Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
    How many days till Augie goes D1?
    How many days until the maroon chiefs leave little league athletics and go back to D2?

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I can't stand track stadiums. Except for Pittsburg - and *maybe* Northwest Missouri, track stadiums automatically drop out of the top 10 for me. Too far from the action.

I agree in the objection to them. However, it's about the aesthetics. The distance isn't what you think it might be.

Southwest Minnesota (no) >42' / 87'
      Grand Valley (no) 40' / 39'
      Pitt State (yes) 57' / 46'
      Northwest Missouri (yes) 57' / 47'
      Missouri Western (no) 80' / 54'
      West Georgia (no) 35' / 35'

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I agree in the objection to them. However, it's about the aesthetics. The distance isn't what you think it might be.

Check out our field at Arkansas Tech. The track was removed but the seating was not moved in. SW_Mustang would like it because it is not a track stadium but in reality it is, just with the track covered up. Remnants of the track is visible at the south end between the bandstand and the fieldhouse (visitor locker room).

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Check out our field at Arkansas Tech. The track was removed but the seating was not moved in. SW_Mustang would like it because it is not a track stadium but in reality it is, just with the track covered up. Remnants of the track is visible at the south end between the bandstand and the fieldhouse (visitor locker room).
          It's just a personal preference. I think it knocks down the overall look of a facility, but I also know it's not possible for every school to have a separate T/F complex.

As far as Ark Tech goes - I can't find a before photo. The after shot does make it seem like the stands are a bit far from the field, however I probably wouldn't have noticed it without you saying something - which needs to be stated. Nice looking field.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bemidji State had a track that looped the grandstand, so half was inside the stadium and half was out of it. Some school did - I can't remember which one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I see your point. The grand stand for Pitt is really awesome, as is Northwest. The track does detract (no pun intended) from the overall look for me as well, but that's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't avoid going to either stadium because of it.

The field at my HS was a track stadium and the field felt super far away. This is SMSU's old stadium - although I'm not sure if the track was modified at all during renovations. The field just seems like it's a mile away. That's really what I based my opinion on.

Comment

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bemidji State had a track that looped the grandstand, so half was inside the stadium and half was out of it. Some school did - I can't remember which one.
              Yes, it is Bemidji. I think it runs in front of the stands on the north side and behind the stands on the south side. I've never seen anything like that elsewhere.

Comment

It's just a personal preference. I think it knocks down the overall look of a facility, but I also know it's not possible for every school to have a separate T/F complex.

As far as Ark Tech goes - I can't find a before photo. The after shot does make it seem like the stands are a bit far from the field, however I probably wouldn't have noticed it without you saying something - which needs to be stated. Nice looking field.

Yeah, I don't believe an overhead before pic exists online. I can look through my personal pics from my playing days way back when and scan it in, the views will be from the home bleachers. Here's a partial view from the visitor side looking NW when the turf was laid. And, this is the full album of the field turfing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arkans...7630052230571/

Click image for larger version

Name:	7366582192_149487339a_z.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	535994

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Yeah, I don't believe an overhead before pic exists online. I can look through my personal pics from my playing days way back when and scan it in, the views will be from the home bleachers. Here's a partial view from the visitor side looking NW when the turf was laid. And, this is the full album of the field turfing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arkans...7630052230571/

Name:	7366582192_149487339a_z.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	535994
                  Interesting... it's kind of an optical illusion to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

How many days until the maroon chiefs leave little league athletics and go back to D2?
                    Might not be as long as you think. New President and A.D. coming in 2021. A new regime may think D2 is worth a try again.
                    IMO, M'side is doing just fine right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                      This is SMSU's old stadium - although I'm not sure if the track was modified at all during renovations. The field just seems like it's a mile away. That's really what I based my opinion on.

Wasn't a full track originally

Comment

• Before Bemidji State redid "The Chet" the home bleachers felt like they were a mile away from the action. But the visitor's side of the field, you were right on top of the action with the track going behind the bleachers. I loved sitting on the visitor's side of the field compared to the home side.

As most of you know, when they redid the field, they took the track out and centered the field between the bleachers.

Name:	Overhead%20of%20Chet.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	536217

Millsy

Comment

• Another pic of the old Chet

Name:	BSUStadium-02_bw.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	536219
                          Millsy

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Wasn't a full track originally

That's kinda what I figured.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

50' and 50'

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I see your point. The grand stand for Pitt is really awesome, as is Northwest. The track does detract (no pun intended) from the overall look for me as well, but that's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't avoid going to either stadium because of it.

The field at my HS was a track stadium and the field felt super far away. This is SMSU's old stadium - although I'm not sure if the track was modified at all during renovations. The field just seems like it's a mile away. That's really what I based my opinion on.

Tracks do add distance for sure. What I noticed with your HS stadium is that there is extra space between the track and the stands.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X