Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laker View Post

I'll really be a Tiger fan for both of those games, but especially the second one.
    Cheers to that.

Comment

Comment

Major bummer, but I'm content knowing SJU won the last conference matchup between the two. I'm more bummed about the weddings I had to miss this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

Major bummer, but I'm content knowing SJU won the last conference matchup between the two. I'm more bummed about the weddings I had to miss this fall.

Comment

[QUOTE=Twincitiesmav;n540710]

Comment

[QUOTE=WSUWarriorFan;n540732]I knew Johnnie players who had some very uncomplimentary comments about the Rat Pack and looked upon them with contempt. There is a difference between supporting your team and being grossly rude.

Comment

This is the one sporting event that got cancelled that I'm actually a little bit bummed about. I don't even like either school - in fact I quite despise both of them, but it was still a matchup I thought I should make an attempt to see at least once in my life. Collegeville would have been the ideal setting, but US Bank was going to be interesting. I had predicted at least 30,000... if not 40,000 would be in attendance. College Gameday would have picked up the game easily - it would have been a fun little vacation.

I hate to be "that guy," but UST and SJU were two sides to the same coin - the only way they ever got national recognition was because of each other (or John Gagliardi for SJU, I suppose). This "forced" separation hurts both of them a lot, IMO. So... back to being "that guy," does SJU make any attempts to move up in the next 10 years? Will I still be able to see this matchup at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                  This is the one sporting event that got cancelled that I'm actually a little bit bummed about. I don't even like either school - in fact I quite despise both of them, but it was still a matchup I thought I should make an attempt to see at least once in my life. Collegeville would have been the ideal setting, but US Bank was going to be interesting. I had predicted at least 30,000... if not 40,000 would be in attendance. College Gameday would have picked up the game easily - it would have been a fun little vacation.

I hate to be "that guy," but UST and SJU were two sides to the same coin - the only way they ever got national recognition was because of each other (or John Gagliardi for SJU, I suppose). This "forced" separation hurts both of them a lot, IMO. So... back to being "that guy," does SJU make any attempts to move up in the next 10 years? Will I still be able to see this matchup at some point?
                  I don't think SJU goes D1 or D2 anytime soon or ever. Losing STU hurts them but I think they will manage fine without them, Bethel and Concordia Moorehead will take over as their main football rivals. People will talk about the Tommy's football dominance being the reason they got the boot but there is much more than just that, look at their dominance in all sports along with their academic pieces and they were a different animal than the other MIAC schools. D1 is a better fit for them I don't feel the same way about SJU.

Comment

[QUOTE=laker;n540780]

I knew Johnnie players who had some very uncomplimentary comments about the Rat Pack and looked upon them with contempt. There is a difference between supporting your team and being grossly rude.
                    I'm kind of surprised they are still around considering not too many people care for them. I know couple of then got arrested last year for running into the field after the game was over.

Comment

D1 is a better fit for them I don't feel the same way about SJU.
                      St John's loves their position in D3. Plus they have the Bennis right down the road- they aren't going D1.

Comment

[QUOTE=WSUWarriorFan;n541163]

I'm kind of surprised they are still around considering not too many people care for them. I know couple of then got arrested last year for running into the field after the game was over.
                        Don't get me started. My former girlfriend's brother went to Gustavus when I was going to MSU and I would give him rides to St Peter from back home. I got to hear plenty of stories of entitled brats whose parent's paid off the damages.

Comment

St John's loves their position in D3. Plus they have the Bennis right down the road- they aren't going D1.
                          Exactly. No reason for then to move anywhere.

Comment

I don't think SJU goes D1 or D2 anytime soon or ever. Losing STU hurts them but I think they will manage fine without them, Bethel and Concordia Moorehead will take over as their main football rivals. People will talk about the Tommy's football dominance being the reason they got the boot but there is much more than just that, look at their dominance in all sports along with their academic pieces and they were a different animal than the other MIAC schools. D1 is a better fit for them I don't feel the same way about SJU.
                            I suppose that makes sense. It really kills their big national profile though, - ESPN isn't coming without UST. They'll find another niche though. Should be interesting to see how they handle it.

I'm also not sure if the market in Minnesota is big enough for another low-D1 program. The Dakota schools get a lot of support from us, especially NDSU and SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I suppose that makes sense. It really kills their big national profile though, - ESPN isn't coming without UST. They'll find another niche though. Should be interesting to see how they handle it.

I'm also not sure if the market in Minnesota is big enough for another low-D1 program. The Dakota schools get a lot of support from us, especially NDSU and SDSU.
                              It will be interesting to see how people perceive the jump once they are a couple years in. Sadly people look down at it since it isn't the Big 10 but they fail to realize that FCS football teams are pretty good too and have beaten FBS teams for a while now.

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I wonder what the move up does for coaches. Do they all get a salary bump for going up? If so I wonder if they would start replacing coaches since being D1 would open them up for different coaching candidates than in the past.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X