Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

Don't understand conferences already postponing basketball until January. What is the magical thinking behind January that you can't also apply to late November and December? Just seems like superstition to me.
    So I gave in and said we could go to Arizona for a couple months after Christmas. Figured I could watch the new Winona studs several times in person early in the season to make up for it and now this.

Comment

That sounds like a plan. I've been to Mav games at MC for both football and basketball. I need to get off of the farm once in a while.

Comment

What is a sprint sport?

Are institutions allowed to engage in non-NSIC sponsored competition?
        The intent of suspending all outside competition through December 31, 2020 is to provide a safe environment for student-athletes to and to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. No outside competition, even non-NSIC sponsored competition, will be allowed through December 31, 2020 for any sports. This includes no outside competition for
        sprint sports during their non-championship segment through December 31, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
          What is a sprint sport?

The intent of suspending all outside competition through December 31, 2020 is to provide a safe environment for student-athletes to and to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. No outside competition, even non-NSIC sponsored competition, will be allowed through December 31, 2020 for any sports. This includes no outside competition for
          Should say "spring sports". Some text got messed up when I copied/pasted on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            What is a sprint sport?

Sprint football, but that's not exactly popular in the Midwest.

But like WSC said, it's probably "spring."

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

Don't understand conferences already postponing basketball until January. What is the magical thinking behind January that you can't also apply to late November and December? Just seems like superstition to me.
              I think they're just kicking the can down the road, to be honest. Let's wait and see what things are like in mid-December before we decide what to do - kinda thing.

Although, I've talked to a lot of people who seem to have applied the "New Year's Resolution" mentality to the pandemic - everything will magically change on 1/1/2021, because it's the "New Year." If things are bad on 12/31, they will also be bad on 1/1, and probably 2/1 and 3/1 as well. It makes no rational sense to me, but that's really been the story of the last 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I think they're just kicking the can down the road, to be honest. Let's wait and see what things are like in mid-December before we decide what to do - kinda thing.

Although, I've talked to a lot of people who seem to have applied the "New Year's Resolution" mentality to the pandemic - everything will magically change on 1/1/2021, because it's the "New Year." If things are bad on 12/31, they will also be bad on 1/1, and probably 2/1 and 3/1 as well. It makes no rational sense to me, but that's really been the story of the last 5 months.
                Reminds me of the opposite back on Jan 1, 2000 when people feared planes would fall out of the sky for Y2K. People were buying generators that sat unused.

Comment

D1/FCS championships shut down (officially... there weren't enough football conferences left, anyway)

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/n...except-for-cfp

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Reminds me of the opposite back on Jan 1, 2000 when people feared planes would fall out of the sky for Y2K. People were buying generators that sat unused.
                    I remember being at a New Years eve party at my parents friends house and they put the house lights on timers to go off at midnight to mess with everyone. I'm pretty sure my mother let out a good scream. I thought it was pretty funny. Y2k good times.

Comment

• I'm not expecting an NSIC season in the Spring. If anything, they'll play 3-5 games and they'll be treated more like scrimmages.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

I remember being at a New Years eve party at my parents friends house and they put the house lights on timers to go off at midnight to mess with everyone. I'm pretty sure my mother let out a good scream. I thought it was pretty funny. Y2k good times.
                        I was in El Paso on New Years Eve after the Gophers late Sun Bowl loss to Oregon (they got the offensive, defensive and special teams stars of the game because it looked like they were going to win and they wanted the voting done by the end of the game). We were in a room watching the big screen TV at 11 PM and a group of people from Mexico City asked it they could change it to a Mexican channel because the countdown would be starting for their time zone. Sure. They started counting down- from 30. So an hour later we got to go through it again local time. I looked overhead- they were going to release a whole bunch of balloons that were tied up overhead. I wondered it if was going to be like the movie Carrie and have something nasty come down. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

I was pretty young during Y2K, but having family that work in IT they told me about it from there perspective - really an interesting event.

I wonder what some of the believers think 20 years later - of course I remember 2012 being a pretty big deal too, I used to watch tons of conspiracy videos on it (for fun).

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

Haha, that's awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I was pretty young during Y2K, but having family that work in IT they told me about it from there perspective - really an interesting event.

I wonder what some of the believers think 20 years later - of course I remember 2012 being a pretty big deal too, I used to watch tons of conspiracy videos on it (for fun).
                              I lived in the IT world as we went through Y2K.

After it had passed I had a manager at the company I work for complain that we spent a whole bunch of time and resources for something that turned out to be no big deal. I corrected him by saying that it turned out to be no big deal BECAUSE we spent a whole bunch of time and resources.

There were some critical systems that experienced failures across the country. Thankfully they were a small drop in the bucket due to the previous four years of preparation to test, upgrade and fix everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

I lived in the IT world as we went through Y2K.

After it had passed I had a manager at the company I work for complain that we spent a whole bunch of time and resources for something that turned out to be no big deal. I corrected him by saying that it turned out to be no big deal BECAUSE we spent a whole bunch of time and resources.

There were some critical systems that experienced failures across the country. Thankfully they were a small drop in the bucket due to the previous four years of preparation to test, upgrade and fix everything.
                                They said the same thing too - I think they were actually required to work that night to be on hand in case anything went wrong. I think they said they had a few issues but nothing that wasn't fixable.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X