Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Brown said this on CSNBBS:

I've been told that four DII schools that have been tied to the OVC are: Grand Valley (FB only), Southern Indiana, Lincoln Memorial and Minnesota State.

Nobody is pulling the trigger right now. They are exploring the possibility...even if they have the relevant stakeholders on campus ready to move up, I believe all four would need some other external things to happen before they can move up.

Comment

• I have no idea why our administration would drag their feet on trying to improve the perception of the university only to end up up in the OVC. It's not like the Summit wouldn't take us if we actually bothered to commit. Our old rivals and peer institutions are mostly in the Summit. If we are worried about being murdered in the MVFC and laughed at for Blakeslee Stadium, then I get that.

But travel will be a massive pain and I just can't see our historically extremely uninspired administration wanting to have kids out of class longer than necessary (our AD has been great but our new President is from DII CSU-East Bay) But whatever gets up up to D1 I guess.

There are 2 public system flagships left in D2, us and Alaska. We spend nearly as much on athletics as UL-Monroe does of the FBS Sun Belt Conference. We are top 10 in enrollment and athletoc success in D2, yet other Universities jump at the opportunity while we sit here and do nothing. We aren't even an R-institution which is pretty amusing for a state which pretends to have better academics than it's neighbors.

Sorry for the rant.

Edit: Actually I have to imagine MVFC football was a major hangup due to not being able to fund the full 63 scholarships and lack of adequate football facilities. In that case the OVC skeleton is much preferred as it will be a significantly cheaper conference to deal with. Morehead State might be pressured to join in football again and that's an easy victory. Mix in a few GLVC/GLIAC call ups and I think we can be competitive right away. Summit olympics/OVC football would be preferred but they might not take that and want us OVC all-sports.
      Last edited by Supercal95; 10-21-2021, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post
        I have no idea why our administration would drag their feet on trying to improve the perception of the university only to end up up in the OVC. It's not like the Summit wouldn't take us if we actually bothered to commit. Our old rivals and peer institutions are mostly in the Summit. If we are worried about being murdered in the MVFC and laughed at for Blakeslee Stadium, then I get that.

But travel will be a massive pain and I just can't see our historically extremely uninspired administration wanting to have kids out of class longer than necessary (our AD has been great but our new President is from DII CSU-East Bay) But whatever gets up up to D1 I guess.

There are 2 public system flagships left in D2, us and Alaska. We spend nearly as much on athletics as UL-Monroe does of the FBS Sun Belt Conference. We are top 10 in enrollment and athletoc success in D2, yet other Universities jump at the opportunity while we sit here and do nothing. We aren't even an R-institution which is pretty amusing for a state which pretends to have better academics than it's neighbors.

Sorry for the rant.

Edit: Actually I have to imagine MVFC football was a major hangup due to not being able to fund the full 63 scholarships and lack of adequate football facilities. In that case the OVC skeleton is much preferred as it will be a significantly cheaper conference to deal with. Morehead State might be pressured to join in football again and that's an easy victory. Mix in a few GLVC/GLIAC call ups and I think we can be competitive right away. Summit olympics/OVC football would be preferred but they might not take that and want us OVC all-sports.
        MSU is a hockey school. The only reason to move up to D1 is to protect the hockey program (or possibly improve it's position).

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          I'd think that all four schools mentioned would need to raise a ton of money- in addition to MSU being able to somehow finance a suitable football stadium.

Now I don't think they'd necessarily need a fancy new stadium. MSU would need one that was simply nice enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
            I don't see the Mavs going to the OVC for any reason. Summit would be the one that makes sense if they made the jump.

Comment

• I can say with certainty that I would stop supporting MSU as my #2 school if they moved to D1 - just have zero interest watching them play against the University of San Diego in football over Duluth or whatever a "Drake" is in basketball over SMSU.

Not that my dollars matter that much anyway, but still...

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                While teams that are way less good get new shiny stadiums while we settle for bandaids fixing boo boos.
                Hey! I resemble that remark! Just minding my own business over here and I catch a stray.

Please note this comment was said with sarcasm and the author was not actually bothered by the original post. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post

Sorry for the rant.
                  It depends on how you define "flagship," but there's also Kentucky State, Virginia State, and West Virginia State - all three of which are D2.

Also, "research university" is just a fancy title (just like D1). It doesn't mean much if you're outside of the AAU, for the most part. Comparing MSU to NDSU is like comparing Burger King to McDonald's - one might be better than the other, but neither are fine dining. NDSU might be a "research university," but MSU also does not want the title of being an agriculture school. SDSU can't even figure out how to offer an MBA, which is ironic - but they can tell you what chemical compounds make up a horse's hair. Truly useful information, I guess.

Comment

• Former Cornerbacks Coach Jordan Malone has been promoted to cornerbacks coach for Washington State by Dickert. Good for him!!

https://247sports.com/college/washin...51_Tcif-IIB3O8

Comment

• Comment

• Probably all of the above. It will be interesting to see how the final three games go when there is little to no chance to make the playoffs.

One thing- MSU doesn't seem to have the depth of past years. The next man up hasn't been able to step up in a lot of cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Probably all of the above. It will be interesting to see how the final three games go when there is little to no chance to make the playoffs.

One thing- MSU doesn't seem to have the depth of past years. The next man up hasn't been able to step up in a lot of cases.

Comment

• Comment

• Looking at the statistics of MSU three losses there is nothing in common between the three other then giving up more passing yards and points.

UMD was just plain stingy on defense and opportunistic on offense.

Turnovers killed the Mavs against WSC and defensive lapses in the 4th quarter

Against AU, Mavs couldn't run the ball, but played well in passing game, which is Vikings weakness. However, Augie is better at the shootout game and was not sacked, while Mavs gave up 5.

This is just a 1 year blip for MSU. The Mavericks will be back strong as ever next season. MSU always recruit very well in Wisconsin and Illinois. I'm thinking 2016 was a down year as well or am I wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                                Looking at the statistics of MSU three losses there is nothing in common between the three other then giving up more passing yards and points.

UMD was just plain stingy on defense and opportunistic on offense.

Turnovers killed the Mavs against WSC and defensive lapses in the 4th quarter

Against AU, Mavs couldn't run the ball, but played well in passing game, which is Vikings weakness. However, Augie is better at the shootout game and was not sacked, while Mavs gave up 5.

This is just a 1 year blip for MSU. The Mavericks will be back strong as ever next season. MSU always recruit very well in Wisconsin and Illinois. I'm thinking 2016 was a down year as well or am I wrong?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X