Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF the NCAA wants to save money - a playoff scenario that works

It has been said that the NCAA may move lower seeds to different regions to save travel costs. However, there is really nothing close to Region 4 except Missouri. (Commerce vs Henderson or Oauchita the exception)

Here is a simple solution for Region 4 (if the NCAA wants to save money):

#1 Mankato Bye
    #2 Tarleton vs. #6 Commerce (it has been a month since they have played -- Oct 16th) 170 miles apart
    #3 CO Mines vs. #4 or 5 CO Pueblo (it has been 2 months since they have played -- Sept 21st) 130 miles apart
    #4 or 5 Augustana vs. #7 USF (it has been about 2 months since they have played -- Sept 26th ) 2 BLOCKS APART (Augie is a closer road game for USF than USF's home games!!!)

Very limited travel costs...........huge crowds!!! (I don't know about the other schools, but if Augie and USF travel somewhere they may have 200-300 people travel, whereas a home game at Augie would probably get 4000-5000 people in the stands)

CO Pueblo would have a beef with this...........but there is always one or more teams unhappy at playoff seedings.....so be it.

People will scream about rematches, but does it matter if it 1st round or second round. Some would argue rematches may ratchet up the intensity.

To win a championship you have to beat 4-5 teams along the way, so it really doesn't matter.

It probably doesn't work this way and probably won't work this way and the decisions are probably already made.......but this might be the best option for the fans of teams 2-6.

I don't see how you can put Pueblo at the 5 seed when Augustana has 2 losses. Yes they want to save money but they aren't just throwing everything else out of the window.

Huge crowds? You clearly don't know how D2 playoff attendance numbers work. Take the average regular session attendance and divide by half typically, especially this first round game.

Comment

My predictions for SR4...

1. Minnesota St. (11-0)
      2. Tarleton St. (9-0)
      3. Colorado Mines (11-0)
      4. Colorado St. Pueblo (10-1)
      5. Texas A&M Commerce (8-2)
      6. Augustana (9-2)
      7. Sioux Falls (8-3)

that last spot is honestly a tossup. It could easily go to Angelo St. or even Winona St.

What time is the selection show again?

Comment

Your proposal makes sense, and you are correct in that probably better attendance would result if the game for the visitor was within about three hours. It's too bad the NCAA seldom does anything that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
          My predictions for SR4...

1. Minnesota St. (11-0)
          2. Tarleton St. (9-0)
          3. Colorado Mines (11-0)
          4. Colorado St. Pueblo (10-1)
          5. Texas A&M Commerce (8-2)
          6. Augustana (9-2)
          7. Sioux Falls (8-3)

that last spot is honestly a tossup. It could easily go to Angelo St. or even Winona St.

What time is the selection show again?
          4 PM CST.

Winona is out due to losing to USF. Angelo didn't help themselves yesterday but they have a better chance than Winona. I assume that the Warriors will get the Mineral Water Bowl spot.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
            Your proposal makes sense, and you are correct in that probably better attendance would result if the game for the visitor was within about three hours. It's too bad the NCAA seldom does anything that makes sense.
            How does putting a 2 loss team (Augustana) above a 1 loss team (CSUP) make any sort of sense here? Also, it says #3 Mines vs #4 or #5 CSUP...the #4 team will be hosting so it would be tough for them to play each other and also both host I would imagine.

The top 4 teams are easy to select in SR4 this year. The only question is who #1 and #2 will be. Mines is clearly #3 and will host, Pueblo is clearly #4 and will host.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

How does putting a 2 loss team (Augustana) above a 1 loss team (CSUP) make any sort of sense here? Also, it says #3 Mines vs #4 or #5 CSUP...the #4 team will be hosting so it would be tough for them to play each other and also both host I would imagine.

The top 4 teams are easy to select in SR4 this year. The only question is who #1 and #2 will be. Mines is clearly #3 and will host, Pueblo is clearly #4 and will host.
              If you read my comment, it seems obvious I was referring to the fact it made sense to schedule games between opponents geographically nearer each other when possible. In agreement to the original post of the thread. I made no comment whatever in reference to whom I thought should be seeded in what order.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

If you read my comment, it seems obvious I was referring to the fact it made sense to schedule games between opponents geographically nearer each other when possible. In agreement to the original post of the thread. I made no comment whatever in reference to whom I thought should be seeded in what order.
                Sorry I didn't pick out the part you were referring to. His proposal includes seeding the teams in an order that makes zero sense so it was a bit confusing what you agreed with.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

4 PM CST.

Winona is out due to losing to USF. Angelo didn't help themselves yesterday but they have a better chance than Winona. I assume that the Warriors will get the Mineral Water Bowl spot.

Comment

Does the NCAA offer any aid to traveling schools? When Augustana traveled to Humboldt State in Northern California in 2015. it involved a flight to Oregon and a bus trip to Arcata. That probably cost a small fortune.

Comment

This would never happen... But I would welcome a USF-AU first round rematch.
                      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                      2016 NSIC Champions
                      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                        Does the NCAA offer any aid to traveling schools? When Augustana traveled to Humboldt State in Northern California in 2015. it involved a flight to Oregon and a bus trip to Arcata. That probably cost a small fortune.
                        NCAA pays for all playoff travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                          This would never happen... But I would welcome a USF-AU first round rematch.
                          +1

USF has a better record at Augie's stadium than their own. I also think attendance would be way up there.

But I agree, it won't happen. I'm not even banking on the Coo making the post season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

+1

USF has a better record at Augie's stadium than their own. I also think attendance would be way up there.

But I agree, it won't happen. I'm not even banking on the Coo making the post season.

but they did!

Comment

Wow. Only just a month ago I thought MSU would be the only NSIC team in the postseason but there will be three teams in the postseason! Glad I was proven wrong big time! And People say the NSIC is a weak conference...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X