Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Ever see the John Goodman Thanksgiving skit in Family Guy? That's what I pictured...
    very funny

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

very funny
      "There won't be any left, there's never any left"

Comment

Plus they like to clean so the landlord might give them a better price.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
          Just by my own research into the players named to all state teams and to All star games and other all area honors, I would rank the top 5 recruiting classes: Winona State, Mankato, Duluth, Auggie and BSU. Just MHO
          Great board idea. I agree with your top five but wanted to offer input.

Top 2 in a tier by themselves:
          1) Winona - This class is loaded with talent and size. A lot of speed at multiple positions. Looks like a mid-level FCS class. Anxious to see if some leaders emerge from this class and take Winona to the next level.
          2) Mankato - Same as always. On offense they signed some of the top FCS/D2 linemen in the Midwest. They'll create holes for a few huge RBs. Defensively they loaded up on talent and size up front. This class is massive at every position. Should be able to man handle anything in the NSIC.

3-6 in no particular order for me:
          3) Duluth - Seem to always make the most out of what they have to work with financially. They get the most out of local players and it's resulted in tremendous success. Nothing new with this class. 22 of the 24 signees hail from MN and WI. The three 6'5+ WR's stick out.
          4)Auggie - Quite a few transfers. Looks like future conference, playoff and scholarship uncertainties affected recruiting. This class looks like they plan to continue playing D2 fball. They'll need to step it up if they want to compete at the FCS level.
          5) Bemidji - Similar to Duluth. They focus on developing local talent. It's paid off recently but they need to take the next step. They grabbed a few linemen on both sides of the ball that will give them the opportunity to compete with the big boys. The NDSU DE transfer could turn out to be a huge grab if he lives up to his potential. Should be an All-Conference caliber player immediately.
          6) USF - They're really excited about their QB get. If he lives up to the hype then USF deserves to be in this group. Otherwise, the class does not appear to be as strong as the others in this group.

Most interesting class:
          SMSU - They have approximately 1/3 of the US represented in this class. A lot of transfers. +/- 60 new players. They dipped into TX, NV, CA and AZ and grabbed some impressive talent at skill positions. As impressive as any other team in the conference. It will be interesting to see how many of these out of region recruits stick around Marshall once it's below freezing for the 40th day in a row.

Team making the right moves:
          CSP - There is an argument for CSP to replace Bemidji or USF in the top 3-6. They grabbed a lot of the St. Cloud transfers. Picked up plenty of local talent (MN/WI) which is critical for overall success but also dipped into TX, FL and CA for some talent. I expect CSP will continue to improve under Currier.

Most potential for future recruiting success:
          Northern - New stadium, new dorms, renovations, updated facilities and new energy in the coaching staff. Add a great fan base and Men's bball and vball success. No reason for Northern not to become a postseason contender. New staff has WI connections which will be critical for success. 2020 class has some very intriguing transfers that will make an immediate impact.

With CSP and Northern taking steps in the right direction I feel the top of the conference will become more competitive. I have a feeling the gap is going to widen even further between the top tier teams and bottom tier teams leaving not much of a middle tier if any at all other than Moorehead. I anticipate Wayne, SMSU, Minot, Mary and UIU will continue to struggle to field competitive teams.

Comment

I agree mostly but if your best recruits are at the most important positions, you dont need 22 studs. If u have 4 studs on both sides of ball at the most important positions you will b very competitive. Case in point, smsu goes 4 wide alot and throws a lot, so center, left tackle , receiver and qb are most important on offense. Left tackle is sophmore stud, center really good, and qb and receiver dou they signed from arizona have d1 talent and might b best recruits in conference. They have stud middle lb and brought in 12 dbacks and 3 or 4 of them are 4.4 40 guys. They are bringin in a lot of dtackles so if dline gets right it could b interesting in nsic next four years!

Comment

Originally posted by NSICFballFan View Post

Great board idea. I agree with your top five but wanted to offer input.

I anticipate Wayne, SMSU, Minot, Mary and UIU will continue to struggle to field competitive teams.
              I think Coach McMenamin will have WSC up the upswing. He's a high-energy guy and it seems like he's getting a lot of local/semi-local kids to take notice.

Comment

Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
                I agree mostly but if your best recruits are at the most important positions, you dont need 22 studs. If u have 4 studs on both sides of ball at the most important positions you will b very competitive. Case in point, smsu goes 4 wide alot and throws a lot, so center, left tackle , receiver and qb are most important on offense. Left tackle is sophmore stud, center really good, and qb and receiver dou they signed from arizona have d1 talent and might b best recruits in conference. They have stud middle lb and brought in 12 dbacks and 3 or 4 of them are 4.4 40 guys. They are bringin in a lot of dtackles so if dline gets right it could b interesting in nsic next four years!
                SMSU had 9 NSIC South All-Conference/Honorable Mention and the top WR in the league and went 3-8. Doesn't matter how good the skill positions are if the QB doesn't have time and the D-line can't penetrate. They were one of the worst in D2 in sacks (156th) and sacks allowed (158th). Eight "studs" won't cut it against the league's upper half unless they get consistency and depth up front. Sounds like depth was addressed on the D-line. SMSUs biggest challenge is player retention. Can't build a program if you're bringing in more players each year than you return. Limited development. They'll have to change the culture to compete at a higher level.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

I think Coach McMenamin will have WSC up the upswing. He's a high-energy guy and it seems like he's getting a lot of local/semi-local kids to take notice.
                  I hope so! McMenamin was a great hire. I'd love to see the league more competitive from top to bottom.

I thought I heard somewhere WSC was getting an indoor training facility. Is that true? That would be huge for recruiting. I imagine their biggest recruiting competitor is UNK. They need to match UNK facilities.

Comment

Yeah , smsu had 8 losses, one in overtime , another by one point on last play, one by 9 and one by 10. Only 3 teams in nsic came within 2 touchdowns of Mankato, winona, sioux falls and......SMSU! Had to start 2nd string and third string qb in 3 games last year. I know they couldnt stop the run or run themselves but they were competetive despite that. 4 of there losses were by 26 total points. Def coordinator is now getting players for his scheme(2nd year) o line coach now in 2nd year and they coming off best recruiting class by far. When you have stud dual threat qb on offense it helps running game and their frosh qb from Az might b best in conference( watch film yourself ) Ball control helps def out, so i dont think they are that far away. Watch qb film nick arvay 7, hamilton high school (check highlights on hudl). He dominated aganst 2 top 25 teams in country . Hes gonna make huge difference. Nobodys film comes close to his. Mankato, Sioux falls, winona , Aug still on top but i dont think SMSU is that far apart. Sioux Falls qb they are bringin in is pretty good but his film doesnt compare to nick arvays, and no one played against competition like him . And to other guy, wayne state and winona had good recruiting year, lot of speed. Northern facilities gonna help them alot. I think gap is closing between top and bottom, which in turn makes Nsic even better.

Comment

Originally posted by NSICFballFan View Post

I hope so! McMenamin was a great hire. I'd love to see the league more competitive from top to bottom.

I thought I heard somewhere WSC was getting an indoor training facility. Is that true? That would be huge for recruiting. I imagine their biggest recruiting competitor is UNK. They need to match UNK facilities.
                      Kind of. They are converting the old indoor pool into an indoor facility. It's not a ton of space, but it is better than nothing.

Comment

Yeah , smsu had 8 losses, one in overtime , another by one point on last play, one by 9 and one by 10. Only 3 teams in nsic came within 2 touchdowns of Mankato, winona, sioux falls and......SMSU! Had to start 2nd string and third string qb in 3 games last year. I know they couldnt stop the run or run themselves but they were competetive despite that. 4 of there losses were by 26 total points. Def coordinator is now getting players for his scheme(2nd year) o line coach now in 2nd year and they coming off best recruiting class by far. When you have stud dual threat qb on offense it helps running game and their frosh qb from Az might b best in conference( watch film yourself ) Ball control helps def out, so i dont think they are that far away. Watch qb film nick arvay 7, hamilton high school (check highlights on hudl). He dominated aganst 2 top 25 teams in country . Hes gonna make huge difference. Nobodys film comes close to his. Mankato, Sioux falls, winona , Aug still on top but i dont think SMSU is that far apart. Sioux Falls qb they are bringin in is pretty good but his film doesnt compare to nick arvays, and no one played against competition like him . And to other guy, wayne state and winona had good recruiting year, lot of speed. Northern facilities gonna help them alot. I think gap is closing between top and bottom, which in turn makes Nsic even better.

Comment

The qb from Az is 5 11 185, he was the 6a ( biggest division) qb of the year. How are you ranking the classes coming in? You dont watch any film. , just all state and all conference players and fcs offers? Do all conference high school players equal wins? We are all just guessing but watching film is a part of it, and i dont think a kid that dominated the no 10 team in country in high school with 8 division 1 players on defense is gonna get destroyed by any defense in nsic. The heisman front runner is. qb brock purdy from iowa state (6 foot 190 ) out of high school, is he gettin destroyed by those defenses? D erick king qb from university of miami ( another preseason heisman watch list guy) is 5 11 195, is he gettin destroyed by defense?

Comment

I'm familiar with Chandler Hamilton HS in AZ (where Nick Arvay comes from) since my old HS coach John Wrenn started up that football program back about 20 years ago and won a few state titles. The level of football played there is high, and Nick Arvay does have a slight frame overall compared a lot of QB's like the new USF fella..but he runs real well and throws it well also. With SMSU having some challenges protecting the QB, the challenge would be for a guy like Arvay to stay healthy week to week. I'm excited to see him and some of the other higher profile D2 guys take the field.

Here's a bit on Arvay, if SMSU folks haven't seen this in the past.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...te/4593971002/

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nic...3-d9586328be4a

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                              A Winona fan posted they were at 36 scholarships already up from 28. That would be a lot of money. Anybody know what a scholarship costs an athletic department? With title IX wouldn't the department be obligated to add 9 women's scholarships?
                              Depends on cost of the school. To endow a full scholarship at Northern would be roughly $350,000.

Comment

Only 3 teams in nsic came within 2 touchdowns of Mankato, winona, sioux falls and......SMSU!
                                I've never been more impressed by my team losing after the MSU game. I've never been more embarrassed by my team losing after the BSU game.

Quite the roller coaster of emotions - but at the end of the day, a loss is a loss.

The MSU game was really something though. Mustangs made a couple of mistakes and they were capitalized on by the Mavericks. The game was a lot closer than the scoreboard let on. A couple of quantifiable plays go different and the Mustangs may have come out on top. Considering we've never beat Mankato, I was very, very impressed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X