Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Van Diest to Mary..

https://goumary.com/news/2020/2/10/l...ing-staff.aspx

One of the most legendary coaches in the history of NAIA football....lands at Mary. Pretty interesting stuff.

You dont see a retired coach come back to an upstart program too often. I think the new school Bagnell approach and Van Diest's old school mentality will mesh well. You have to imagine it would help with Montana recruiting. Only time will tell.

Comment

Interesting hire. I knew his name looked familiar when it initially came across my twitter feed.

cougar1997They can have fun with Minnesota-Duluth nowhttps://www.argusleader.com/story/bl...e-d2/91090842/

Now it's Coach Van Diest's turn!
      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
      2016 NSIC Champions
      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
        Interesting hire. I knew his name looked familiar when it initially came across my twitter feed.

cougar1997They can have fun with Minnesota-Duluth nowhttps://www.argusleader.com/story/bl...e-d2/91090842/

Now it's Coach Van Diest's turn!
        Well, considering USF is 3-1 against Minnesota-Duluth, I guess we are having fun with them!

Carroll College and USF pretty much dominated the NAIA during the 2000s. There were some other good teams sprinkled in there, but those two were the top dogs. Some fun rivalry between those two teams, although I remember that there was quite a bit of respect between the programs so when they did play each other there was a surprising lack of trash talking or extracurriculars on the field.

Interesting that MVD is coming out of retirement for a coaching assistant job. I'm speculating that perhaps he's not going to be doing this full time? Just a guess.

Comment

Since I speak to the head coaches before the season for my preview, I decided to reach out to Coach Bagnell to find out a bit more about this interesting pairing. I'm also friends with a longtime Carroll College booster, as he's friends with MVD. In a nutshell, it's a fresh new challenge for Coach Van Diest, who is a fiery competitor. For those that don't know, MVD was the head coach of Carroll (Helena, MT) of the NAIA during a historic run in the 2000's in which they won 6 Nattys.

Coach Van Diest will be around for Spring Ball and then return in July for the fall. He will still live in the Helena area, but will stay in Bismarck during the season and such. He's got close family in Missoula, MT (between Bismarck and Helena)..and family in surrounding states as well. He will be working with the linebackers, which makes sense..as he was a defensive minded coach. He will also be utilized by Bagnell as a great person to bounce ideas off..especially considering MVD's great experience and track record. For anyone who's heard Van Diest talk to players and such..he's been said to look like an older version of UFC legend Randy Couture....as he's got a certain command of the room. I'm sure that and the respect he's earned in coaching..will immediately resonate in Bismarck.

Comment

Comment

Just a side note, Missoula is a little bit west of Helena, not quite between Bismarck and Helena, but I guess it's how you take the road trip.

Comment

Mary's move to D2 in football has been- well, less than stellar. They have tried the wide open passing offense, the wishbone, and what was that defense- the 2-5-4 or whatever combination? They feel that they need to do something to move up the ladder- to get some excitement, some recruits and most importantly some wins. You can't teach an old dog new tricks but maybe the old dog can teach you some old ones. Can't fault them for trying this.

Comment

Originally posted by USF Cougar Fan View Post
                  Just a side note, Missoula is a little bit west of Helena, not quite between Bismarck and Helena, but I guess it's how you take the road trip.
                  haha..yes. I don't end up in Montana often...but meant Billings.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

haha..yes. I don't end up in Montana often...but meant Billings.
                    Billings the city that smells like $$$ oil refineries.

Comment

Things started going downhill for Van Diest when USF's DC Morrell got to Montana Tech. Got out-coached a handful of times, and had to actually work hard to recruit.

Comment

Nothing against Bagnell, he put together some great schemes when he was at Bemidji. However, there is a major difference between giving your opinion and having the final say as a head coach. I think at times his emotions got the best of him. example 4th and 1 against St. Cloud during his first game and going for it while they were up. odd call. At the end of the day, 1-11 and 2-9 is less than stellar. As stated above Van Diest can command a room but do today's athletes want to be commanded? Its a fine line, look at Dabo Sweeney and Ed Oregon.

Prediction- The hire works and UMary improves to 6-5 with momentum carrying into a great recruiting class or its an absolute train wreck and Van Diest packs his bags for Montana, nothing in between. Can't fault them for trying as a ton of money has been pumped into the program.

Comment

UMary1....thanks for posting. We haven't seen much posting for their program and it's nice to see representation from all schools.

I think that UMary has some pieces on the offensive side and some potential there. Logan Nelson at QB can be a strong dual threat that could be pretty good, if he can stay healthy. With playmakers at wideout like Danny Kittner and Luke Little, the Marauders should continue to take positive steps forward.

Defensively, with UMC now gone, they cannot be the worst in the conference or their record will not change. They were almost as bad as Crookston last year on D..and that's a bad sign.

You raise an interesting point about Van Diest. Yes, when Carroll had success he was pretty hardcore. Finding a happy medium with younger coaches along with a coach who's got a track record that demands respect might be a good pairing. As a fan, I think it makes Mary a little more interesting..to see how that turns out.

I don't recall seeing where Mary starts the year....but getting off to a good start might be especially important to a young squad here that's looking for something to believe in.

Comment

Thanks Matt, appreciate the time you guys put in. I agree that the offensive side has some nice pieces. I really liked what Holinka did when he was here two years ago (UND Defensive Coordinator). I think Van Diest will add some veteran leadership on defense and as a fan it is exciting during spring ball. Only time will tell. Enjoy the week.

Comment

Working from home for the next few weeks and I am beyond bored. I am hoping this does not affect the college football season but one can only hope. In the mean time I will stay positive and talk about how impressed I am with what UMary did on the defensive side of the ball. 3 quality coaches were brought in Van Diest, White (former Michigan State DB) and Kastens (D Line coach from Carroll. As a supporter/fan this really looks like a major improvement from last year. Schedule also bodes well for a great start-only time will tell.

https://goumary.com/sports/football/coaches

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X