Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Question for anyone. Both Dordt and Northwestern are church schools- the Christian Reformed Church. I know that the Lutherans had a whole bunch of branches but was wondering why there were two colleges so close together- 12 miles apart.

Comment

The Christian Reformed Church (CRC) split from the Reformed Church in America (then known as the Dutch Reformed Church) in an 1857 secession. This was rooted in part as a result of a theological dispute that originated in the Netherlands when Hendrik De Kok was deposed for his Calvinist convictions, leading there to the . For the CRC founders in America, the RCA at the time appeared to contain problems similar to the State Church in the old country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ..._North_America

Comment

But both thought they were "better" than us Baptist heathens in Sioux Falls.
        4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
        2016 NSIC Champions
        🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-05-Austin-Powers-in-Goldmember.png Views:	9 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	538844
          There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
          Last edited by Augie Skyhook; 10-20-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

But both thought they were "better" than us Baptist heathens in Sioux Falls.
            I've been to Sioux Falls. For a bunch of heathens, you've done a great job. Nice city!

Last edited by crixus; 10-20-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I've been to Sioux Falls. For a bunch of heathens, you've done a great job. Nice city!

Probably the most beautiful city park I've ever visited. Friendly town and an easy-to-navigate airport. Only thing wrong with SF's is that they closed Senor Weiner. :-)

Comment

If the prediction holds that it will be at least 50 degrees and dry on Halloween I might repeat my trip to Dordt to see Morningside in the first half and then to Northwestern to see Midland (for the first time in any sport) on Saturday.

Comment

Went to the first half of the two time NAIA defending champ Morningside game at Dordt, then drove the 12 miles to Orange City and saw the second half of the Midland at Northwestern game. Should have stayed at Sioux Center- that went right down to the end while the Red Raiders won in a blowout. Morningside's tight end is a real horse.

Comment

Laker, I'm impressed with your travels and ongoing interests to see small college football in our area. Teams like MSide and NW are worth a follow though and play a fun to watch style of football. I'm impressed with the NW QB, who I believe is now their career passing leader..but has feet too and can scoot. Seems like a leader type also. Dordt has come a good way in the last 10-12 years and if they are competitive, it makes that NW Iowa area in general all the more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                      Laker, I'm impressed with your travels and ongoing interests to see small college football in our area. Teams like MSide and NW are worth a follow though and play a fun to watch style of football. I'm impressed with the NW QB, who I believe is now their career passing leader..but has feet too and can scoot. Seems like a leader type also. Dordt has come a good way in the last 10-12 years and if they are competitive, it makes that NW Iowa area in general all the more interesting.
                      I hope that northwest Iowa hosts some playoff games this spring. I really enjoy seeing some new teams. Dordt came so close to beating Morningside and Northwestern showed plenty of offense when they played the Mustangs. I doubt if I will be going anywhere this Saturday as the games seem to be even further away. Having seen all of the North Star and six of the GPAC teams there is no comparison between the two leagues. I see that Dickinson is still unbeaten and I think has won the NSAA for the sixth straight time.

Comment

NAIA Football Series starts April 17th. I expect Morningside and Northwestern to host 1st rounders. Dordt will be right on the line, but history says 2-loss teams, no matter how 'good' those losses are, probably won't sneak in as conference champs get priority as long as ranked in top 20.
                        the spring group of schools include a 'lot's of top 15 NAIA teams. Maybe two schools make it in with more than one loss.
                        Southeastern was 8-1 last year and sat home.

Comment

Barry, being an NAIA expert, do you know if the GPAC teams will play any games in the Spring (like 1 or 2) before playoffs begin....or are they going to just come in from outta the cold and have playoffs..? Weird situation obviously due to the COVID..

Comment

I'm happy for the Defenders, but man, Dordt in the playoff hunt is really hard thing for my old washed up NAIA mind to comprehend.
                            2016 NSIC Champions
                            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                              I'm happy for the Defenders, but man, Dordt in the playoff hunt is really hard thing for my old washed up NAIA mind to comprehend.
                              Have they ever made the playoffs? I haven't seen them on any list of teams that did. But I've watched them twice, they are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Have they ever made the playoffs? I haven't seen them on any list of teams that did. But I've watched them twice, they are pretty good.
                                You got me curious so I looked it up... They have never made the playoffs.

Their first season was in 2008. In that first decade of existence, they had a grand total of 8 GPAC wins. In 2018, they finally turned the corner and had their first winning season at 7-3 and finished ranked 23rd in the NAIA poll. They were 5-5 in 2017, so you could claim that was their first non-losing season.

Dordt started their program when I was with the Coo and in my entire time playing football, Dordt didn't win a single conference game. So to seem them winning and in the playoff hunt is crazy to me. Glad they got things turned around. Maybe there's hope for my Vanderbilt Commodores yet if Dordt can do it.

My favorite story from those days was my redshirt year. Johnny Carino's in Sioux Falls had a promo that season that for every USF TD scored, they would take a dollar off your tab. I don't think they envisioned the highest scoring NAIA offense in history however when they setup the promo. But it was awesome for poor hungry college kids. Even as redshirts, we made sure to get a ticket stub so we could hit up Johnny Carino's afterwards for basically a free meal. After a homecoming trouncing of the poor Defenders (77-0 I believe, $11 dollars off!), a group of us were waiting for a table. A poor Dordt football player comes walking up to the restaurant (has his team gear on) with his family and we couldn't help but wonder if he had a deal with his parents to throw the game to save them some money (Dutch things), or if his parents would have the heart to hang on to the ticket stub and not humiliate the kid again.
                                2016 NSIC Champions
                                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X