSC could offer chocolate milk by the gallon
    :bulgy-eyes::good:

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied

WSC could offer chocolate milk by the gallon

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Someone on another thread made a good point. If they dropped all of their scholarships with the intention of growing later, they would have a huge amount of ground to make up. He said that they should keep the same number for now and go Independent in FCS.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Nah, we already know he'd be a Mustang fan...
    There would be obvious geographical advantages. BLHS Mustangs, similar distance to drive, able to consume complimentary Schwan's products........

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X