Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

It will be interesting to see how people perceive the jump once they are a couple years in. Sadly people look down at it since it isn't the Big 10 but they fail to realize that FCS football teams are pretty good too and have beaten FBS teams for a while now.
    They'll be going PFL though from my understanding, so that's not exactly a super high class of FCS football. I am very curious to see how this all shakes out though.

Comment

UST can still play SJU even when they move to D1, and it should still be fairly competitive. The tommies are going to a non-scholarship football conference. It is quite common for them to play lower division schools, and it is not unheard of for those to be away games as well. The PFL has zero chance at ever getting an at-large bid anyway, so the only way into the playoffs is to win the conference, which SJU does not affect.

Comment

Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post
        UST can still play SJU even when they move to D1, and it should still be fairly competitive. The tommies are going to a non-scholarship football conference. It is quite common for them to play lower division schools, and it is not unheard of for those to be away games as well. The PFL has zero chance at ever getting an at-large bid anyway, so the only way into the playoffs is to win the conference, which SJU does not affect.
        Really? Didnt know that!

Comment

There are actually no restrictions on the scheduling of (single) inter-divisional games as per NCAA rules. Hypothetically speaking, this means that Clemson could play against Martin Luther College, if both teams agree to it. Obviously, this would assume the ACC doesn't have their own restrictions on scheduling inter-divisional opponents as conferences have a say too.

The restrictions come in regarding what the upper division school is able to do with the win. In the hypothetical, Clemson could count the win on the record books, however they could not use it for bowl eligibility as MLC is three divisions below them. For a competitive school like Clemson, there is no reward to playing MLC - but there is a lot of risk. Injury, rankings, and reputation - and that's just for a win. Imagine if they lost? This is why we don't see it happening, and for the simple fact that they just aren't on Clemson's radar.

On the flipside, MLC wouldn't want to play Clemson either - it's almost a guaranteed loss. They would be risking injuries for no help in their playoff pursuits either. About all they'd get is some exposure.

In UST's case, their position in FCS along with their rivalry actually do provide some upsides (and a lack of downsides) to playing SJU - especially in the short term.

Things do get a bit more complicated when in the instance an FBS/FCS (and even D2) wants to schedule multiple inter-divisional games in a season, but for one-off games, there would be nothing preventing SJU and UST playing each other, unless the PFL (or even the MIAC) said no, which I doubt would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            There are actually no restrictions on the scheduling of (single) inter-divisional games as per NCAA rules. Hypothetically speaking, this means that Clemson could play against Martin Luther College, if both teams agree to it. Obviously, this would assume the ACC doesn't have their own restrictions on scheduling inter-divisional opponents as conferences have a say too.
            I've watched games at MLC's bowl, and I've been to Death Valley, just not on game day. Amazing to imagine those two playing each other.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I've watched games at MLC's bowl, and I've been to Death Valley, just not on game day. Amazing to imagine those two playing each other.
              I was trying to think of the most absurd matchup I could think of to drive home the point I was trying to make and they came to mind first, haha.

Never watched a game there although I'd really like too. They are the second closest CFB team of any level to me after SMSU. I've been back to their bowl, just never inside. Kind of a cool setup they have back there.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I was trying to think of the most absurd matchup I could think of to drive home the point I was trying to make and they came to mind first, haha.

Never watched a game there although I'd really like too. They are the second closest CFB team of any level to me after SMSU. I've been back to their bowl, just never inside. Kind of a cool setup they have back there.
                Just a few years ago they were winless. Then the next year they were .500 and the next year won the UMAC and made the playoffs for the first time. Now they are the big boy in that conference, especially with St Scholastica leaving for the MIAC.

Comment

Just a few years ago they were winless. Then the next year they were .500 and the next year won the UMAC and made the playoffs for the first time. Now they are the big boy in that conference, especially with St Scholastica leaving for the MIAC.
                  I found MLC to be interesting because they are very specific with what they offer academically - so the fact that they can offer a playoff contending football team is truly fascinating.

Comment

I ran a computer simulator of a matchup of Alabama vs. Crown College and Alabama won 186-0. HAHAHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

I ran a computer simulator of a matchup of Alabama vs. Crown College and Alabama won 186-0. HAHAHA!!
                      Not even close to the 222-0 that John Heisman and Georgia Tech put on Cumberland!

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/...-222-0-victory

Comment

Or we can go the Transitive Property route.
                        https://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.c...=2019;method=2

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X