Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL0StZJuBRk

Highlights from MSide vs NW....I was really impressed with the quality of small college play I saw on Sat night. Both offenses were grabbing contested catches and both QB's extending plays and then having monster gains as a result. NW is a very good 2nd place GPAC team..and if their QB stays healthy, I think they could be a real tough out. MSide proved why they are a championship squad..gutting it out after being down 31-24 in the 3rd. Really well played contest..fun to watch.
    Wow the crowd was pretty big for that game. Didn't look like at all like Notre Dame on Saturday where every other row was empty and there were only 2-3 groups per row.

Comment

I continued my North Star tour with a double header. Valley City topped Waldorf 17-16, largely due to several late hits and unsportsmanlike calls against the Warriors. Playing is much more important than talking on the field. Beautiful day, nice setting down in the Valley and yes, I got a VCSU cap. Drove the backroads down to Aberdeen to see Presentation get pounded by Dakota State 42-0, including THREE pick sixes in the first half. At 28-0 I left to make the four hour drive home. Seems odd to watch them at Swisher Field where Northern plays. Saints defense isn't bad but their offense is.

My main reason for going to games is to watch football. However, I do miss bands and cheerleaders who do add to the game atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL0StZJuBRk

Highlights from MSide vs NW....I was really impressed with the quality of small college play I saw on Sat night. Both offenses were grabbing contested catches and both QB's extending plays and then having monster gains as a result. NW is a very good 2nd place GPAC team..and if their QB stays healthy, I think they could be a real tough out. MSide proved why they are a championship squad..gutting it out after being down 31-24 in the 3rd. Really well played contest..fun to watch.
        Matt, Do you think Morningside and NW could compete with middle of the conference NSIC programs (Bemidji, Northern, Moorehead, CSP...)?

Comment

Originally posted by NSICFballFan View Post

Matt, Do you think Morningside and NW could compete with middle of the conference NSIC programs (Bemidji, Northern, Moorehead, CSP...)?
          Yes, I do. Both teams have a very explosive offense and would give NSIC problems. But neither is playing shutdown D when facing other good NAIA teams. Morningside especially is just accustomed to winning (having not lost in the last few years) and plays with that expectation..where a lot of other teams hope to win. I do think either MSide or NW would struggle the line play/size/physicality against teams like USF and Mankato..but I think they'd be able to so just fine against the rest of the league but I don't know if they have the athletes across the board to beat squads like Winona and Augie. BSU is also very physical and would offer a challenge in that manner for certain. I like the chances for both (especially MSide) over the brunt of the conference though..but I do think those two are well ahead of the rest of the GPAC and all but a few NAIA squads.

Comment

Witt, you saw some good Red Raider teams. I think this is their best yet. Kooima at Qb is electric. Moser and Solberg are really good Wr's and the defense was tough tho they finally wore down late. Your thoughts?

Comment

Here are the possible games that I'd go to this weekend.

Concordia @ Briar Cliff at 1 I haven't seen BC play in any sport. I see that they play at Heelan's field off campus.

Dordt @ Dakota Wesleyan at 1 Furthest drive of the three.

Presentation @ Waldorf @ 1 I've seen both teams already. This should be the unsportsmanlike/taunting/late hit bowl. I think that Waldorf rolls. I'll wait to see Waldorf's stadium some other time.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                Here are the possible games that I'd go to this weekend.

Concordia @ Briar Cliff at 1 I haven't seen BC play in any sport. I see that they play at Heelan's field off campus.

Dordt @ Dakota Wesleyan at 1 Furthest drive of the three.

Presentation @ Waldorf @ 1 I've seen both teams already. This should be the unsportsmanlike/taunting/late hit bowl. I think that Waldorf rolls. I'll wait to see Waldorf's stadium some other time.
                Just have to give a shout out to the worst playing surface of my career!! Worse than any HS field I encountered, Heelan's field was essentially concrete covered with dead grass.

During this game, a buddy planted his foot to block on PAT but the ground was so hard his cleats actually caught nothing and started sliding. We later would watch a 300lb man do the splits on the football field as the defense came into him. It was funny at the time but he actually ended up with a partially torn hamstring.
                4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                2016 NSIC Champions
                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

I see Mayville State had to cancel this past weekend's game and this upcoming weekend's game due to COVID.
                  Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
                    I see Mayville State had to cancel this past weekend's game and this upcoming weekend's game due to COVID.
                    Wow, I hadn't heard that! I know some other schools like Briar Cliff have had to do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                      Witt, you saw some good Red Raider teams. I think this is their best yet. Kooima at Qb is electric. Moser and Solberg are really good Wr's and the defense was tough tho they finally wore down late. Your thoughts?
                      The NW offense these days is so much different than the ones from the 2000's etc. So much more explosive..and the QB now can throw it, which was sometimes a challenge for those Red Raider squads back when they were feuding with the Coo. Hard to say about the D just yet..as we are still just getting into the season. Those NW teams typically had a strong, not outstanding, D.

Comment

Saw my sixth North Star team today as Waldorf scored with ten seconds to go in the half to take the lead, then ran away in the second half 55=21 over Mayville. NIce drive, pretty trees and warm sunshine. Next week weather & health willing I'll split time between Dordt & Northwestern, both of whom host.

Yes, got my Waldorf cap.

Comment

Saw my sixth North Star team today as Waldorf scored with ten seconds to go in the half to take the lead, then ran away in the second half 55=21 over Mayville. NIce drive, pretty trees and warm sunshine. Next week weather & health willing I'll split time between Dordt & Northwestern, both of whom host.

Yes, got my Waldorf cap.
                          The secret for-profit college in Iowa.

Seriously though, I'm a bit envious - no scheduled sporting events for me for at least 6 months at this point, unless something changes drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

The secret for-profit college in Iowa.

Seriously though, I'm a bit envious - no scheduled sporting events for me for at least 6 months at this point, unless something changes drastically.
                            I've seen all of the North Star teams at least once- now I'm trying to see the GPAC teams. Dordt & Northwestern are only 12 miles apart so I might spend a half at each place. Briar Cliff has had some strong restrictions on attendance and have has allowed no fans the last several contests.

Comment

I've seen all of the North Star teams at least once- now I'm trying to see the GPAC teams. Dordt & Northwestern are only 12 miles apart so I might spend a half at each place. Briar Cliff has had some strong restrictions on attendance and have has allowed no fans the last several contests.
                              That would be kind of interesting. Go to one half at one game, leave at halftime, see the second half at another game. I guess small-town sports writers do that a lot, but it's still kinda neat.

I'd love to get out and see some small college football. Always an interesting atmosphere.

Comment

Went to Dordt first. Hit the bookstore for my cap and hat pin. Watched the first half- Defenders were up 27-6 over Doane at half when I took off for Northwestern. Red Raiders were up 13-0 at half when I got there- bookstore was closed due to break. Pretty good game- Northwestern scored late to put it away 31-19 after picking off a pass in their end zone. GPAC is just a more talented league than the North Star. Better QBs, they use their tight ends- just more impressive.

Question for anyone. Both Dordt and Northwestern are church schools- the Christian Reformed Church. I know that the Lutherans had a whole bunch of branches but was wondering why there were two colleges so close together- 12 miles apart.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X