Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peacock View Post

Was up at my cabin in Ely two weeks ago, watching Duluth news. UMD facing a $5M budget deficit, doesn't appear any sports impacted, but they are releasing up to 27 professors, consolidating schools, and I believe cutting/reducing a few liberal arts programs. Tough times. Not surprised that SCSU and Crookston are facing similar budget issues.
    UMD has women's hockey which despite it's massive success is a huge drain on their budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peacock View Post

Was up at my cabin in Ely two weeks ago, watching Duluth news. UMD facing a $5M budget deficit, doesn't appear any sports impacted, but they are releasing up to 27 professors, consolidating schools, and I believe cutting/reducing a few liberal arts programs. Tough times. Not surprised that SCSU and Crookston are facing similar budget issues.
      Many schools have huge budget issues. That's what happens when you keep employing people who teach classes no one takes like Women's studies, Greek philosphy. $80,000 for a tenured professor who maybe teachers 4 classes with a total of 40-50 students. Not good use of resources. This is instead of having programs in ag business, ag science, nursing, etc. things that are growing and in need

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
        There was a change made a week ago....a league meeting....you no longer need to carry football in the NSIC.

SCSU announcing today....230pm I'm hearing. This is moving quickly. Coaches already know.
        Crazy, but not surpised. They have had enrollment and budget issues for years

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

Seemed cruel in the moment but I also had this thought. Natural progression. Losing two football teams off the schedule is not small potatoes. Plus, Augie in a few years would make 3.
          not an issue if you still have 13 teams. can make it work easily

Comment

• This is the only move that can help UMC stay in the league. They would still be better off going D3, but this is at least a last lifeline

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Wow. So that's the end of the Travelling Training Kit?
              Not real sure that's much a concern today at St. Cloud.

For those that are newer to the site....in 2010 this nearly happened at SCSU..but it was mishandled by the administration as you needed to have football to be a member then, etc.

All indications are the same will occur at UMC in the coming days. There could be more..but these seem to be the safe bets.

....the schedule will be reworked and teams will then see an open date as a result (OOC, yes)....but until the smoke clears it's hard to know what scheduling will happen. Naturally, CSP would be the team to move to the North....but wait and see.

Comment

Not real sure that's much a concern today at St. Cloud.

For those that are newer to the site....in 2010 this nearly happened at SCSU..but it was mishandled by the administration as you needed to have football to be a member then, etc.

All indications are the same will occur at UMC in the coming days. There could be more..but these seem to be the safe bets.

....the schedule will be reworked and teams will then see an open date as a result (OOC, yes)....but until the smoke clears it's hard to know what scheduling will happen. Naturally, CSP would be the team to move to the North....but wait and see.
                Any chance they blow up the divisions, especially with Augie moving out in near future? Rotating opponents, playing 10 game in conf schedule and an open date for a non-conference game? Seems like that could be a good option and get rid of the in-balance in North/South strength of teams?

Comment

• Wow......was not expecting this news at all

Comment

There was a change made a week ago....a league meeting....you no longer need to carry football in the NSIC.

SCSU announcing today....230pm I'm hearing. This is moving quickly. Coaches already know.

Comment

• I'm hearing Crookston is going down today.

If this is the extent of the teams dumping football....expect two divisions of 7....and then when Augie leaves after the year....13 teams. I get every impression the NSIC is taking this step by step..and not getting ahead of themselves.

Comment

I'm hearing Crookston is going down today.

If this is the extent of the teams dumping football....expect two divisions of 7....and then when Augie leaves after the year....13 teams. I get every impression the NSIC is taking this step by step..and not getting ahead of themselves.
                        13 is an awful awkward number of teams. 1 to many for true silo scheduling.
                        Cool Story Bro

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

UMD has women's hockey which despite it's massive success is a huge drain on their budget.
                          massive success 10 years ago, lucky if 500 people go to the games.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Many schools have huge budget issues. That's what happens when you keep employing people who teach classes no one takes like Women's studies, Greek philosphy. $80,000 for a tenured professor who maybe teachers 4 classes with a total of 40-50 students. Not good use of resources. This is instead of having programs in ag business, ag science, nursing, etc. things that are growing and in need
                            Hey, those were my 2 favorite classe!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

13 is an awful awkward number of teams. 1 to many for true silo scheduling.
                              I honestly think when we get to 13 they'll nix the divisions and go to a 10 game conf schedule with rotation of who you play (won't play 3 teams each year) and then have one non-conference game....which many have wanted as well. That makes the most sense and would even out the imbalance of North vs. South teams.

Comment

• All this news is hitting Twitter now....confirming both schools are dropping football today.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X