Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 SMSU Mustangs

20 plus pages was just too much to wade through. Time for a new page.

72 recruits. That has to be a D2 record for signings in a class, correct?

Certainly some kids there to be excited about.

72...... did I read that right?

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
      72...... did I read that right?
      COVID decimated our roster. It's going to be a rough few years.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

COVID decimated our roster. It's going to be a rough few years.
        Just with people quitting and transferring else where?

Yeah doing my annual pre season predictions is going to be incredibly difficult than years past.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Just with people quitting and transferring else where?

Yeah doing my annual pre season predictions is going to be incredibly difficult than years past.
          That is my understanding. I also believe a lot of the upperclassman waived their eligibility extension.

We don't even have a kicker on the roster right now, as far as I can tell.

Comment

We have three FBS transfers on our signing-day roster, which is interesting:

-Ernest Moore, OL - Hawaii
            -Willie Garrison, RB - Kansas State
            -Andrew Haidt, QB - Northern Illinois

Moore is the only one with FBS game experience, Haidt was QB for FCS Houston Baptist, Garrison redshirted 2019.

Looks like we have more incoming guys from the FBS than we do from southwest Minnesota, for whatever that's worth...

Comment

That is my understanding. I also believe a lot of the upperclassman waived their eligibility extension.

We don't even have a kicker on the roster right now, as far as I can tell.

Comment

We have unusually high turnover as it is. I'm not sure if it's the town, the school, the coaches... or if we're just unlucky. It's a rough guess, but I'd say at least 50% of the incoming signees will be gone by this time next year. They are just casting a wide net. Whoever sticks around, sticks around.

We need to get our act together with retention. I don't think it's just one thing, I think there's a lot that needs to change.

Comment

We have unusually high turnover as it is. I'm not sure if it's the town, the school, the coaches... or if we're just unlucky. It's a rough guess, but I'd say at least 50% of the incoming signees will be gone by this time next year. They are just casting a wide net. Whoever sticks around, sticks around.

We need to get our act together with retention. I don't think it's just one thing, I think there's a lot that needs to change.
                  I feel like it's always been that way. I know I've heard stories of the roster size when Eidsness took over.....MrMustang, I assume most of that was a retention issue.

That's part of why I'd like to see them recruit more closer to home. Guys might quit the team, but imo they'd be less likely to transfer out. So those tuition dollars are still coming in.

Comment

I think they recruit local kids who are good enough.

There aren't that many. They get a good number of the local D2 kids and their efforts there can't be faulted.

Honestly, Marshall has had more D1 kids in the last last 7 years than D2 kids. No way were were going to get those kids no matter how hard we tried.

Retention is always an issue and more so now in the "me culture" of immediate expectations.

Comment

I don't blame any kid who decided to leave because of Covid. The Minnesota State schools are ripping kids off and stealing money. Online school is a joke and it isn't a real college experience for these kids with all the lockdowns and limitations. This ain't Sauter's fault over even the AD, decisions being made way above them. The idea that you don't get to have a normal college experience is bad for kids and their mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I feel like it's always been that way. I know I've heard stories of the roster size when Eidsness took over.....MrMustang, I assume most of that was a retention issue.

That's part of why I'd like to see them recruit more closer to home. Guys might quit the team, but imo they'd be less likely to transfer out. So those tuition dollars are still coming in.
                        Percentage wise, it's probably the same. I feel like we are taking a quantity approach of necessity this year, so losing 50% is going to mean losing a lot more players. It will be interesting.

I agree with your second point. I knew a few local players who dropped off and stayed going to school afterwards. If they do stick, we'd probably get a small attendance boost too. Just so long as the focus remains on winning games, I'd like to see us recruit more locally. Lots of benefit to be had.

Comment

With the state of the current roster, they may retain May than 50% of those 72 this year. Some will have to play out of necessity...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                            I think they recruit local kids who are good enough.

There aren't that many. They get a good number of the local D2 kids and their efforts there can't be faulted.

Honestly, Marshall has had more D1 kids in the last last 7 years than D2 kids. No way were were going to get those kids no matter how hard we tried.

Retention is always an issue and more so now in the "me culture" of immediate expectations.
                            How many schools out here have the ability to consistently produce D2 players? Marshall, Pipestone, maybe Luverne? It's hard also having to compete with Mankato and Augustana. The town I lived in was an Augie town - 40 miles to Marshall, 120 to Sioux Falls. They also loved the MIAC schools. Never understood that. Anyway, our sister JUCO has a program too - I wonder if we recruit them at all?

I don't blame players for wanting to find the right fit - and there are a lot of factors that go into that. If someone doesn't feel like they fit here, I'd rather them go somewhere else. In the case of a guy like Michael Griffin, I really support the move. I do think entitlement plays into it sometimes though. You get a lot of guys that join the program who were hot shots in their podunk town. Front page of the local newspaper every week type stuff. They don't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

With the state of the current roster, they may retain May than 50% of those 72 this year. Some will have to play out of necessity...
                              That is very true, but they also have to want to stay. Keeping kids in Marshall is... tough.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X