Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Stadium Rankings

Saw that the MIAA Thread was doing this so I thought I would start one for the NSIC.

My criteria for the rankings is... 1. How modern the facility is. 2. The amenities. 3. The view and what surrounds the stadium. 4. The fan atmosphere.

1. Augustana
    2. Southwest Minnesota St
    3. Minnesota Duluth
    4. Bemidji St.
    5. Upper Iowa
    6. Sioux Falls
    7. Winona St.
    8. Mary
    9. Minot St.
    10. St. Cloud St.
    11. Wayne St.
    12. Northern St.
    13. Minnesota St.
    14. Minnesota St.- Moorhead
    15. Concordia St. Paul
    16. Crookston

Re: NSIC Stadium Rankings

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Saw that the MIAA Thread was doing this so I thought I would start one for the NSIC.

My criteria for the rankings is... 1. How modern the facility is. 2. The amenities. 3. The view and what surrounds the stadium. 4. The fan atmosphere.

1. Augustana
    2. Southwest Minnesota St
    3. Minnesota Duluth
    4. Bemidji St.
    5. Upper Iowa
    6. Sioux Falls
    7. Winona St.
    8. Mary
    9. Minot St.
    10. St. Cloud St.
    11. Wayne St.
    12. Northern St.
    13. Minnesota St.
    14. Minnesota St.- Moorhead
    15. Concordia St. Paul
    16. Crookston
    Not sure I can accurately rank them as I've been to about half and only viewed others on video. From what I've seen, I'm glad you ranked BSU in the top 4 because I think "The Chet" is a cool, small-school stadium that has improved. And with the view of the lake, it's pretty under-appreciated.

I haven't been to Augie's stadium, so can't say it's not better than SMSU, but that's best of those I've seen in-person.

Comment

I think the biggest change I'd make on this list is moving up Minot. Based on what pictures I've seen with their stadium upgrades, they probably deserve to be up in the Top 5.

I'd probably drop BSU because I believe Lake Bemidji is the main thing it has going for it. Otherwise, it's a pretty average stadium I think.

Comment

Haven't been to a lot of the stadiums in the NSIC, but have been to CSP and it's pretty nice in my opinion. Just not much atmosphere.
        I would place MN. State just ahead of Crookston, as the only thing it has going for it, imo, is you're close to the action. Otherwise, the place is antiquated with a terrible pressbox.

Comment

Ouch

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
            Haven't been to a lot of the stadiums in the NSIC, but have been to CSP and it's pretty nice in my opinion. Just not much atmosphere.
            I would place MN. State just ahead of Crookston, as the only thing it has going for it, imo, is you're close to the action. Otherwise, the place is antiquated with a terrible pressbox.
            Visitor's side at CSP is awful. UMC's visitor's side is even worse. At both places I try to go sit on the home side. Much better view and it isn't crowded, you have plenty of room.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              Visitor's side at CSP is awful. UMC's visitor's side is even worse. At both places I try to go sit on the home side. Much better view and it isn't crowded, you have plenty of room.
              SW had visitor bleachers planned, among other things, but none of it happened. Wonder who was in charge of that fiasco?

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
                SW had visitor bleachers planned, among other things, but none of it happened. Wonder who was in charge of that fiasco?
                If Southwest's visitor's side was halfway decent it would be #1. I like the overhang for when it is rainy or cold.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                  If Southwest's visitor's side was halfway decent it would be #1. I like the overhang for when it is rainy or cold.
                  I agree, the overhang is nice. The visitor's side is, on occasion, some modular aluminum bleachers. "Hi. If you look across the field you'll see our stadium."

Comment

Only have not been to Bemidji, Moorhead, and Crookston. Ranking more as a fan than player...

SMSU
                    Augie
                    UIU
                    USF
                    WSU
                    Kato
                    UMD
                    BSU
                    Minot State
                    Mary
                    St. Cloud
                    Wayne State
                    Northern State
                    Moorhead
                    CSP
                    Crookston

I actually like the visitor's berm at SMSU instead of bleachers. I like the green grass and natural bowl feel. Similarly, I like Augie's endzone berm. I give the nod to top stadium to SMSU though due to the open concourse and the suites having an outside seating area. USF's suites are all enclosed as well; I wish the Bob had the patios on the north and south sides of the press box/suites as it was designed to. Top 4/5 sounds about right for us. Open concourse, easily accessible tailgates.

UMD was nothing special to me, unless you move it up for one big reason. Endzone beer garden.

UIU I feel is super underrated. Beautiful at night when the sun sets. Intentionally built small, well built and cool architecture

The WSU cracker box makes for a great atmosphere and after the remodel looks the part.

Kato. Admittedly, I'm partial to the ol Blake. Endzone berm, fans right on top of you, great sight-lines, place can get loud, and that glorious natural grass. All this makes up for the press box, porta potties, etc.

Bemidji has the lake. Cool. I couldn't decide between beer or the lake, went with the beer.

Minot. Haven't been back since they finished the rest of the stadium but was making progess. But why not Minot.

Mary. Multipurpose. The Howard Wood Field of Bismarck. Kinda cool nestled into the hill but very meh.

St. Cloud. You can see the river. But not as cool as a lake. Also the one-side thing feels weird.

Wayne. I know they're remodeling but again a fairly benign stadium. I mean the grandstand is old and has some history?

Northern. See Mary, minus the cool hill. Easy to tailgate and still watch the game though; I greatly enjoyed this feature. Will dramatically move up the list when their new one opens.

Moorhead. Haven't been. Doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

CSP. Yawn. The visitors bleachers are terrifying and frequently had more USF fans than CSP fans in the stadium. Also the home bleachers being so tall and narrow is weirdly off-putting.

Crookston. Yeaaaaa.
                    Last edited by Otis Day; 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM.
                    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                    2016 NSIC Champions
                    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

If you go to Bemidji- try for an early season night game, or Homecoming.

Jumping in the lake after a Homecoming win is a classic that I'm glad I got to see in person.

UIU night games are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
                        Yes, it would've been awesome to get to Phase 2 of the project. I've seen pictures of what Phase 2 of the R/A Facility was supposed to look like too, but that never happened either. Almost makes me wonder it was intentionally drawn up that way in order to secure the necessary funding. Maybe one day the second phase would happen, but not likely...

I also go back to the fact that we don't have the rich alumni base that many of these other schools have. SMSU isn't very old, just celebrating its 50th year last year. Except for U-Mary (1959), all other NSIC schools opened about 100 years ago or more (BSU opened in 1919, the third most recent opening). Compare SMSU athletic facilities and program standing to where all of these programs were when they hit the 50-year mark.

Is it at its full potential? No, but it's still a damn fine stadium!

Comment

Very happy to see schools updating or building new stadiums. NSU will be great when finished. Swisher is the Howard Wood of the North, windy and a big ass track. From pictures of Minot's stadium it is underrated. Old MSU Blake puts you right on the action. I'm a big fan boy of Kirkeby-Over stadium.No track, sunk 6' in the ground and great handicapped viewing. UMD voice of the Bulldogs calls it a broadcasters dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            Yes, it would've been awesome to get to Phase 2 of the project. I've seen pictures of what Phase 2 of the R/A Facility was supposed to look like too, but that never happened either. Almost makes me wonder it was intentionally drawn up that way in order to secure the necessary funding. Maybe one day the second phase would happen, but not likely...

I also go back to the fact that we don't have the rich alumni base that many of these other schools have. SMSU isn't very old, just celebrating its 50th year last year. Except for U-Mary (1959), all other NSIC schools opened about 100 years ago or more (BSU opened in 1919, the third most recent opening). Compare SMSU athletic facilities and program standing to where all of these programs were when they hit the 50-year mark.

Is it at its full potential? No, but it's still a damn fine stadium!
                            From what I understand, the entire area beneath the stadium is vacant. Was supposed to be locker rooms etc. so players from both teams wouldn't have to walk two blocks to the field, but somehow the budget got...

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                              UMD voice of the Bulldogs calls it a broadcasters dream.
                              Weak point for press box at Southwest is that they broadcast from down on the goal line.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X