• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU starts a fan advisory board.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...87940817a.html

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
      A good idea to get input from the perspectives of a number of individuals.

Comment

Comment

• Thanks for the input! You are right about #1- I see a lot more people at those games compared to basketball on the same weekend, when Otto Arena would be packed when I was an undergrad and in grad school.

I was at a D1 meeting back in Sept. The speaker was from the company that told Tarleton to move up. I've noticed their name again lately on the moves by FAMU & Bethoune Cookman to the SWAC from the MEAC. There were a whole list of things pro/con talked about at that meeting

As far as being too good- well, a much better problem than being too bad!

I doubt if anyone disagrees with Blakeslee being replaced. I would hope that a major donor would step in and have a new one renamed. I could possibly have a rest room named for me...........

Comment

Thanks for the input! You are right about #1- I see a lot more people at those games compared to basketball on the same weekend, when Otto Arena would be packed when I was an undergrad and in grad school.

I was at a D1 meeting back in Sept. The speaker was from the company that told Tarleton to move up. I've noticed their name again lately on the moves by FAMU & Bethoune Cookman to the SWAC from the MEAC. There were a whole list of things pro/con talked about at that meeting

As far as being too good- well, a much better problem than being too bad!

I doubt if anyone disagrees with Blakeslee being replaced. I would hope that a major donor would step in and have a new one renamed. I could possibly have a rest room named for me...........
            Bring too good is a good problem! But I guess students would rather see competitive games than blowouts.

Comment

• #3 is interesting to me.

While I can appreciate both a blowout and a close game, I get where they are coming from. The NSIC is a very top-heavy conference that is heavily concentrated in the south, with maybe BSU and UMD being the exceptions. Watching MSU kick the Marauders around just isn't the same thing as watching them torment the Bulldogs. Blowouts are more fun when the teams are supposed to be evenly matched, and one drastically pulls ahead. That just isn't the case with MSU vs. the bottom half of the NSIC. I mean no disrespect to Mary, but watching MSU kick around the Marauders is about as fun as watching them kick around Skyline High School.

#2 has been kicked around so much already... but here is my take...

When the average fan/student thinks of D1 basketball, they think of the Gophers, or Duke/UNC/Villanova/UCONN. They aren't thinking about Cal-Fullerton, Manhattan College, or SUNY Binghampton. The best MSU fans can hope for is SDSU/NDSU/UNI. I don't think there is going to be a massive draw for Purdue-Fort Wayne past the honeymoon period. Saying "I'd go if they were D1" is just easier to say than "I don't care." Football would be worse once people realize that Drake and USD are probably the best you're going to get, ever. Nobody cares about T/F and Golf regardless of division, and volleyball would probably bottom out in attendance.

The only real increase for attendance I could see is baseball. The Gophers used to travel to SDSU every other year. I went a couple times - they'd get 100 people in the stands as opposed to 25.

This is far easier said than done, but the solution is to become a Pitt State/GVSU/NSU style program. They have big atmosphere for being small schools. A football stadium would help, but so would working on rivalries and community involvement. Be a BIG D2 program instead of an insignificant D1 program, IMO. Again - easier said than done, but it is possible. Marshall is far smaller than Mankato, SMSU is far smaller than MSU, yet we draw very well for basketball - and I rarely hear anyone complain about not being D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

#3 is interesting to me.

While I can appreciate both a blowout and a close game, I get where they are coming from. The NSIC is a very top-heavy conference that is heavily concentrated in the south, with maybe BSU and UMD being the exceptions. Watching MSU kick the Marauders around just isn't the same thing as watching them torment the Bulldogs. Blowouts are more fun when the teams are supposed to be evenly matched, and one drastically pulls ahead. That just isn't the case with MSU vs. the bottom half of the NSIC. I mean no disrespect to Mary, but watching MSU kick around the Marauders is about as fun as watching them kick around Skyline High School.

When the average fan/student thinks of D1 basketball, they think of the Gophers, or Duke/UNC/Villanova/UCONN. They aren't thinking about Cal-Fullerton, Manhattan College, or SUNY Binghampton. The best MSU fans can hope for is SDSU/NDSU/UNI. I don't think there is going to be a massive draw for Purdue-Fort Wayne past the honeymoon period. Saying "I'd go if they were D1" is just easier to say than "I don't care." Football would be worse once people realize that Drake and USD are probably the best you're going to get, ever. Nobody cares about T/F and Golf regardless of division, and volleyball would probably bottom out in attendance.

The only real increase for attendance I could see is baseball. The Gophers used to travel to SDSU every other year. I went a couple times - they'd get 100 people in the stands as opposed to 25.

This is far easier said than done, but the solution is to become a Pitt State/GVSU/NSU style program. They have big atmosphere for being small schools. A football stadium would help, but so would working on rivalries and community involvement. Be a BIG D2 program instead of an insignificant D1 program, IMO. Again - easier said than done, but it is possible. Marshall is far smaller than Mankato, SMSU is far smaller than MSU, yet we draw very well for basketball - and I rarely hear anyone complain about not being D1.
                No doubt, perception is a main element involved with this. While many would like to see all athletics ascended to Division-I status, the financial aspects seem to be at present impossible or unsustainable. Often it is better to be a larger fish in a smaller pond than a smaller one in a larger pond; so to speak. It is possible that with the current problems in the USA there may be a revamping of the various collegiate divisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

No doubt, perception is a main element involved with this. While many would like to see all athletics ascended to Division-I status, the financial aspects seem to be at present impossible or unsustainable. Often it is better to be a larger fish in a smaller pond than a smaller one in a larger pond; so to speak. It is possible that with the current problems in the USA there may be a revamping of the various collegiate divisions.
                  My opinion has always been that if people aren't supporting them now, they won't support them after the move - generally speaking. There will be a honeymoon period of 2-3 years where it is fresh and exciting, but after that - people won't come. Banking an entire move on a potential NCAA tournament run seems like bad business. MSU doesn't need to be D1 to produce NFL talent either, they've already proven they can do that. To me it just boils down to an ill-informed perception. Like you said, though, I could see a realignment happening.

Comment

#3 is interesting to me.

Comment

• Agree. Back in 2006/07, when MSU was trying to decide how to proceed with the implosion of the NCC, moving to Division I without football was one of the options being considered by the committee. To me personally, that is too great a price to pay. Fortunately, since that time the football program has had very good overall success. Obviously, something needs to be done with the stadium soon; regardless of future divisional status.

Comment

• Personally, if I lived closer I'd probably go regardless of who they are playing or what the outcome would be - but I get bored watching blowouts against teams that can barely stand on the field, let alone score a touchdown.

If the Mavs join the MVFC, I would agree with you. But is Drake, Dayton, and Butler really that big of a draw? I think once the fans realize the FCS box doesn't come packed with NDSU, UND, SDSU, etc - their interest will wain pretty quickly. Sure, ticket prices can be increased and a few folks may hang around for the fact that it's "D1," but selling out a stadium in year 5 against San Diego probably isn't going to happen. Also, you lose the visiting fans. No more big homecoming games with Duluth, no more games against close proximity teams like SMSU or Winona, or games against big fanbases like Northern. That's why I think MSU should focus more on providing a small D1 atmosphere (like GVSU does) and push their product that way.

Anyway, yeah I've heard a D1 trip would come at the expense of football - which is pretty ridiculous thing to consider. I'd stop supporting MSU as a secondary team if they gave up football, even if it means I'd miss out on watching the basketball team get kicked around by *checks notes* whatever a "Wagner College" is...

Comment

• Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

Agree. Back in 2006/07, when MSU was trying to decide how to proceed with the implosion of the NCC, moving to Division I without football was one of the options being considered by the committee. To me personally, that is too great a price to pay. Fortunately, since that time the football program has had very good overall success. Obviously, something needs to be done with the stadium soon; regardless of future divisional status.
                          Slap a coat of paint on the press box, that should hold things down for a few more years until it's time to add a new railing in the bathroom.

Comment

Slap a coat of paint on the press box, that should hold things down for a few more years until it's time to add a new railing in the bathroom.
                            One of the greatest quotes regarding that press box was uttered by a friend of mine over a decade ago after a night home win. "That thing should be napalmed." I assumed that he meant with no one in it, he has proven himself to be a humanitarian in the past. Good thing that I wasn't drinking chocolate milk at the time or it would have come out of my nose.

Comment

One of the greatest quotes regarding that press box was uttered by a friend of mine over a decade ago after a night home win. "That thing should be napalmed." I assumed that he meant with no one in it, he has proven himself to be a humanitarian in the past. Good thing that I wasn't drinking chocolate milk at the time or it would have come out of my nose.
                              Getting rid of the press box altogether makes a lot of sense. Fewer doors to open = less work, and it's just as terrible inside the thing as it is outside.

I remember coming over for the SMSU game a couple years ago, and I sat up high near the box-thing on the other side. The Mustangs tried cramming a couple burly coaches into the exposed outhouse up there, and they ended up just standing in the bleachers for a majority of the game.

Comment

• I recall that around 4-5 years ago they had some tentative plans drawn up for a new stadium; which would also be used by the women's soccer team. However, have heard nothing since regarding that. There can't be many schools in D2 that have had consistently good football teams with a stadium as much in need of replacement (or at least a major overhaul) as MSU's.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X