Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Questions Underwood will have to answer:

1. What kind of offense. Folks like offense here. Based on what I saw at SCSU he liked to throw, but maybe not enough.
    2. Staff - who stays - who dosn't - how much say does he have in year 1 -- I have no idea
    3. Recruting - yeah SCSU had funding issues, but was still a bigger town and SCSU was a nicer town 15 years ago. Now, not as nice.
    4. Good record - but it was the NSIC North - the South is a juggernaut - and back then the North was not as strong. - can it translate to the South -- i certainly think so, but it has never been apples to apples in SOS
    5.likely to be lots of attrition in the next week. I am guessing maybe 60 of 120 left from the fall.

plenty to ponder but I think it is an excellent hire
    I'm okay with a more balanced offensive approach. If it wins, that's all that matters. Rebuilding both staff and roster/recruiting will be key.

I've wondered about the division thing too. The South is a juggernaut.

Comment

• Despite budget woes and not enough scholarships a whole bunch of his players caught on with other schools for 2020. AU sure benefitted with the Buckley brothers. Before Augustana hired coach OJ they offered the HC position to Scott which he declined even then there were rampant rumors of the football team being contracted.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
        Questions Underwood will have to answer:

1. What kind of offense. Folks like offense here. Based on what I saw at SCSU he liked to throw, but maybe not enough.
        2. Staff - who stays - who dosn't - how much say does he have in year 1 -- I have no idea
        3. Recruting - yeah SCSU had funding issues, but was still a bigger town and SCSU was a nicer town 15 years ago. Now, not as nice.
        4. Good record - but it was the NSIC North - the South is a juggernaut - and back then the North was not as strong. - can it translate to the South -- i certainly think so, but it has never been apples to apples in SOS
        5.likely to be lots of attrition in the next week. I am guessing maybe 60 of 120 left from the fall.

plenty to ponder but I think it is an excellent hire
        Why? 50%?

Comment

• Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

Why? 50%?
          Nature of the beast in 2021. SMSU traditionally probably has lost over 20% on a yearly basis, not counting a coaching change. Guys feel loyalty to specific staff members.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            Despite budget woes and not enough scholarships a whole bunch of his players caught on with other schools for 2020. AU sure benefitted with the Buckley brothers. Before Augustana hired coach OJ they offered the HC position to Scott which he declined even then there were rampant rumors of the football team being contracted.
            We picked up one guy, an OL I believe. Not sure how impactful he has been, but it did make the news up North, Duluth I think.

It seems to me that SU could have jumped ship when it sank, but he captained it to the end and took extra care to help find homes for anyone who wanted to keep going. That speaks just as much to me as his record does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

These are all reasons why early on I was so hopeful he might be interested early on in the process. Things working against him, but at the same time he's used to it and has still thrived despite challenges.
              SCSU is an absolute dumpster fire of an institution right now. Posters in the thread complain about SMSU's administration but have no idea how bad the situation is up there. I've heard some mind-boggling statistics being thrown around. To be blunt, they are burning the candle at both ends.

I bring it up because Coach U (can we make that his nickname, please?) will have a mountain to climb here, but he won't be under the constant stress of his admin actively working to send him to the unemployment line. I highly doubt he'd put himself in another position like SCSU again. That alone should be worth something to us SMSU folks.

Also, I don't know how much it matters - but SCSU obviously is going to put hockey before football. He won't have to play second fiddle here, he's already the top dog.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Nature of the beast in 2021. SMSU traditionally probably has lost over 20% on a yearly basis, not counting a coaching change. Guys feel loyalty to specific staff members.
                  I disagree. 50% is a ridiculous number. Half your team has loyalty issues and quits? I can understand 20%, that seems normal in D-II and lower classes.

Comment

• Saw a pic of him at the national coaching convention down in TX....saw it yesterday. I think he's still getting paid at the school and is teaching (a req for the head coaching gig at SMSU) at the school. That said, I've thought of him as a future OC..but would need to take less $$ for that role. Seemed like he was pretty comfy in the local community in Marshall..so I'm unsure how willing he is to uproot and continue his craft (with his wife and kids) elsewhere. TBD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Saw a pic of him at the national coaching convention down in TX....saw it yesterday. I think he's still getting paid at the school and is teaching (a req for the head coaching gig at SMSU) at the school. That said, I've thought of him as a future OC..but would need to take less $$ for that role. Seemed like he was pretty comfy in the local community in Marshall..so I'm unsure how willing he is to uproot and continue his craft (with his wife and kids) elsewhere. TBD.
                      Wasn't aware he taught - not that I was super connected to departments beyond my own. Curious as to what he might be teaching. ExSci? PE?

I think he's pretty rooted in Stangville... always one thing I liked about him.

Comment

• Sounds like there's a chance he may leave coaching

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Saw a pic of him at the national coaching convention down in TX....saw it yesterday. I think he's still getting paid at the school and is teaching (a req for the head coaching gig at SMSU) at the school. That said, I've thought of him as a future OC..but would need to take less $$ for that role. Seemed like he was pretty comfy in the local community in Marshall..so I'm unsure how willing he is to uproot and continue his craft (with his wife and kids) elsewhere. TBD.
                          Last edited by Twincitiesmav; 01-10-2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Yes, you are. Haha. Maybe send him an email and ask?? :)

Im not sure his wife is even that interested in him!
                            Last edited by Purple Mav Man; 01-11-2022, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• "And for my next magic trick, I will make Blakeslee Stadium disappear!"

Comment

• Sauter..to my recollection he teaches like a class or two in the PE world....like a walking class or something like that. But, yes..they need to teach something.

I've also heard talk that maybe Cory doesn't have the interest in immediately coaching again..but then when I saw him at the convention (via pics), I thought..ok, maybe he's going to find something.

This time of year position coaches and sometimes coordinators have changes and those don't as reported as the high profile jobs of head coach. We will likely see/learn of openings or changes as guys sometimes take a new job at or after the convention. At the end of the day guys who aren't a head coach aren't getting paid wow kinda $$ in D2..and they are all looking at what's best for their families. I'd feel sure there'd be interest in Sauter's offensive mind by plenty of schools..but that challenge for him would of course be a pay cut and moving/relocating. At that point it might matter more what his wife's job is..than his. All said, he's a great guy and it would be cool to see him land somewhere yet in the league.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X