Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    Interesting the Summit voted down Augustana before they got the decision on the D3 call up especially in our current environment . In my honest opinion (really my gut) no way in hell does the NCAA let a D3 jump D2 to join. NCAA has certain protocols and rarely devietes from them. So, Summit loses auto baseball bid. I could be wrong but odds are in my favor on this one.

Augustana imho has too small of an enrollment for D1. The school really needs to bolster their enrollment. Houston Baptist comes to mind when I think of Augie in D1. Everything is done on a shoestring budget. They used the same argument of being in a large metro area and got an invite from the Southland. Their teams and venues are bad. Their attendance at sporting events are worse. More folks go to 3A high school football game than to HBU. It is a great example on how NOT to be D1.

WAC is looking to add FCS football but that would mean major travel expenses. Sometimes getting told no is the best answer. It makes you look at yourself and make the necessary improvements so that when the next opportunity arises you are in a much better place to make the move.

Tarleton is a great example on how to proceed once the Southland rejected them. Their enrollment is up and major improvements have made to their Football facilities.
    Your argument that Augustana has small enrollment and would have a tight budget are legitimate, although non-scholarship FCS football would free up some funds. If you saw Augustana's facilities they are better than some of the Summit leagues members and are excellent for D2. Augie has a history of very good attendance and would certainly grow with D1 status. The point is mute as the Vikings have not been invited to the Summit league. The Summit has a history of being in flux as schools look for better leagues such as Denver or WIU looking to go D2, so there may be opportunities in the future. As for now Augie is fortunate to be in the NSIC a top D2 league, with exciting rivals.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Your argument that Augustana has small enrollment and would have a tight budget are legitimate, although non-scholarship FCS football would free up some funds. If you saw Augustana's facilities they are better than some of the Summit leagues members and are excellent for D2. Augie has a history of very good attendance and would certainly grow with D1 status. The point is mute as the Vikings have not been invited to the Summit league. The Summit has a history of being in flux as schools look for better leagues such as Denver or WIU looking to go D2, so there may be opportunities in the future. As for now Augie is fortunate to be in the NSIC a top D2 league, with exciting rivals.
      If going non-scholarship FCS means joining the Pioneer Football League, I'm not sure it's worth it. The money you're not spending on scholarships will then be spent on flying a football team to every league game except for Drake with almost all those flights being followed by a bus trip to a different town. Doing it as an independent might be a little better financially but you'll be playing most games with an arm tied behind your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

If going non-scholarship FCS means joining the Pioneer Football League, I'm not sure it's worth it. The money you're not spending on scholarships will then be spent on flying a football team to every league game except for Drake with almost all those flights being followed by a bus trip to a different town. Doing it as an independent might be a little better financially but you'll be playing most games with an arm tied behind your back.
        Doesn't the PFL pay for travel for its members?

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

You know more about the PFL than I do. If the league pays for travel then who puts the money in the pot? If it's the schools then those are some hefty annual dues. Does the league have corporate sponsors to at least help pay the costs. Just looked at the 2019 schedule for San Diego, they played league games in OH, NC, and twice in FL. Presbyterian joins in 2021 and they are smaller than Augie so we can watch what happens to them after transitioning to non-scholarship and the PFL.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Comment

Tech,

Augie is looking for a seat at the table with their former peers..South Dakota State, USD, NDSU, and UND. To an extent, there's a feeling they've been left behind by their old foes..as a smaller school. This decision to pursue D1 is a hoops-based decision as the Summit League and it's Tournament is a big deal in the Dakotas and gets attendance that's better than most non power 5 conferences. Augie has facilities that are better than most they get compared to in D1, as mentioned. The Vikings have also won a natty in both baseball and mens hoops in the last 5 years, which is impressive..along with making the football playoffs 2x during that window as well.

If there wasn't SDSU and NDSU....and others in the Summit getting the headlines and main exposure in the Dakotas....I think Augie would be content in D2. Being in a capable market like Sioux Falls should help them quite a bit and I fully expect them to get in within 1-2 years. To some extent this almost feels like the Summit league (who's now located in Sioux Falls) didn't want to make it look like Augie bought their way or got preferential treatment given their powerful local connections. I really think this is a temporary setback. The COVID situation and the inability for all parties to see Augie first-hand, didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                Tech,

Augie is looking for a seat at the table with their former peers..South Dakota State, USD, NDSU, and UND. To an extent, there's a feeling they've been left behind by their old foes..as a smaller school. This decision to pursue D1 is a hoops-based decision as the Summit League and it's Tournament is a big deal in the Dakotas and gets attendance that's better than most non power 5 conferences. Augie has facilities that are better than most they get compared to in D1, as mentioned. The Vikings have also won a natty in both baseball and mens hoops in the last 5 years, which is impressive..along with making the football playoffs 2x during that window as well.

If there wasn't SDSU and NDSU....and others in the Summit getting the headlines and main exposure in the Dakotas....I think Augie would be content in D2. Being in a capable market like Sioux Falls should help them quite a bit and I fully expect them to get in within 1-2 years. To some extent this almost feels like the Summit league (who's now located in Sioux Falls) didn't want to make it look like Augie bought their way or got preferential treatment given their powerful local connections. I really think this is a temporary setback. The COVID situation and the inability for all parties to see Augie first-hand, didn't help.
                Yeah, because Augie getting preferential treatment would be such a new concept. :) Sorry. I can't help the fact I think I'm funny.

Comment

Tech,

There will be another opening when the Tommies move to the Big East.

Comment

Tech,

Comment

The Vikings have also won a natty in both baseball and mens hoops in the last 5 years, which is impressive..along with making the football playoffs 2x during that window as well.
                      Softball in 2019 as well.

I'm excited for D1 baseball to come to Sioux Falls myself, although the Gophers haven't traveled to South Dakota State in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Yeah, because Augie getting preferential treatment would be such a new concept. :) Sorry. I can't help the fact I think I'm funny.
                        Did you see that 2020 football schedule?!? The gloves are off and the burn book is being blasted for everyone to see.

Comment

2020 outlook https://twitter.com/DBrownMidcoSN/st...71437258817537

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

At one point, league members were sharing the costs of trips to and from San Diego. Only San Diego. I don't know whether that is continuing.

Comparing PFL travel costs to scholarship expenses at $40k per year private colleges is ridiculous. The entire annual budget for a PFL program is $1M. Do the math on 63 equvalencies at Davidson. Good Lord...
                            Last edited by Lurkingdog; 06-07-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Does anyone think Augustana would go D-I if they were allowed to move up as an independent?

In a time of changing/waiving NCAA classification rules, it seems like Augie might want to ask for a waiver of the rule requiring a conference invitation to move up.

I see that Wright State recently dropped three sports, and is now asking for a waiver to stay in D-I. If they get a waiver for a classification rule, so should Augustana.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...9qZw2gAEinABI/

Comment

Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
                                Does anyone think Augustana would go D-I if they were allowed to move up as an independent?

In a time of changing/waiving NCAA classification rules, it seems like Augie might want to ask for a waiver of the rule requiring a conference invitation to move up.

I see that Wright State recently dropped three sports, and is now asking for a waiver to stay in D-I. If they get a waiver for a classification rule, so should Augustana.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...9qZw2gAEinABI/
                                Being a low-level Division I independent would be a logistics nightmare. A financial one too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X