• 2020 MSU Maverick Football

Garrett Jansen, DE will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      Garrett Jansen, DE will be gone.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I foresee a continuation of the dual QB philosophy, as Kaiser has good skills, tall, and has been around the program for a while now.
            Sleezer looks to me to be the heir apparent to Gunn; I'm impressed with his quickness and toughness. Taormina of course to continue to play a major role also. Not sure who if any redshirts at this position may get substantial PT.
            O line has a lot of talent returning, as does the defense.
            Hopefully they can get at least nine wins, and return to the playoffs again.
            If a new stadium is not on the foreseeable horizon, I really hope they make getting to the DII maximum scholarship level of 36 a leading priority. We all know that collegiate football is an arms race, and if you hope to be highly competitive you need to do what the other leading programs nationally are doing; i.e., have a full complement of scholarships allowed in your division.

Comment

Comment

Quick thoughts on MSU for next year..

Massive losses with Gunn and Zylstra..and both star LB's gone.

The QB position could be interesting. Ekowa can run, but I wouldn't call him a fantastic runner like mentioned earlier here. Todd moved away from the 2 QB thing in crunch time (entire 4th quarter)..is this foreshadowing maybe going with just 1 dude and letting them get full confidence..?

OL mostly comes back..that's big.

The passing game and who becomes "the dude" is a huge concern if I'm a Mavs fan. Sleezer will be a star at RB..so I think that transition goes fairly smooth. A blueprint has been made on how to attack the Mavs D....but few teams will have the QB and wideouts to replicate what UWF did. If I'm the Mavs, I'd really focusing on getting some good sized corners who can run well..as that could change their defense quite a bit. UWF did a good job of moving the game away from the point of attack (where the Mavs are really strong). We have seen really not-great QB play in the conference the last few years..so that Mavs haven't gotten tested that way, especially on a fast track. USF did that..and it kinda hurt the Mavs, not seeing more of that.

Certainly MSU doesn't bring back all the weapons like they have each of the last two seasons....so if there's a year where an Augie or USF will get them..it might be 2020, as they re-load. There should be no shortage of guys competing for key spots on both sides of the ball..to ensure that MSU doesn't make a half step back and lose a game or two in conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  Quick thoughts on MSU for next year..

Massive losses with Gunn and Zylstra..and both star LB's gone.

The QB position could be interesting. Ekowa can run, but I wouldn't call him a fantastic runner like mentioned earlier here. Todd moved away from the 2 QB thing in crunch time (entire 4th quarter)..is this foreshadowing maybe going with just 1 dude and letting them get full confidence..?

OL mostly comes back..that's big.

The passing game and who becomes "the dude" is a huge concern if I'm a Mavs fan. Sleezer will be a star at RB..so I think that transition goes fairly smooth. A blueprint has been made on how to attack the Mavs D....but few teams will have the QB and wideouts to replicate what UWF did. If I'm the Mavs, I'd really focusing on getting some good sized corners who can run well..as that could change their defense quite a bit. UWF did a good job of moving the game away from the point of attack (where the Mavs are really strong). We have seen really not-great QB play in the conference the last few years..so that Mavs haven't gotten tested that way, especially on a fast track. USF did that..and it kinda hurt the Mavs, not seeing more of that.

Certainly MSU doesn't bring back all the weapons like they have each of the last two seasons....so if there's a year where an Augie or USF will get them..it might be 2020, as they re-load. There should be no shortage of guys competing for key spots on both sides of the ball..to ensure that MSU doesn't make a half step back and lose a game or two in conference.

Comment

Yes..they certainly should be a the favorite again. None of the other top squads that may challenge them are completely ready. USF has to replace a QB that became a star, while they will return Watson at RB and has quite the double barrel rushing attack. Winona loses a good amount on D. Augie has to figure out if Saddler is the guy..but will return a lot on D. UMD should be strong again, but needs to establish more playmakers on offense. BSU is a wildcard team..if they can get more consistent offensively.

That all said....the Mavs are still the favorite yes, but probably not in as lopsided of fashion as the last few years.

Comment

Already looking forward to 2020. The backups all got got some valuable playing time this year and played in the playoffs atmosphere, which is huge. MSU will reload. It will also be interesting to see if any coaches move on. Could change things a bit if some do.

Comment

Originally posted by Abba View Post
                        Already looking forward to 2020. The backups all got got some valuable playing time this year and played in the playoffs atmosphere, which is huge. MSU will reload. It will also be interesting to see if any coaches move on. Could change things a bit if some do.
                        Agree. Hope they can reload and continue the success. Good point about the coaches; it is very possible one or more may get a good offer at another institution.

Comment

Comment

130 games of Mavericks Football played in the last decade with a record of 111-19 Winning 85%. 8 NSIC/South Division Championships, 7 NCAA Postseason Appearances, A Bowl Game, Regional Finalist, 4 Regional Championships & 2 National Finalists

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              130 games of Mavericks Football played in the last decade with a record of 111-19 Winning 85%. 8 NSIC/South Division Championships, 7 NCAA Postseason Appearances, A Bowl Game, Regional Finalist, 4 Regional Championships & 2 National Finalists

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X