Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

Correct. I hope it works out for UST assuming this allows them to make the move to D1. There cannot be many, if any, other states with the approximate population of Minnesota with only one Division-I institution in all sports.
    I believe we have 3x the population of the next closest state with only 1 school at D1. Maine or Hawaii I can't remember which is next after us

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

They were dead last in league attendance for much of their time. I don't think I've ever been to Alexandria, but from what I understand it's a big cabin town - probably not the best place to run a summer league team.
      Early on as the Beetles, they had decent attendance, but then the "newness" wore off, and yep, the other summer activities in the area took over. I think they were banking on being able to draw in the cabin visitors during the week for evening games, but it just didn't happen.

The Blizzard, the NA3HL hockey team, are able to hold there own. But then again, that is Tier 3 and a pay to play league, so the players are footing some of the bill.
      Millsy

Comment

• Originally posted by Millsy View Post

Early on as the Beetles, they had decent attendance, but then the "newness" wore off, and yep, the other summer activities in the area took over. I think they were banking on being able to draw in the cabin visitors during the week for evening games, but it just didn't happen.

The Blizzard, the NA3HL hockey team, are able to hold there own. But then again, that is Tier 3 and a pay to play league, so the players are footing some of the bill.
        If I'm a weekender, I'll probably get to one or two games a summer. As much as I like baseball, I'm not going to spend every weekend attending games as I'd want to maximize my time doing other stuff. That's kind of how I look at it.

I can see the Blizzard succeeding, although the original franchise was NAHL and moved to Brookings (and then to St. Cloud). Less to do during the winter, and the community is starting to embrace hockey a bit more at the youth level from what I've seen. Hopefully they stick around. Both Willmar and New Ulm have NA3HL franchises now.

Comment

• Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

Correct. I hope it works out for UST assuming this allows them to make the move to D1. There cannot be many, if any, other states with the approximate population of Minnesota with only one Division-I institution in all sports.
          You are correct. Minnesota is by far the largest state with only one D1 program.

Hawaii (U. Hawaii), Maine (U. Maine), Vermont (U. Vermont), and Wyoming (U. Wyoming) are the only other states with one D1 program - albeit U. Vermont doesn't have football at all. There is also Alaska with no D1 programs.

Comment

They were dead last in league attendance for much of their time. I don't think I've ever been to Alexandria, but from what I understand it's a big cabin town - probably not the best place to run a summer league team.
            Wife is from close to Alex. We won't once and it was fine. I absolutely hate going there in the summer. It is an absolute zoo of people. Summer population turns that place into probably near 50,000.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Wife is from close to Alex. We won't once and it was fine. I absolutely hate going there in the summer. It is an absolute zoo of people. Summer population turns that place into probably near 50,000.
              I'm sure the locals appreciate that, haha. I have some family that lives in cabin country and it's tough to even get into town during the weekends because of the people.

Comment

I'm sure the locals appreciate that, haha. I have some family that lives in cabin country and it's tough to even get into town during the weekends because of the people.
                We pray to God we don't need to run into town for any groceries Thursday night, Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning........
                Millsy

Comment

• Originally posted by Millsy View Post

We pray to God we don't need to run into town for any groceries Thursday night, Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning........
                  Yeah, that's their take too. There is a big racing event in town every summer which swells the city even more - I've been told upwards of 100,000 people from all over the country. It's a beautiful area but it has it's drawbacks. They live a few miles out of town on an old farmsite near the woods, so they don't get a ton of activity since the weekenders typically stay near the lakes.

Comment

• Officially a Division I institution

Comment

• How does the scholarship transition work? Do athletes currently on teams start getting scholarships next year? Probably my first of many questions.

Comment

• Reuesse's article deals with the great increase in travel for UST. Pretty amazing.

https://www.startribune.com/in-far-f...aul/571784372/

Comment

• Comment

• This is so exciting! Forget about St. John's, I can't wait to watch the football team play... umm...

*checks notes...* Marist...? What even is that?

Well, umm, anyway... at least the basketball team will host Duke at some point... right? Oh, I read that wrong... Western Illinois?

Well, I guess that's better than watching them play against MIAC competition with fierce rivalries, or even in-state options with the NSIC... right?

Comment

This is so exciting! Forget about St. John's, I can't wait to watch the football team play... umm...

*checks notes...* Marist...? What even is that?

Well, umm, anyway... at least the basketball team will host Duke at some point... right? Oh, I read that wrong... Western Illinois?

Well, I guess that's better than watching them play against MIAC competition with fierce rivalries, or even in-state options with the NSIC... right?
                              I think it will get the more casual fans interested now that they are D1. If you look at their football attendance numbers they are pretty low outside the St. John's game considering how strong they have been. The few STU alumns I know were always apathetic towards sports but seem very excited over this.

Comment

• Embarassed because we dont have their enrollment, location, or endowment? Busted! Sick burn!

St Thomas has had the resources, location, and enrollment to be D1 for a LONG time. Thanks to the actions of many frightened presidents and ADs they finally realized that potential.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X