Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not-So-OT: Hockey Day Minnesota 2021

HDM 2021 will take place at the Blake in Mankato.

Once some sort of press release happens, I'll post it.

Glad to see it branch out from the north and Metro area. Would like to attend one sometime maybe 2021 will be the year.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
      Glad to see it branch out from the north and Metro area. Would like to attend one sometime maybe 2021 will be the year.
      I would highly recommend it. I went when it was at the St. Paul Airport and it was a real blast. Mankato is the perfect choice.

Comment

I wanted to go this year but glad I didn't with the weather. Will do everything in my power to go next year. Hopefully it goes well so that southern MN has more chances, hopefully in Rochester.

Comment

Comment

One can hope that it would. So many upgrades are needed, and probably not worthwhile placing band-aids on such an old structure.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
              getting funds to replace the Blake? Time will tell.
              I intend to save a rich oil sheikh's daughter by untying her from the railroad tracks before the train runs over her. Instead of a reward, I'll ask him to build a new stadium with his own construction company and naming it in his honor!

Comment

I take it this is a big deal. Someone explain it to me

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                  As a basketball player/coach/fan I'm probably not qualified to answer, but it is an attempt across the state to put the focus on hockey at all levels, youth, high school and college, men's, women's, girls and boys. Outdoor games that go back to the roots of the sport. Televising some college women's games, and some college men's game on TV stations that don't usually broadcast them. The media loves to cover it.

Comment

MSU article explaining it better than I did.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2020/1...PAFxcXk6FyG72c

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

As a basketball player/coach/fan I'm probably not qualified to answer, but it is an attempt across the state to put the focus on hockey at all levels, youth, high school and college, men's, women's, girls and boys. Outdoor games that go back to the roots of the sport. Televising some college women's games, and some college men's game on TV stations that don't usually broadcast them. The media loves to cover it.
                      its a big deal for the kids who get to play it in. Almost every former player still talks about being able to play outside and have the eyes of the state on the game. This one is a little bigger to me since they are going south of the metro and its a chance to show that this part of the state has good hockey too. Below is the link from 2019 from Bemidji, I would think the set up would be similar with the college and HS teams in it. Typically the official schedule doesn't get released until summer time.
                      https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news...le/show/933371

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

its a big deal for the kids who get to play it in. Almost every former player still talks about being able to play outside and have the eyes of the state on the game. This one is a little bigger to me since they are going south of the metro and its a chance to show that this part of the state has good hockey too. Below is the link from 2019 from Bemidji, I would think the set up would be similar with the college and HS teams in it. Typically the official schedule doesn't get released until summer time.
                        https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news...le/show/933371
                        I would imagine the Class A game would be East vs. West.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                          It's the MSHSL version of the NHL Winter Classic. It's arguably the biggest day in Minnesota hockey outside of the state tournament.

A committee selects a city and a location within that city. They've done outdoor rinks, lakes, airports... this last one was at Augsburg's baseball field. They set up a rink and bleachers, the games are televised - it's really a show. Then FSN showcases a college game, and then a Wild game.

The point is to pay homage to the history of the sport in Minnesota and to celebrate it. To be selected as a host city is a huge honor. It's the town's chance to showcase themselves and their hockey community.

That all being said - the committee typically picks towns in Northern Minnesota as well as the Twin Cities area. They've never come to southern Minnesota. S-MN is basketball country. It's not hockey territory. Few teams make it to the state tournament and they usually exit in the first round. I believe Rochester is the only city to claim a title. MSU is the only D1 program south of the Twin Cities. They don't have the tradition and rich history found elsewhere.

That's why hosting it in Mankato is a big deal for the hockey community there. It's sort of validation that they can hang with the big boys - like Hermantown, Duluth, and Eveleth.

I hope that makes sense.

I've been toying with the idea to send a couple emails and see if we can a proposal together to get it hosted at the REC. We have the infrastructure to do it and the SWMN hockey community has been growing at a rapid pace. It's a long shot, but it would be cool.

Comment

This is going to sound funny, but I think the Blake might be the best venue they've picked for this event. I do question some of the logistics given how dense Stadium Road gets without massive hockey crowds.

Typically they host it in areas with no infrastructure for spectators - or the sport itself for that matter. Sometimes that's part of the fun, but I think this will be something truly special. If they can find a way to book the Mavs, it may very well rival Bemidji for the biggest one hosted thus far.

Comment

Maybe someday they'll have it in the forgotten corner of the state

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X