Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Minimum for an auto-bid is seven teams. The UMAC will still have it for the 2022 season but they will need to find someone after that. I just don't see any schools in the area who plan to move to D3 that they could get. I still think that Crookston should have done that so they could have kept football.
    UMC should have definitely left the conference/division. Is there any chance at all that BLC pulls it together? There is definitely talent in the area that would love to go play next level ball and would probably compete with the level in the UMAC

Comment

• UMC should have definitely left the conference/division. Is there any chance at all that BLC pulls it together? There is definitely talent in the area that would love to go play next level ball and would probably compete with the level in the UMAC

Comment

• Might have been a viable alternative for UMC to do that. I had heard a while back that Bethany Lutheran (Mankato, MN) was considering starting football; however have not heard any more on that subject recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
          UMC should have definitely left the conference/division. Is there any chance at all that BLC pulls it together? There is definitely talent in the area that would love to go play next level ball and would probably compete with the level in the UMAC
          I've been thinking that since college. I couldn't figure out why they (a junior college at the time) had men's soccer instead of football. That was back when we had two full jc football divisions in the state. Think of the travel involved for that! Anyway- there were rumors a few years ago, so I asked a friend who had strong ties there. If I remember right they built new baseball and soccer fields there. So that probably put the kabosh on football. I agree, they probably wouldn't have a hard time recruiting enough football players to that school.

Comment

Minimum for an auto-bid is seven teams. The UMAC will still have it for the 2022 season but they will need to find someone after that. I just don't see any schools in the area who plan to move to D3 that they could get. I still think that Crookston should have done that so they could have kept football.

Comment

I've been thinking that since college. I couldn't figure out why they (a junior college at the time) had men's soccer instead of football. That was back when we had two full jc football divisions in the state. Think of the travel involved for that! Anyway- there were rumors a few years ago, so I asked a friend who had strong ties there. If I remember right they built new baseball and soccer fields there. So that probably put the kabosh on football. I agree, they probably wouldn't have a hard time recruiting enough football players to that school.
              Why was I thinking the baseball team made Franklin Rogers Park their official home, where the Moondogs play?
              So many Mankato area kids would get a shot, thinking of all the smaller school guys as well

Comment

• When I played against them Willmar JC had about 600 students- Rochester over 2000. That was before the tech schools were merged with the JCs. I even remember Willmar Tech having their own basketball team that would play other vo-techs. Anyway- when the U of M built up the med department there they went out of their way to emphasize that they would not start sports. Rochester would have the size, the population and the money if they had.

One more thing about Rochester. We (Mav fans) were told that if we went D1 in hockey that all kinds of Rochester fans would drive up 14 and get season tickets. I wonder how many we really get???

Comment

When I played against them Willmar JC had about 600 students- Rochester over 2000. That was before the tech schools were merged with the JCs. I even remember Willmar Tech having their own basketball team that would play other vo-techs. Anyway- when the U of M built up the med department there they went out of their way to emphasize that they would not start sports. Rochester would have the size, the population and the money if they had.

One more thing about Rochester. We (Mav fans) were told that if we went D1 in hockey that all kinds of Rochester fans would drive up 14 and get season tickets. I wonder how many we really get???

Comment

• That is too bad, I really liked the idea of adding them to CCHA. Oh well.

Comment

• I think I'll file the "go D1 in hockey and hundreds of fans will come from Rochester" in the same category as "there will never be women's hockey at MSU" statement which was also made at the time.

Too bad about UST. The WCHA could use an 8th team to replace UND. That bye week all season isn't good. And as Zimmy said, they would have filled a spot in the "new" CCHA.

By the way, does anyone remember when the UST decision is going to be made? I thought it was this month.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Why was I thinking the baseball team made Franklin Rogers Park their official home, where the Moondogs play?
                        So many Mankato area kids would get a shot, thinking of all the smaller school guys as well
                        FRP is listed as their home stadium on their website. I thought they had an on-campus baseball stadium? Maybe I'm thinking softball.

Could it be a UMD situation where they have an on-campus field but also have access to an off-campus field?

Comment

I think I'll file the "go D1 in hockey and hundreds of fans will come from Rochester" in the same category as "there will never be women's hockey at MSU" statement which was also made at the time.

Too bad about UST. The WCHA could use an 8th team to replace UND. That bye week all season isn't good. And as Zimmy said, they would have filled a spot in the "new" CCHA.

By the way, does anyone remember when the UST decision is going to be made? I thought it was this month.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

FRP is listed as their home stadium on their website. I thought they had an on-campus baseball stadium? Maybe I'm thinking softball.

Could it be a UMD situation where they have an on-campus field but also have access to an off-campus field?
                            They did have an on campus field, I think it partially became part of the new soccer pitch. Softball is still on campus I believe.

Comment

• Surely there has to be a high school stadium in this state that can support a team for a few years while a new site is built

Comment

When I played against them Willmar JC had about 600 students- Rochester over 2000. That was before the tech schools were merged with the JCs. I even remember Willmar Tech having their own basketball team that would play other vo-techs. Anyway- when the U of M built up the med department there they went out of their way to emphasize that they would not start sports. Rochester would have the size, the population and the money if they had.

UMR only offers two degrees and only has a few hundred students (if that). It's a nice school for what it is, but they don't currently have the infrastructure for sports. Having a real campus would help, but they don't have the student body to justify it.

I knew a guy who went there. I never made it "on campus" but I did get to see his dorm. It's a neat school, it just doesn't have the infrastructure for sports at the moment. Maybe it will in 20 years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X