Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Tom Shea safe at UIU? Career record of 42-79?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
        Matt Witwicki What would you consider to be a good hire for NSU. I have no idea when it comes to what coaches would be interested or qualified for Northern. The USD OC does seem like he would be a good choice.
        For NSU....I'd say a younger coach with energy who's a rising star. While Northern's location doesn't help get recruits, the new stadium and the interest by the AD (Josh Moon) to make football a winner in the same way hoops helps....and it makes NSU more attractive than the other openings. I could see a high level OC/DC from within the NSIC getting the job but I've felt all along Josh would like to target a OC/DC at at school like SDSU-NDSU-USD-UND etc. There may also be coaches who's left the NSIC that've moved up that might want a head coaching job and see it as attractive....as the new stadium helps catch the eye of recruits as well.

Comment

Shea took UIU to a .500 or better record for a window of time..and UIU is close to the toughest place to win in the NSIC. I think they have Shea as long as he's comfy there and then an asst takes that role after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Shea took UIU to a .500 or better record for a window of time..and UIU is close to the toughest place to win in the NSIC. I think they have Shea as long as he's comfy there and then an asst takes that role after that.
            I know this has been brought up before but do you think Upper Iowa would benefit more for moving to a different conference like the GLVC? Less travel I think and not nearly as competitive?

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

I know this has been brought up before but do you think Upper Iowa would benefit more for moving to a different conference like the GLVC? Less travel I think and not nearly as competitive?

Comment

So, one issue on Schlafke is that his wife is the assistant womens hoops coach. I personally believe the pay for the next football coach will be over 100k, so that would help supplement, but we dont currently have a womens assistant job open...

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                  So, one issue on Schlafke is that his wife is the assistant womens hoops coach. I personally believe the pay for the next football coach will be over 100k, so that would help supplement, but we dont currently have a womens assistant job open...
                  Keep in mind, Schlafke and other names mentioned are just spitballing at who might be a good fit. He might have zero interest in the job and be perfectly content at USD and have zero interest in moving back to the NSIC and D2. But yes, that's been mentioned. NSU was at like 93k for Dosch as the head coach..and I'd think for a strong applicant that number would need to go up..as that's similar to the pay of a coordinator at the FCS level. The positions are of similar height..but some won't have interest in D2 after advancing to FCS. It's really all about their interest level in running their own program and seeing the school that has an opening..a fit for them. I'd imagine beating SDSU would give the USD coaches a shot in the arm..but at the same time they'll big figuring out who their new QB for next year..and that comes with it's own set of challenges when living in the 4-5 win area for 3 of the last 4 seasons.

I think Moon likes the idea of having a coach from SDSU or NDSU....given the street cred those programs have. I don't see Eck (SDSU OC) having that interest as he would seem to be the replacement for Stig when he retires (sooner than later). SDSU does have co-DC's..both who's been in that role a year. Bergy from AU is one of them, Jimmy Rogers (former star LB for SDSU the other).

Comment

Keep in mind, Schlafke and other names mentioned are just spitballing at who might be a good fit. He might have zero interest in the job and be perfectly content at USD and have zero interest in moving back to the NSIC and D2. But yes, that's been mentioned. NSU was at like 93k for Dosch as the head coach..and I'd think for a strong applicant that number would need to go up..as that's similar to the pay of a coordinator at the FCS level. The positions are of similar height..but some won't have interest in D2 after advancing to FCS. It's really all about their interest level in running their own program and seeing the school that has an opening..a fit for them. I'd imagine beating SDSU would give the USD coaches a shot in the arm..but at the same time they'll big figuring out who their new QB for next year..and that comes with it's own set of challenges when living in the 4-5 win area for 3 of the last 4 seasons.

I think Moon likes the idea of having a coach from SDSU or NDSU....given the street cred those programs have. I don't see Eck (SDSU OC) having that interest as he would seem to be the replacement for Stig when he retires (sooner than later). SDSU does have co-DC's..both who's been in that role a year. Bergy from AU is one of them, Jimmy Rogers (former star LB for SDSU the other).
                    Schlafke was the only one I had time to do any digging on, I'll try to get to others later, haha

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a candidate from out in Wisconsin/Michigan. I believe Moon has many connections still that way.

Comment

SDSU does have co-DC's..
                      Co-DCs and/or OCs are one of the most stupid positions out there. They HAVE to butt heads. One has to go, no matter where they are. Jmo, of course. ;-)

Comment

Family ties?

https://fightinghawks.com/sports/foo...t-holinka/1883

Comment

You make a very interesting point, and a very valid one. Of the local kids in the Marshall are last 10 years who were difference makers in the area, SMSU got a handful, Mankato got some, but most went to NDSU or SDSU. Honestly we have done pretty well recruiting locally IMO but you make a good point. If the kid is really good, the are going to NDSU and SDSU. We just don't have a lot of D2 kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

I've been to and seen the facilities in Marshall, StP, SF/Augustana, Mankato, Mary, Minot and StC. Marshall isn't that bad. A dearth of decent restaurants and activities for student athletes, but hey, what do they do in places like Wayne or Fayette (no offense)? It's a small town. Some kids come from small towns and enjoy the familiarity it affords; others come from BIGGER towns and like the small town atmosphere. No matter where you decide to play it's a crap shoot. If Marshall is the place you decide on, STAY. Nothin' p***es off a coach more than a commit who leaves cuz of a few minor issues he/she can't seem to handle. It's four years of your life...and took you 18 years to get there. Grow up. It could be the most important decision you make.
                            amen

Comment

I think much of what he is saying is they don't give it a chance. I see it all the time in football and frankly in the student body population in general.

I sent my oldest off to college this fall with a simple statement. "It is what you make of it . If you sit in your room and don't get involved you will claim it is boring. If you don't make friends that is on you because there are 1500+ freshman in Moorhead. some of them must be interesting and fun."

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

I think much of what he is saying is they don't give it a chance. I see it all the time in football and frankly in the student body population in general.

I sent my oldest off to college this fall with a simple statement. "It is what you make of it . If you sit in your room and don't get involved you will claim it is boring. If you don't make friends that is on you because there are 1500+ freshman in Moorhead. some of them must be interesting and fun."
                                This is exactly the attitude I had leaving a high school class of 12 kids -- 30 years ago and heading to Marshall -- and I had a great 4 years there. It was a blast and I even graduated and eventually got a job!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X