Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swisher View Post
    Who you have as the starting qb job? Trautman or Bonds and do they split reps?

Comment

• https://nsuwolves.com/news/2021/9/1/...y-evening.aspx

Comment

• There are a couple of interesting things in the 2-deep. Bonds is listed with the starters as I think a lot of people expected, but the big bold OR does indicate Trautman will probably see snaps as well. Vance Barnes is listed as the starting RB with the Wyoming transfer Brenton listed #2. That is interesting as I thought Barnes would be a WR. I would assume Cherrier will see some snaps as well. I'm surprised to see Van Landingham listed as backup at TE and FB. I remember Schmidt saying he would be the fastest player on the roster when his transfer was announced. I don't think the TEs listed are there for their blocking ability. I believe they will be targeted often in the passing game.

There are 19 of 45 players listed as SR or GR, but that doesn't necessarily mean this is their last season of eligibility. That is going to be confusing for the next few years. There are 9 Freshman (including redshirts) on the 2-deep. One that I'm particularly intrigued by is true freshman WR Bryson Clague. He is also on the Wolves basketball team. The rumor is he had D1 interest for both football and basketball, but chose NSU because he was allowed to pursue both.

Comment

• I curious what the expectations of other NSU fans are for the Wolves season. I think 6-5 is probably the benchmark for this season. I would disappointed if NSU loses to SMSU, Upper Iowa, Mary, or Minot. The road games at Concordia and Moorhead will be good measuring sticks for this team. Wins in those 2 games would be a really good sign. Home vs. Bemidji and at Winona could be possible upsets if the Wolves play really well. I'm hoping NSU will be competitive with USF and Duluth but don't think there is any real chance of winning those games. And as I've said if the Wolves can stay within 20 at Mankato tomorrow it will be a successful season opener.

Comment

• The o-line is not what I was expecting. I figured Steinhauer and Howard would be starters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
              There are a couple of interesting things in the 2-deep. Bonds is listed with the starters as I think a lot of people expected, but the big bold OR does indicate Trautman will probably see snaps as well. Vance Barnes is listed as the starting RB with the Wyoming transfer Brenton listed #2. That is interesting as I thought Barnes would be a WR. I would assume Cherrier will see some snaps as well. I'm surprised to see Van Landingham listed as backup at TE and FB. I remember Schmidt saying he would be the fastest player on the roster when his transfer was announced. I don't think the TEs listed are there for their blocking ability. I believe they will be targeted often in the passing game.

There are 19 of 45 players listed as SR or GR, but that doesn't necessarily mean this is their last season of eligibility. That is going to be confusing for the next few years. There are 9 Freshman (including redshirts) on the 2-deep. One that I'm particularly intrigued by is true freshman WR Bryson Clague. He is also on the Wolves basketball team. The rumor is he had D1 interest for both football and basketball, but chose NSU because he was allowed to pursue both.

Comment

I curious what the expectations of other NSU fans are for the Wolves season. I think 6-5 is probably the benchmark for this season. I would disappointed if NSU loses to SMSU, Upper Iowa, Mary, or Minot. The road games at Concordia and Moorhead will be good measuring sticks for this team. Wins in those 2 games would be a really good sign. Home vs. Bemidji and at Winona could be possible upsets if the Wolves play really well. I'm hoping NSU will be competitive with USF and Duluth but don't think there is any real chance of winning those games. And as I've said if the Wolves can stay within 20 at Mankato tomorrow it will be a successful season opener.
                I think Northern has the best WR/TE corps in the conference. Definitely the most combined yards in NCAA games. If the QB has time to get them the ball they can put up points. I also like what Northern has on defense. I'm expecting NSU to win all the games their supposed to and beat CSP and Moorhead. I'll also take an upset. 7-4 season and big things coming out of Aberdeen in the future.

Comment

• It will be very interesting to see how Schmidt handles the QB situation this season. I think any players left over from the Dosch era are firmly in the Trautman camp. However, you don't bring a grad transfer in from a bigger school without the intent of him playing. As NSICFBallFan mentioned the receiving corp should be quite good. If the line can protect whoever the QB is, he should have some good targets to get the ball to.

Comment

It will be very interesting to see how Schmidt handles the QB situation this season. I think any players left over from the Dosch era are firmly in the Trautman camp. However, you don't bring a grad transfer in from a bigger school without the intent of him playing. As NSICFBallFan mentioned the receiving corp should be quite good. If the line can protect whoever the QB is, he should have some good targets to get the ball to.

Comment

• Has there ever been a time in the history of NSU football where you looked at the schedule and thought "There isn't a game on this schedule that is impossible to win"? I honestly feel that way now about the Wolves. Coming into the season, I had pretty much chalked up 5 guaranteed losses, with the Wolves maybe having a chance at a couple of upsets among those 5. There are still games on the schedule that would be considered upsets if NSU were to win, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. The NSIC may not have the dominant teams this season that it typically has had, but this is certainly a good start to the Schmidt era in Aberdeen.

Comment

• Wolves haven't beat the Warriors since 1999, which happened in Winona. Another culture changing opportunity is knocking at the door. Need to reignite the fire after last weekend.

Comment

• This week provides another big opportunity for the Wolves. Last week was a stinker, but was somewhat possible to see coming. NSU was coming off maybe the biggest win in program history, playing a potent passing game, on Gypsy Days which seems to provide enough distractions some years. This team is going to struggle against teams that can really air it out. Mary may have the best passing game in the NSIC. Bemidji and Moorhead will also cause problems for this secondary. The good thing is, I don't know that Winona can take advantage of this weakness as much as Mary did. Mankato, SMSU, Upper Iowa, and USF do not have potent passing attacks and were not really able to expose the Wolves. Mary did. I think Winona has a capable offense so I expect the game to be high scoring again. This will be one of the better defenses the Wolves face, but we have shown the ability to move the ball on anyone.

Comment

• OT question- I was watching the Mav soccer game at Northern on Sunday. Where is the NSU soccer field located? It looked like beyond the south side was residential.

The video came in well- the camera was up high.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                              OT question- I was watching the Mav soccer game at Northern on Sunday. Where is the NSU soccer field located? It looked like beyond the south side was residential.

The video came in well- the camera was up high.
                              The new soccer field and practice football field are just east of the Barnett Center. Those along with the School for the Blind were built on the old Jerde Hall (RIP) and old soccer field site. They also ate up a couple tennis courts. It's a pretty good place to watch a soccer game.
                              Last edited by Thunder; 10-08-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Alright, let's not be over confident or caught napping. This is one that, on paper, should be incredibly lopsided. Focus on the execution and discipline and the rest will take care of itself.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X