Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresno State Coo

Kalen hired Chuck Morell to join him and Ryan Grubb in Cali. Not sure who's next; maybe Witt as SID?

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
    Kalen hired Chuck Morell to join him and Ryan Grubb in Cali. Not sure who's next; maybe Witt as SID?
    The world's best fraternity.

Comment

Great staff that has had a lot of success together.

Football aside, Chuck Morrell never seemed like a guy who would be happy in California.

Comment

That would be epic!

Comment

Eric Schmdit, UND defensive coordinator, will be a coach. Fresno State hasn't announced Schmidt's role yet. Eric was the head coach i wanted Northern to hire.

Comment

Current Boise State Rb coach, and former Sioux Falls assistant, Lee Marks heads for Fresno State. That makes at least 4 former Coo coaches in the M. West.

Comment

Originally posted by Swisher View Post
              Eric Schmdit, UND defensive coordinator, will be a coach. Fresno State hasn't announced Schmidt's role yet. Eric was the head coach i wanted Northern to hire.
              He was a great player.

Comment

Kalen hired Chuck Morrell to join him and Ryan Grubb in Cali. Not sure who's next; maybe Witt as SID?
                Mister Fouts....long time no talk. Congrats on your MSide chip....back to back now. The Stangs have now achieved national title success that we expected shortly after USF left the GPAC following the 2010 campaign. Nice run they are on.

As for Fresno State....I think most were assuming if/when Kalen got his head coaching gig, Chuck might very well follow..as that seemed to always be a verbal agreement. I assume former USF OL Coach/OC Ryan Grubb will continue to be the OC at Fresno..tbd. Fresno is now like USF-West. Just think, that almost happened a few years back when Bubba got the job at UND..beating out Kalen.

It'll certainly make for an interesting squad for USF folks to follow.

Comment

Do all these former USF players and coaches from the Bob Young coaching tree?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    Do all these former USF players and coaches from the Bob Young coaching tree?
                    Like all professions, just maybe a little more public, coaching is all about who ya know, and who ya worked with. Since a lot of these guys were my own coaches at USF, I'll try to explain the connections VF.....

Deboer and Morrell are the only former Coo players and direct connection to Bob Young. They were teammates on the 1996 championship team under Coach Young. Morrell the leading tackler, and DeBoer the standout WR. Both would then graduate and begin coaching under Young at USF until his retirement in 2004. That's when DeBoer took over and began his own little tree of sorts shown below. So they have quite a long history.

Ryan Grubb came to USF in 2007 (and IIRC he was teammates with current Coo HC Jon Anderson and strength coach Zach Mathers at Buena Vista University) and left after 2013 to join DeBoer in the Eastern Michigan turnaround and ultimately to Fresno.

Lee Marks was a former Boise State running back but his Coo connection was serving as a strength and conditioning/RBs GA at USF in 2010 and 2011.

Eric Schmdit is the only one who wasn't a USF coach at one time.... but worked with DeBoer at Southern Illinois under Dale Lennon for a few years.

I know a lot of other schools may have connections like this amongst their own former coaches and players but I'll echo what Witt says in that the USF connections make Fresno a team to watch for a lot of old Coo guys like myself. I know many of my former teammates on social media would recognize old plays and concepts watching Fresno or Indiana. UND couldn't stop the TE delay in 2009 and appears many B1G teams couldn't either this season. Seeing a lot of your former coaches climb to the highest rungs of the coaching ladder is fun to follow and satisfying in the sense that little ol NAIA USF was churning out guys with serious coaching chops.

Good luck to the Bulldogs.

4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                    2016 NSIC Champions
                    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X