Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=SW_Mustang;n511335]
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

On the flipside, nursing homes who do experience significant losses could shut down. Around here, they employ a significant portion of the population because our population is so old. Hypothetically, if they were to shutdown, it would devastate the local economy. A few hundred people would be without work and would most likely have to move, and those that need the service wouldn't be able to get it.

But that side of things is conveniently forgotten about - because being able to eat a cheeseburger in a McDonald's matters more than people's lives I guess.
    WTH are you talking about? The point was being made about the low effect of those not elelderly or with conditions...

I was only trying to add a direct perspective from a healthcare professional of direct experiences that branch out over more than one state. Someone in direct contact with others in the same position as well as doctors. When they shut the door to visitors lover two months ago greater than 95% of residents pushed back on it.

We got to go to church last weekend and the vast majority were elderly. I deliver all over the place and you know who I see out eating or running to the parts store not wearing anything...the elderly.

It is certainly important to protect them, but atleast for this region, they are out making their own decisions. If they feel the need or anyone does, they wear a mask.

Also, under current policy you wouldn't be out of a pay check for two weeks, if positive and staying home you are covered by one of the different unemployment options.

Comment

[QUOTE=SW_Mustang;n511333]
      Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

The original claim said "zero danger," not "zero deaths." Furthermore your information is only from Minnesota, I'd like to see a nationwide or worldwide survey. Then maybe I'll concede to you on that point.

Danger means more than just death. Long term health effects, perhaps? I personally can't afford to take two weeks off of work for more reasons than just financial, so I'd rather not get sick. ~42% of United States adults are obese. Probably slightly less for those in their 20's, admittedly but an adult getting coronavirus is also quite likely to be obese. It's not just some "underlying condition" that a handful of people have, it's something a significant portion of the population have. I am overweight, unfortunately - I'm not excluded from my claim, and yes it is my own fault.

Lastly, most people whining about the COVID shutdowns didn't care about the bolded beforehand - and they won't after. Standing on the graves of suicide victims to get a haircut is pretty low, but I wouldn't expect anything less from about half of the country.
      I wanted to in-bed some interactive CDC graphs as well but could not figure out how to get it done. Shows the same thing. Maybe not zero deaths under 30 but so infinitesimal to be irrelevant. The odds of a student getting killed by a car while crossing the street for pizza is likely far greater than dyeing of the virus. I originally wrote a lot more but decided to delete as this is a board for sports. Just suffice it to say that, in my opinion, those in positions of power are being a lot more concerned about the risk posed for young and healthy athletes than is necessary. I will add though that the comment about suicides arising from lack of haircuts is a bit off the mark.

Comment

[QUOTE=NSU4LIFE;n511340]
        Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

WTH are you talking about? The point was being made about the low effect of those not elelderly or with conditions...

I was only trying to add a direct perspective from a healthcare professional of direct experiences that branch out over more than one state. Someone in direct contact with others in the same position as well as doctors. When they shut the door to visitors lover two months ago greater than 95% of residents pushed back on it.

We got to go to church last weekend and the vast majority were elderly. I deliver all over the place and you know who I see out eating or running to the parts store not wearing anything...the elderly.

It is certainly important to protect them, but atleast for this region, they are out making their own decisions. If they feel the need or anyone does, they wear a mask.

Also, under current policy you wouldn't be out of a pay check for two weeks, if positive and staying home you are covered by one of the different unemployment options.
        I accidentally quoted your post. I've since fixed it. The dramatic "WTH" is really appreciated though - as if I haven't rolled my eyes enough already today.

In regards to the bolded, I already addressed it in a previous post - but I can't afford to take time off from work and it's not related to my personal finances. Also, those unemployment plans are ending soon - end of July I believe, unless they are renewed. EDIT: That's just me personally though, and nowhere did I imply that applies to anyone else but me.
        Last edited by SW_Mustang; 06-02-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=DapperDan;n511360]

I wanted to in-bed some interactive CDC graphs as well but could not figure out how to get it done. Shows the same thing. Maybe not zero deaths under 30 but so infinitesimal to be irrelevant. The odds of a student getting killed by a car while crossing the street for pizza is likely far greater than dyeing of the virus. I originally wrote a lot more but decided to delete as this is a board for sports. Just suffice it to say that, in my opinion, those in positions of power are being a lot more concerned about the risk posed for young and healthy athletes than is necessary. I will add though that the comment about suicides arising from lack of haircuts is a bit off the mark.
          If you post links, I'll look at them.

My point is there's more to just "danger" than just death. Evidence is starting to come out that long-term effects of the disease will exist, but I'm not a healthcare professional so I'm not going to attempt to make sense of them. I've got a history with asthma, so I'd rather not take the risk. I'm doing all I can, but it'd be a bummer if some random individual got me sick because of their right to go to the store or something weird like that.

Comment

These are the only schools that are not suspending classes to some degree as of me writing this, although I would definitely expect to see this change.

University of Mary: Open in Bismarck, although they are allowing students to make other arrangements. Closed in Rome.
            Northern State University: Open

Wayne State: Open

Is that Rome like in the Pope?

Comment

Is that Rome like in the Pope?
              Yes.

They operate a campus in Italy that serves as a central hub for their study abroad program. There's not a ton of information about the facility itself - so I'm not sure if they actually own it or not. It looks like a big apartment building with a church stapled to the side of it. At one point they operated a program in Peru too.

Mary couldn't accommodate the students in Bismarck so they were given the option to study at their Tempe, Arizona campus which is on the campus of Arizona State.

Comment

[QUOTE=DapperDan;n511009]

Comment

[QUOTE=SW_Mustang;n511052]

Interesting. The claim stated there was zero danger, yet the article doesn't say that anywhere.

We can agree there is very little danger, but zero danger is a bit of a reach.

Comment

[QUOTE=BSUDad;n512548]Just for the record. That was not my post. I agree with you.

Comment

[QUOTE=BSUDad;n512548]I'd ask what agenda the media has but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Conspiracy theories are never fun to discuss online.

Your personal feelings don't count as a source, but if you'd like to know mine - I think we should take reasonable precautions. I don't watch the news though so I don't know what's all happening out there in the coronavirus scene. I've been trying to take those reasonable precautions, and I've avoided getting sick. If others don't care, that's fine too. Let them monkey with natural selection I guess.

Comment

[QUOTE=SW_Mustang;n512565]
                        Originally posted by BSUDad View Post

I'd ask what agenda the media has but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Conspiracy theories are never fun to discuss online.

Your personal feelings don't count as a source, but if you'd like to know mine - I think we should take reasonable precautions. I don't watch the news though so I don't know what's all happening out there in the coronavirus scene. I've been trying to take those reasonable precautions, and I've avoided getting sick. If others don't care, that's fine too. Let them monkey with natural selection I guess.

Comment

[QUOTE=DapperDan;n512559]

Just for the record. That was not my post. I agree with you.

Comment

[QUOTE=BSUDad;n512664]That's not how life works. You can't just hide under your bed. We take precautions to protect the vulnerable in society. I literally have to leave my house everyday, I do the best I can while I'm out there, but it'd be nice if other folks weren't selfish either. There's only so much I can do to protect myself. It's a team effort.

Alex Berenson? Why would I care what he has to say? He's not a scientist. He clearly used the pandemic to make a lot of money on his book. Quite the... agenda, he has, if I do say so myself.

Fox News does a great job of riling up it's viewers, but I don't know for what purpose. Probably to sell more guns or something. Who knows. I try not to pay attention to the news.

Comment

Ok how about back to football? Those of you 8n Minnesota do you think the state will give them the green light soon? Son is itching to get going.

Comment

Ok how about back to football? Those of you 8n Minnesota do you think the state will give them the green light soon? Son is itching to get going.
                                I sure hope so. It was bad enough to go through spring without sports, and now the same for summer. If we have a fall without sports it will really suck.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X