Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Pick'Em Week #2 - Chat

Mary at Bemidji State - Bemidji won on the road in pretty convincing fashion last week against a stronger team than Mary. I don't think they'll have too much trouble this week at home.

Winona State at Sioux Falls - Ugh. This one pains me to say, but last week the Coo looked absolutely terrible for much of the game. Some of that credit must be given to a greatly improved CSP team that showed up to play and made very few mistakes. But a lot of the blame was squarely on the shoulders of USF. Watson unexpectedly being out was a factor, but that didn't cause the bad snaps and the inability of the OL to protect the QB. This early in the season it's hard to say for sure, but Winona is likely a more talented team than CSP. USF really needs to clean things up in a hurry if they don't want to be 0-2. Please, please, please, please, please, please prove my pick wrong.

Northern State at Minot State - Northern rebounds from their opening loss against a rebuilding Red Beavers team. But I wouldn't be surprised if Minot makes a bit of a game out of it.

Southwest Minnesota State at Wayne State - Kind of a tough pick as even though they both lost, both teams played better than expected last week against quality opponents. I'm picking Wayne mainly because they have home field advantage.

Minnesota-Crookston at St. Cloud State - Crookston put up 20 against Moorhead last weekend, which was more than most probably would have guessed. Despite that, I don't think they'll be able to compete with the Huskies on the road.

Augustana at Minnesota State-Mankato - With Augie completely waffle-stomping UIU last weekend, this makes Saturday's game against Mankato very intriguing. Was Augie that good, or was Upper Iowa that bad? Probably some of both. I'm going with the "safe" pick of Mankato, but it wouldn't at all surprise me to see an upset.

Minnesota-Duluth at Minnesota State-Moorhead - The Dragons should challenge the Bulldogs a little more than last week's game, but I don't think Duluth will have much trouble this weekend.

Concordia-St. Paul at Upper Iowa - I was very impressed with CSP last weekend. The linemen on both sides looked very, very good. The QB is above average. They didn't make many mistakes. I have a feeling the Peacocks may have a similar outcome this week as they did last week. Maybe not quite as lopsided, but still lopsided.

Bemidji looks very good and will subdue Mary at home. Interested to see former Mary QB. Craig Bagnell work at head coach, he sure was a good quarterback in his day.

You cannot hold a good program down and that's why I believe USF will rise from the ashes, straighten their special team woes out and beat the Warriors. If Gabe Watson is back, he will run like a bull in a china shop.

Northern I picked you last week and you let me down. Well I'm picking the Wolves again, although the these Beavers might be better then most think.

I'm taking Wayne State over SMSU at home in what could be one he_ l of a game. Both teams acquitted themselves well against bully opponents.

St. Cloud should win this easily, but there is life in this UMC program this season so far maybe 2 or 3 td's from the Golden Eagles.

Can't help being a homer on this one, so I'm picking the Vikings to beat the Mav's. My guess is Augie has an 30 to 35% chance to win. I'll take those odds. Running team vs. Passing team.

Duluth with their size and skill will easily beat the always young Dragons.

Concordia St. Paul will win this game. Witt was correct in his preview page about the Golden Bears being an improved team. Tom Shea been coaching a long time and will get the Peacocks right, just not this game.

Comment

The Winona/USF game will be a good one. The Warriors had some week-1 rust last week, but did put together a pretty decent all around effort. The Warrior defense could be really good if they can stay healthy. I really liked what I saw from the offense throughout the game last week. The offensive line needs a little time to gel and it could be a really fun offense to watch.

My gut tells me Winona wins the game, but you can never count out a great program like USF-especially at home.

Comment

3-4 toss ups this week should be a fun weekend

Obviously the Kato/Augie game is huge, but so are games like WSU/USF and SMSU/WSC - don't want to be 0-2 and other really want to be 2-0.

Comment

toughest pick is SMSU at WSC. Possible upset Minot winning at home against NSU. Longshot AU taking down the Mavs in Mankato.

Comment

What we learned last week is that some things change (Concordia dismantles Sioux Falls) and some things stay the same (Nate Gunn is damn good, Minot is rebuilding). Great start to the year, NSIC, keep it up. Note when we see the headline, Crookston Shuts Down Bulldogs, pigs will be airborne.

Comment

In his weekly column our esteemed NSIC Conference columnist gave the Northern/Minot game two sentences which didn't even cover two lines. I'm feelin' the love. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
                In his weekly column our esteemed NSIC Conference columnist gave the Northern/Minot game two sentences which didn't even cover two lines. I'm feelin' the love. :-(
                Witt's weekly column: https://www.d2football.com/nsic-week-2-preview/

Comment

In his defense...there isn't much to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

In his defense...there isn't much to talk about.
                    How so? Every other team got a decent nod, but not our two? I like the guy but fair is fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                      I read it and that's why I commented. If ya wanna keep the MB viable 'n fair, teams need equal acknowledgment.

Comment

How so? Every other team got a decent nod, but not our two? I like the guy but fair is fair.
                        As he told us he is busy. He follows the Sioux Falls schools close as they are in his back yard and Duluth and Mankato as they are normally at the top, along with Winona. Considering it's his own time and we dont pay him for anything I cant complain. Just like in the poll, (speaking for myself) why give any credit to people who haven't really earned it yet. I'd love to see more but since Aberdeen lost Ryan Deal we have had zero coverage or nothing done well since which is frustrating and I'd like to see improve as it is local. But I wont bang on Witt. Plus, there are a couple NSU fans I think he likes to poke once in awhile, which we all know is fun, haha.

Comment

Matt's commentary is insightful, he is well informed.

Comment

Equity is fair.

Talk about each team in proportion to what they bring to the table.

Comment

I read it and that's why I commented. If ya wanna keep the MB viable 'n fair, teams need equal acknowledgment.
                              Have you considered that some of us might appreciate Witt's writing more for not writing too much about certain games/teams?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X