Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I wonder where various publications get there all star information, especially for non FCS schools.

Comment

You stated from the beginning of last season, that there is John Larson as the best NSIC QB, then the rest, granted he was injured for 3 1/2 games, but he deserves to be mentioned. UMD lead the NSIC and D2 NCAA in total defense ( for the 2nd year in a row), by game average. MSU played 15, Augie and USF 12, and UMD 11, but stats are stats and being the top D in D2 reaps some benefits, I am surprised LB Nate Pearson was not mentioned, he made 2nd team last year, and had a better season this year with 9 sacks ranked 4th in the NSIC and 24th in NCAA D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

You stated from the beginning of last season, that there is John Larson as the best NSIC QB, then the rest, granted he was injured for 3 1/2 games, but he deserves to be mentioned. UMD lead the NSIC and D2 NCAA in total defense ( for the 2nd year in a row), by game average. MSU played 15, Augie and USF 12, and UMD 11, but stats are stats and being the top D in D2 reaps some benefits, I am surprised LB Nate Pearson was not mentioned, he made 2nd team last year, and had a better season this year with 9 sacks ranked 4th in the NSIC and 24th in NCAA D2.
        Yes, I said Larson was the top NSIC at the START of the season....but after losing a key portion of the season to injury..I cannot say he was better than Walters at USF. I don't know many who would. Missing the time Larson did..I would have a hard time landing him on the all region team. Just my 2 cents. As you know, when he's healthy..I think he's a big difference-maker for the Bulldogs..as important to any teams success as one player can be in the NSIC..as we've seen.

The USF and MSU D were flat out better than UMD this season..especially considering Duluth plays a North schedule. Then include playoff opponents for MSU-AU-USF....and the schedules those teams played with the South included are just much different. That said..UMD had 3 guys make the all region D....USF with none.

To me, it looks like the Hanson team basically is a player grab from the All Conference teams..putting equal weight to the North and the South. IF there was a true NSIC team, this wouldn't be the case..certainly.

I still contend Logan Swanson not making any of the 3 teams listed was the biggest laugher of this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

The USF and MSU D were flat out better than UMD this season..especially considering Duluth plays a North schedule. Then include playoff opponents for MSU-AU-USF....and the schedules those teams played with the South included are just much different. That said..UMD had 3 guys make the all region D....USF with none.

To me, it looks like the Hanson team basically is a player grab from the All Conference teams..putting equal weight to the North and the South. IF there was a true NSIC team, this wouldn't be the case..certainly.

I still contend Logan Swanson not making any of the 3 teams listed was the biggest laugher of this deal.

+1 on Logan. But I don't understand why people don't mention Augie in the best defenses convo's. Augie finished 2nd to MSU in points allowed, which is what defense is about. Maybe it's because SF's stats looked better most of the season because they didn't play MSU until late so people are remembering the hype rather than actual results.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

+1 on Logan. But I don't understand why people don't mention Augie in the best defenses convo's. Augie finished 2nd to MSU in points allowed, which is what defense is about. Maybe it's because SF's stats looked better most of the season because they didn't play MSU until late so people are remembering the hype rather than actual results.
            Well...lets keep in mind USF held Augie to 139 yards of total offense in their hth matchup....and Augie slowed down Kato for 1 half and then things got a bit sideways in the 2nd half.

That all said....I'd have AU right there in the conversation..but MSU and USF were better when it came to regular season stats. However, Augie already had names on this All-Region team....like star DB Eli Weber....who nearly made our D2 AA team (which is a pretty elite top 100 players nationally). My contention was really more directed at a top D like USF and a squad like UMD who I didn't feel had a typical Bulldog season....and how the Hanson arrived at their selections.

Comment

Well...lets keep in mind USF held Augie to 139 yards of total offense in their hth matchup....and Augie slowed down Kato for 1 half and then things got a bit sideways in the 2nd half.

That all said....I'd have AU right there in the conversation..but MSU and USF were better when it came to regular season stats. However, Augie already had names on this All-Region team....like star DB Eli Weber....who nearly made our D2 AA team (which is a pretty elite top 100 players nationally). My contention was really more directed at a top D like USF and a squad like UMD who I didn't feel had a typical Bulldog season....and how the Hanson arrived at their selections.
              I get (and agree with) your core point on the USF D snub. I realize I'm side tracking but was very impressed by our D this year. Augie O was a big disappointment to be sure, and comparing USF D to Augie O lacks relevance to comparing the defenses. Kato had about the same number of yards against each - nearly 500, which skewed the view in favor of USF defense for most of the season until they played Kato and the stats evened out.

USF D was better in some regular season stats and Augie was better in other regular season stats including the top stat of the number of points they allowed opponents to put on the board.

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              Minnesota State..... 11 17 15 1 0 6 0 ......................137 12.5
              Augustana.............. 11 17 13 1 0 15 0 ....................162 14.7
              Minnesota Duluth... 11 25 22 0 0 3 0 ......................181 16.5
              Sioux Falls..............11 23 21 0 0 8 0 .......................183 16.6
              Last edited by BIGvikingFan; 01-27-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

BIG....we both know USF and Kato were both measurably better at yards per game. (240 vs 280) IF we are gonna be real honest about this..and transparent....the USF offense/special teams put the Coo D in some terrible spots in the front half of the year..in games like CSP and Augie, specifically....giving the opponent the ball inside the 10 yard line and such..and certainly the AU game was proof of that. USF's defensive ppg is a bit misleading.

That all said..Kato had the top D....but USF and AU were right on their heels and both very good units. I'd expect much of the same next year as they both return a good amount of talent on D. (and O for that matter)

Here is the Hanson AA Team....which is of course one step further than the All-Region team outlined above.

https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...vJjEEGQxXd3Epw

Comment

In seeing Augie and Mankato in back to back weeks, the Mankato defense was far superior in my opinion.

Comment

BIG....we both know USF and Kato were both measurably better at yards per game. (240 vs 280) IF we are gonna be real honest about this..and transparent....the USF offense/special teams put the Coo D in some terrible spots in the front half of the year..in games like CSP and Augie, specifically....giving the opponent the ball inside the 10 yard line and such..and certainly the AU game was proof of that. USF's defensive ppg is a bit misleading.

That all said..Kato had the top D....but USF and AU were right on their heels and both very good units. I'd expect much of the same next year as they both return a good amount of talent on D. (and O for that matter)

Here is the Hanson AA Team....which is of course one step further than the All-Region team outlined above.

https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...vJjEEGQxXd3Epw
                    Thanks for the link. YPG - true, our long field pass coverage needs a lot of work. But Augie red zone D was better and Augie tops the conference on stops on 3rd and 4th downs. If we're going to rationalize PPG stats, you know it works the other way too. With a poor offense, I can't count the number of quarters I watched the Offense go 3 and out or worse and the D was constantly back on the field. Augie D versus Kato was on the field 6.5 more minutes than USF D was versus Kato, yet yielded 15 fewer points and about the same yards.

We could micro-analyze the stats all year, but my point is there are solid arguments Augie D was better than USF D which make me conclude, of course, Augie D was better. Both were trumped by Kato's D.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

Thanks for the link. YPG - true, our long field pass coverage needs a lot of work. But Augie red zone D was better and Augie tops the conference on stops on 3rd and 4th downs. If we're going to rationalize PPG stats, you know it works the other way too. With a poor offense, I can't count the number of quarters I watched the Offense go 3 and out or worse and the D was constantly back on the field. Augie D versus Kato was on the field 6.5 more minutes than USF D was versus Kato, yet yielded 15 fewer points and about the same yards.

We could micro-analyze the stats all year, but my point is there are solid arguments Augie D was better than USF D which make me conclude, of course, Augie D was better. Both were trumped by Kato's D.
                      You are correct the bottom line in defense, is how many points did a team allow and AU was 2nd in the league behind MSU in that stat.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X