Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    The crowds in Wisconsin are too big to pass up. That's usually where they hold the showcases and things too.
    The Badgers need to bring back BIG baseball. I heard that it won't happen as long as Barry Alvarez is AD. There are only four Power 5 schools that don't have it- Colorado, Iowa State, Syracuse and Wisconsin.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

The Badgers need to bring back BIG baseball. I heard that it won't happen as long as Barry Alvarez is AD. There are only four Power 5 schools that don't have it- Colorado, Iowa State, Syracuse and Wisconsin.
      Alex Wimmers used to be a pretty big prospect for the Twins after he was drafted in 2010. I remembered at one point trying to locate him on Wisconsin's baseball roster - and was surprised to find out that not only did Wimmers play for Ohio State, but Wisconsin didn't have any baseball at all.

Turns out I'd misremembered what team he played for.

Comment

Alex Wimmers used to be a pretty big prospect for the Twins after he was drafted in 2010. I remembered at one point trying to locate him on Wisconsin's baseball roster - and was surprised to find out that not only did Wimmers play for Ohio State, but Wisconsin didn't have any baseball at all.

Turns out I'd misremembered what team he played for.
        Yes, their last season was 1991. When I worked basketball camp at UW I walked down to the softball field, which was built where the baseball diamond had been.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

I do believe that Rochester had it in 06, but I could have sworn that St. Cloud had it semi-recently?
          the NWL has ballooned since I was involved. It was 14 teams when I was around it was the first year for 2 teams, I see it's up to 24 now.

St. Cloud River Bats (now Rox)
          Rochester Honkers
          Wisconsin Woodchucks
          Waterloo Bucks
          Mankato Moondogs
          Alexandria Beetles
          Madison Mallards
          Duluth Huskies
          Lacrosse Loggers
          Thunder Bay Border Cats
          Brainerd Blue Thunder
          Eau Claire Express
          Battle Creek Bombers*
          Green Bay Bullfrogs*
          * Expansion teams
          I started following in 2010 after the league expanded into Willmar. Alexandria and Brainerd have since both folded, and they've added a boatload of new teams. Otherwise all the ones on that list still exist. I was vaguely aware of the league prior because of Curtis Granderson, but I was never able to make it to any games until they added Willmar.

In 2010, they were in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, and Ontario. They've since expanded into North Dakota, Indiana, and Illinois. The attendance numbers some of the teams draw out east are pretty bonkers. Madison is the second-highest drawing baseball team in Wisconsin behind the Brewers.

It's possible they've been to St. Cloud. I haven't followed it much in the past 3-4 years just because I was living farther away and I was working nights. Their big prospect showcase is typically held in Wisconsin every year too, that would be fun to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Yes, their last season was 1991. When I worked basketball camp at UW I walked down to the softball field, which was built where the baseball diamond had been.
            They'd make a good baseball school I think. The Gophers could have a real rival.

Comment

I started following in 2010 after the league expanded into Willmar. Alexandria and Brainerd have since both folded, and they've added a boatload of new teams. Otherwise all the ones on that list still exist. I was vaguely aware of the league prior because of Curtis Granderson, but I was never able to make it to any games until they added Willmar.

In 2010, they were in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, and Ontario. They've since expanded into North Dakota, Indiana, and Illinois. The attendance numbers some of the teams draw out east are pretty bonkers. Madison is the second-highest drawing baseball team in Wisconsin behind the Brewers.

It's possible they've been to St. Cloud. I haven't followed it much in the past 3-4 years just because I was living farther away and I was working nights. Their big prospect showcase is typically held in Wisconsin every year too, that would be fun to see.
              It's good the league has grown, there was some really good talent that came through Mankato and now there's even more opportunity for kids to get better. Unfortunately though the Moondogs have finished 2nd 3 times and have slipped since the last loss.
              part of me wishes the league had not gone into some of these bigger towns but I certainly can't blame them for it.

Comment

It's good the league has grown, there was some really good talent that came through Mankato and now there's even more opportunity for kids to get better. Unfortunately though the Moondogs have finished 2nd 3 times and have slipped since the last loss.
                part of me wishes the league had not gone into some of these bigger towns but I certainly can't blame them for it.
                IMO, they are slowly overtaking the CCL as the top summer league. They have a very impressive list of alumni. Guys like Max Scherzer, Chris Sale, Pete Alonso... I watched Hunter Dozier play for a summer once. They've done well.

I like the midsized city feel. It's supposed to replicate minor league baseball, and I think it helps the atmosphere. I get what you mean though, I was bummed when Alexandria folded. The Stingers hold a home game in Alexandria every year using the Beetles name and uniforms as a nod to the old franchise, which I thought was cool. Al Newman was actually the coach of the Blue Anchors when they closed up shop, I got his autograph after a game once.

I forgot to mention that Green Bay still exists but they changed their name to the Booyah which got some national attention a couple years back.

Comment

• Back on topic....according to Bring Me The News, the meeting will discuss UST today (Wednesday the 17th). It does not say a decision will be made, just discussion. This is ridiculous. UST plans on being in the Summit by next fall, the NCAA better notify them pretty quickly of their decision!

Comment

IMO, they are slowly overtaking the CCL as the top summer league. They have a very impressive list of alumni. Guys like Max Scherzer, Chris Sale, Pete Alonso... I watched Hunter Dozier play for a summer once. They've done well.

I like the midsized city feel. It's supposed to replicate minor league baseball, and I think it helps the atmosphere. I get what you mean though, I was bummed when Alexandria folded. The Stingers hold a home game in Alexandria every year using the Beetles name and uniforms as a nod to the old franchise, which I thought was cool. Al Newman was actually the coach of the Blue Anchors when they closed up shop, I got his autograph after a game once.

I forgot to mention that Green Bay still exists but they changed their name to the Booyah which got some national attention a couple years back.
                    I miss the Beetles/Blue Anchors as well. But the town just did not support them with butts in the seats. We went to few games where if there were maybe 100 people there.
                    Millsy

Comment

• Originally posted by Millsy View Post

I miss the Beetles/Blue Anchors as well. But the town just did not support them with butts in the seats. We went to few games where if there were maybe 100 people there.
                      They were dead last in league attendance for much of their time. I don't think I've ever been to Alexandria, but from what I understand it's a big cabin town - probably not the best place to run a summer league team.

Comment

• In the CCHA live stream this afternoon, newly named Commissioner Don Lucia was asked if UST is a candidate for the 8th team in the new/old conference.
                        Don said they are a candidate, and they were looking forward to hear about the NCAA's decision hopefully yet today.

Comment

• "While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process."

NCAA essentially giving the green light to St. Thomas.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ome-di-members
                          4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                          2016 NSIC Champions
                          🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                            "While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process."

NCAA essentially giving the green light to St. Thomas.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ome-di-members
                            Yep. Vote will be in April. I'd say this is a green light since the Summit already invited them.

Comment

• So there it is, decision has been made I'd expect the application fairly soon. It will be nice to have a second D1 school in this state

Comment

So there it is, decision has been made I'd expect the application fairly soon. It will be nice to have a second D1 school in this state
                                Correct. I hope it works out for UST assuming this allows them to make the move to D1. There cannot be many, if any, other states with the approximate population of Minnesota with only one Division-I institution in all sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X