X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Nice photos.

Truth be told....I had my doubt with each NSIC matchups. I really made a case for both teams to win....probably more-so with Augie....as they'd been fortunate throughout the year, being on the right side of a handful of nail-biters. That said, I thought they'd shown to be better off this season with Masoli under center, and I'd stay with that thought. The Vikings offense has shown times of being sluggish against teams like MSU and USF..the two best defenses they played..and I probably should've taken that as an indication of tough going at CSUP.

I didn't think the CSUP offense had the explosive elements you typically see in a 1-loss squad, but they had a few moments on Saturday..while still only mustering 17 points in the process. They'll need more at Mankato..but I think they know that.

All told for Augie it was an unpredictable campaign, with the D taking the lead and the offense being sporadic. I'm not sure if Saddler is the answer at QB going forward, but I'd think it's his job to lose..as Masoli graduates. A lot of other pieces in-place on both sides of the ball. Getting good QB play could immediately have them back in this position a year from now....playing in Week 12..

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
          Nice photos.

Truth be told....I had my doubt with each NSIC matchups. I really made a case for both teams to win....probably more-so with Augie....as they'd been fortunate throughout the year, being on the right side of a handful of nail-biters. That said, I thought they'd shown to be better off this season with Masoli under center, and I'd stay with that thought. The Vikings offense has shown times of being sluggish against teams like MSU and USF..the two best defenses they played..and I probably should've taken that as an indication of tough going at CSUP.

I didn't think the CSUP offense had the explosive elements you typically see in a 1-loss squad, but they had a few moments on Saturday..while still only mustering 17 points in the process. They'll need more at Mankato..but I think they know that.

All told for Augie it was an unpredictable campaign, with the D taking the lead and the offense being sporadic. I'm not sure if Saddler is the answer at QB going forward, but I'd think it's his job to lose..as Masoli graduates. A lot of other pieces in-place on both sides of the ball. Getting good QB play could immediately have them back in this position a year from now....playing in Week 12..
          Having Lamphere and Kitna both healthy really allowed the Pueblo to start to do what they spent the entire offseason working on. I think they have a lot more to show on offense. That might have been the first time since quarter 1 against Dixie that both QBs were actually healthy. As said, they'll need more against Mankato. Hopefully Micci is back and starting DB Tevin Donnell was not available this past week. Not sure on status of either for Mankato.

Augie needs to improve their OL play or the QB won't matter. Starting about the 2nd quarter Pueblo completely shut down the run and started getting some big shots on the QB. I know the Pueblo front 7 is very talented but that was the biggest area I thought Augie was lacking. Besides that, a solid team that plays very hard and has nothing to hang their heads about. Hopefully they can build off of this season.

Comment

Congrats to the Augie fans! They showed large and loud!
            Sprinkles are for winners!

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Having Lamphere and Kitna both healthy really allowed the Pueblo to start to do what they spent the entire offseason working on. I think they have a lot more to show on offense. That might have been the first time since quarter 1 against Dixie that both QBs were actually healthy. As said, they'll need more against Mankato. Hopefully Micci is back and starting DB Tevin Donnell was not available this past week. Not sure on status of either for Mankato.

Augie needs to improve their OL play or the QB won't matter. Starting about the 2nd quarter Pueblo completely shut down the run and started getting some big shots on the QB. I know the Pueblo front 7 is very talented but that was the biggest area I thought Augie was lacking. Besides that, a solid team that plays very hard and has nothing to hang their heads about. Hopefully they can build off of this season.
              Augie struggled with the ground game a few times this year....so that part wasn't a shock. What happ on that play where Augie scored on a swing pass in the red zone, then got nothing. I was trying to watch multiple games and took that play at face value..assuming it was a TD....2nd quarter....that kinda changed the game.

It became apparent as the game continued that CSUP had the Vikings figured out and when AU was forced to throw it didn't go well..with the Pack getting pressures.

I saw CSUP switching back and forth with signal-callers in the 2nd half....was that because the 2 runs better....I assume..?

Comment

Augie struggled with the ground game a few times He year....so that part wasn't a shock. What happ on that play where Augie scored on a swing pass in the red zone, then got nothing. I was trying to watch multiple games and took that play at face value..assuming it was a TD....2nd quarter....that kinda changed the game.

It became apparent as the game continued that CSUP had the Vikings figured out and when AU was forced to throw it didn't go well..with the Pack getting pressures.

I saw CSUP switching back and forth with signal-callers in the 2nd half....was that because the 2 runs better....I assume..?
                They rotated the 2 the entire game, with the 2-back set being run with Lamphere (#15) mostly. Lamphere won the starting job and was playing very well against Dixie, he's a true dual threat QB, but was then injured. He returned against Commerce, although not near 100%, when Kitna went down. The two of them have traded injuries the entire year and Augie was the first game they've both been relatively healthy. Lamphere only threw 2 passes but connected on both, he's a better runner but very capable of throwing the ball all over the field as well. Kitna is elusive as you saw, but not quite the runner that Lamphere is.

Comment

They rotated the 2 the entire game, with the 2-back set being run with Lamphere (#15) mostly. Lamphere won the starting job and was playing very well against Dixie, he's a true dual threat QB, but was then injured. He returned against Commerce, although not near 100%, when Kitna went down. The two of them have traded injuries the entire year and Augie was the first game they've both been relatively healthy. Lamphere only threw 2 passes but connected on both, he's a better runner but very capable of throwing the ball all over the field as well. Kitna is elusive as you saw, but not quite the runner that Lamphere is.
                  well his dad was never a runner so like father like son!

Comment

Going into the game I knew It would a miracle for the Vikings to win as I felt we were weak on the offensive side of the ball. Credit CSUP with having a well rounded team, with an awesome history of success. It's no surprise that the RMAC two strongest teams are located on the front range with rich recruiting so close by. I wish Augies TD would have not been penalized, but it is what it is. The only point of pride for Augie is the 17 points allowed was the 2nd lowest after Mines 14 point defensive effort. The Pack is going to give the Mavs fits with it's defense. The question is can they stop Nate Gunn and Shane Zlystra, plus the Mavs have a good D as well. Certainly they will study the Mavs game against USF, who almost cracked Mankato's armour in a 3 point game. Many make fun of the Mavericks stadium with it's little yellow press box, but there is no stadium that puts you closer to the field with it's narrow side lines and steep stands.

Comment

They did..? I must not have been watching closely....seemed like Kitna was anytime I was watching in the first half. I'm old tho.

I noticed they came out with Lamphere in the 2nd half and they were mixing them a lot then.

I assumed Lamphere only came in to run occasionally as his passing numbers are kinda low at 50% completions (when I looked a week ago) with a pick. Kitna looked like he'd seen a good amount more success passing. Maybe's Lamphere has looked better than his numbers.

Looked like you guys had some athletic wideouts..surprised you didn't have more passing yards this year.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                        Going into the game I knew It would a miracle for the Vikings to win as I felt we were weak on the offensive side of the ball. Credit CSUP with having a well rounded team, with an awesome history of success. It's no surprise that the RMAC two strongest teams are located on the front range with rich recruiting so close by. I wish Augies TD would have not been penalized, but it is what it is. The only point of pride for Augie is the 17 points allowed was the 2nd lowest after Mines 14 point defensive effort. The Pack is going to give the Mavs fits with it's defense. The question is can they stop Nate Gunn and Shane Zlystra, plus the Mavs have a good D as well. Certainly they will study the Mavs game against USF, who almost cracked Mankato's armour in a 3 point game. Many make fun of the Mavericks stadium with it's little yellow press box, but there is no stadium that puts you closer to the field with it's narrow side lines and steep stands.
                        Funny you mention making fun of the Blake....I could help but notice when I watched the stream of the last regular season game for CSUP, their color guy mentioned in pregame what a dump the stadium was. I laughed out loud and thought..careful what you wish for....as they probably assumed Tarleton was in the 1 spot at that time..and they'd travel there with a win. Uh..no.

Comment

I've become convinced that QB play isn't the biggest problem. I think it is offensive coaching. Delays of game in critical situations, failure to adapt to game situations, and very poor play calling. Most first downs were run up the middle, even in the second half even though it didn't work in the first. Trying to run to the edge even though 1st half showed we didn't have the speed to do that against this team. Line jumping offside in critical situations. The whole season, not just the game. That lack of cohesiveness and indecisiveness caused by the coaches is always going to mess with the QB's head and everyone else's. I don't know who the offensive coaches are but they either need to fix it or be replaced.

Comment

[QUOTE. Many make fun of the Mavericks stadium with it's little yellow press box, but there is no stadium that puts you closer to the field with it's narrow side lines and steep stands.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have a good football team than a nice stadium. And I would rather watch a game there than at any other stadium, as you are close to the field. Stadium ambiance doesn't win football games. They can make fun of it all they want, but at the end of the day we will see who is the better football team.

Comment

They did..? I must not have been watching closely....seemed like Kitna was anytime I was watching in the first half. I'm old tho.

I noticed they came out with Lamphere in the 2nd half and they were mixing them a lot then.

I assumed Lamphere only came in to run occasionally as his passing numbers are kinda low at 50% completions (when I looked a week ago) with a pick. Kitna looked like he'd seen a good amount more success passing. Maybe's Lamphere has looked better than his numbers.

Looked like you guys had some athletic wideouts..surprised you didn't have more passing yards this year.
                              Yeah, Lamphere was in as early as the second series of the game. Kitna has played the majority of the season and Lamphere was a bit rusty when he returned from injury.

Pueblo has a very talented group of WRs, the play calling has hindered their production in my opinion. Nick Williams was finally used to his full potential against Augie, I can't remember the last time a Pueblo receiver had 10+ catches. If the game plan allows their receivers the chance to make plays then they'll have a chance against the Mavs.

Comment

Yeah, Lamphere was in as early as the second series of the game. Kitna has played the majority of the season and Lamphere was a bit rusty when he returned from injury.

Pueblo has a very talented group of WRs, the play calling has hindered their production in my opinion. Nick Williams was finally used to his full potential against Augie, I can't remember the last time a Pueblo receiver had 10+ catches. If the game plan allows their receivers the chance to make plays then they'll have a chance against the Mavs.
                                Now I see why I didn't notice Lamphere....he was in for 2 plays during the entire first half. LOL Not sure I would say they "rotate the 2 the entire game", but I get ya. Certainly he was used more frequently in the 2nd half.

The athleticism of the wideouts is something CSUP needs to look at as a spot for a possible opening. Their size will measurable over the DB's for Kato. Last year CSUP struggled a lot trying to pass against MSU..and I think they will need to be far better throwing the ball than they've been in the past two visits.

MSU has the identical offensive identity to the past years when the teams played....down to having the exact same skill players and much of the same OL. Expect more of the same there..with Gunn been the first person you need to try and slow down....and then Zylstra over the top. He's a matchup problem but CSUP made some plays on balls thrown to him a year ago with their stud DB last year (Williams?)..as he could really go get it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X