Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

They did have an on campus field, I think it partially became part of the new soccer pitch. Softball is still on campus I believe.
    That's probably it. I've only driven through campus a couple of times so it's a bit hazy. I had to at least see where the immortal Marvin Schwan went to college though.

Playing at the home of the Mankato Mets can't be too shabby though. I've never been to a game there, but the stadium looks nice, even if it's in a weird part of town. I was going to come out for the NWL all-star game, but that's not happening this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

When I played against them Willmar JC had about 600 students- Rochester over 2000. That was before the tech schools were merged with the JCs. I even remember Willmar Tech having their own basketball team that would play other vo-techs. Anyway- when the U of M built up the med department there they went out of their way to emphasize that they would not start sports. Rochester would have the size, the population and the money if they had.

One more thing about Rochester. We (Mav fans) were told that if we went D1 in hockey that all kinds of Rochester fans would drive up 14 and get season tickets. I wonder how many we really get???
      Completely not having to do with anything other than Willmar Tech: in 1985 I was on the college campus, slipped on the grass and went tumbling down the hill. Wound up shattering my kneecap and spent the next 3 months in a cast from my hip to my ankle.

Ah, memories.

Comment

Why was I thinking the baseball team made Franklin Rogers Park their official home, where the Moondogs play?
        So many Mankato area kids would get a shot, thinking of all the smaller school guys as well
        Come to think of it I think it was softball. I know that the new soccer field is there- they were playing in North Mankato until it was finished.

Comment

Surely there has to be a high school stadium in this state that can support a team for a few years while a new site is built
          There are a ton of options. TRIA Rink, Target Center, Augsburg, Schwan's... The Coliseum would be awesome if they could find a way to get it up to code. Then of course there's always Mariucci, Ridder, and Xcel. There are a few high schools in the suburbs like Braemer and Aldrich that might work too.

It all depends on what they want for seating/amenities, how much they are willing to spend, and how far they are willing to drive. Mayo Civic Center wouldn't be too far away, but I'm sure that would need a lot of renovations to be able to house hockey again.

I don't think there's much in the immediate area outside of the Twin Cities though. Most of the nicer HS arenas are up north, like the Ralph and Duluth-Heritage. That might be too far of a drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

Completely not having to do with anything other than Willmar Tech: in 1985 I was on the college campus, slipped on the grass and went tumbling down the hill. Wound up shattering my kneecap and spent the next 3 months in a cast from my hip to my ankle.

Ah, memories.
            There is a reason why the school paper was called The Hilltopper. Darn cold and windy there. We used to have to run down the hill to go to football practice by Foot Lake.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

There are a ton of options. TRIA Rink, Target Center, Augsburg, Schwan's... The Coliseum would be awesome if they could find a way to get it up to code. Then of course there's always Mariucci, Ridder, and Xcel. There are a few high schools in the suburbs like Braemer and Aldrich that might work too.

It all depends on what they want for seating/amenities, how much they are willing to spend, and how far they are willing to drive. Mayo Civic Center wouldn't be too far away, but I'm sure that would need a lot of renovations to be able to house hockey again.

I don't think there's much in the immediate area outside of the Twin Cities though. Most of the nicer HS arenas are up north, like the Ralph and Duluth-Heritage. That might be too far of a drive.

Totally forgot about the Mayo civic center.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Totally forgot about the Mayo civic center.
                It would probably need a lot of work to get it back to a hockey-ready state, but who knows... maybe the city of Rochester wants to try and attract a USHL team or something.

Comment

There is a reason why the school paper was called The Hilltopper. Darn cold and windy there. We used to have to run down the hill to go to football practice by Foot Lake.
                  We visited Ridgewater once in high school. We got there early, and so a few of us decided to give ourselves the "self-guided tour." Not only did we not get kicked out, we somehow made it back in time to get the official tour. I don't recall why but one of the guys wanted to find the cosmetology department. I think he thought he'd get a free haircut or something.

It's a nice school. It's often overlooked by the locals I think, I never hear it talked about. I guess I live in Blue Jay country, though.

Comment

We visited Ridgewater once in high school. We got there early, and so a few of us decided to give ourselves the "self-guided tour." Not only did we not get kicked out, we somehow made it back in time to get the official tour. I don't recall why but one of the guys wanted to find the cosmetology department. I think he thought he'd get a free haircut or something.

It's a nice school. It's often overlooked by the locals I think, I never hear it talked about. I guess I live in Blue Jay country, though.
                    There used to be a real heated rivalry between Willmar and Worthington. Mel Lewis was pretty happy when we won down there. The guy who owned the Skylark Mall, Bill Tauton, bought the whole team steaks in Windom on the way back home. Tasted like..........victory.

I thought that the average instructor at Ridgewater was better than the average instructor at MSU. Richard Jones, the history teacher, was outstanding.

I know that they used to give $5 haircuts there. Unless he was interested in the gals cutting hair......

Comment

There used to be a real heated rivalry between Willmar and Worthington. Mel Lewis was pretty happy when we won down there. The guy who owned the Skylark Mall, Bill Tauton, bought the whole team steaks in Windom on the way back home. Tasted like..........victory.

I thought that the average instructor at Ridgewater was better than the average instructor at MSU. Richard Jones, the history teacher, was outstanding.

I know that they used to give $5 haircuts there. Unless he was interested in the gals cutting hair......
                      I think that had more to do with it than anything. We were an odd bunch though, maybe he wanted to get a free lesson or two. Who knows.

I always wondered who Bill Taunton was. They named the baseball stadium after him. I've spent quite a few summer nights in those stands watching the Stingers play. It's a real fun time. I've only been to the Worthington school once, to buy a book. I have three withdrawn credits from Minnesota West on my transcript. Turns out taking speech class online during the summer kinda sucks, only I didn't figure that out in time so there was no refund. Oops. Live and learn.

Comment

That's probably it. I've only driven through campus a couple of times so it's a bit hazy. I had to at least see where the immortal Marvin Schwan went to college though.

Playing at the home of the Mankato Mets can't be too shabby though. I've never been to a game there, but the stadium looks nice, even if it's in a weird part of town. I was going to come out for the NWL all-star game, but that's not happening this year.
                        I worked for the Moondogs as a 16/17 year old punk kid, got to play a few high school there games to when we'd play Loyola or St. Clair. It was a lot of fun spending the nights at the park. We hosted the all star game that year as well. Pretty neat experience.
                        hopefully the Frank can host it next year.

Comment

• NCAA is looking at the UST situation this week.

https://www.startribune.com/st-thoma...eek/571252902/

Comment

NCAA is looking at the UST situation this week.

https://www.startribune.com/st-thoma...eek/571252902/
                            Despite how much joy it would give me for UST to not get approval to jump to D1 and watch the Summit League scramble to find a replacement or two to make sure it doesn't lose autobids for various sports, I find it hard to believe that will be the case. I'm willing to bet St. Thomas passes right on through. But man it will be entertaining for me if they don't.

Comment

I worked for the Moondogs as a 16/17 year old punk kid, got to play a few high school there games to when we'd play Loyola or St. Clair. It was a lot of fun spending the nights at the park. We hosted the all star game that year as well. Pretty neat experience.
                              hopefully the Frank can host it next year.
                              I started following the NWL in 2010 and I don't believe they held the All-Star Game in Minnesota during that time. This was going to be the first chance I had to go. Bummer...

The crowds in Wisconsin are too big to pass up. That's usually where they hold the showcases and things too.

Comment

I started following the NWL in 2010 and I don't believe they held the All-Star Game in Minnesota during that time. This was going to be the first chance I had to go. Bummer...

The crowds in Wisconsin are too big to pass up. That's usually where they hold the showcases and things too.
                                I do believe that Rochester had it in 06, but I could have sworn that St. Cloud had it semi-recently?
                                the NWL has ballooned since I was involved. It was 14 teams when I was around it was the first year for 2 teams, I see it's up to 24 now.

St. Cloud River Bats (now Rox)
                                Rochester Honkers
                                Wisconsin Woodchucks
                                Waterloo Bucks
                                Mankato Moondogs
                                Alexandria Beetles
                                Madison Mallards
                                Duluth Huskies
                                Lacrosse Loggers
                                Thunder Bay Border Cats
                                Brainerd Blue Thunder
                                Eau Claire Express