Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witt hasn't aged a bit! His analysis is just about what I expected but my only surprise is that I didn't think Witt would have UMD all the way down at 5? I still think (imo) UMD is still #2 behind Mankato but the games played might prove me wrong otherwise!

Comment

• Brandon Zylstra, brother of the Mav's Shane, cut by the Vikings but picked up by Carolina.

https://www.wctrib.com/sports/464162...olina-Panthers

Comment

• I'm watching the SMB Wolfpack game tonight. That kicker is pretty good. Just sayin...

Comment

• Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post
          I'm watching the SMB Wolfpack game tonight. That kicker is pretty good. Just sayin...
          That team is so loaded with talent that their kicker is probably not even a top 10 player on the team

Comment

• Just saw this historical tidbit. St Norbert hosted MSU in the first college football game at Lambeau Field on Oct. 29, 1960.

Comment

• Not football related, but can't find the woman's soccer department on this new format. Mav women beat #1 ranked Grand Valley today 1-0, after defeating #4 ranked Central Mo Friday 2-0. Congratulations to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                Not football related, but can't find the woman's soccer department on this new format. Mav women beat #1 ranked Grand Valley today 1-0, after defeating #4 ranked Central Mo Friday 2-0. Congratulations to them.
                Go towards the bottom of the Forums page- Other Sports. Then open General Discussion.

Comment

• Trying to learn some history about our team. Where did we play before Blakeslee? I saw team pictures from the 1890s, but the site lists us as having began varsity football in 1821. What happened in the 1970s that we skipped a year? And this is about hockey, but why did Don Brose not coach for 1 season in the 80s and then come back?

Comment

Trying to learn some history about our team. Where did we play before Blakeslee? I saw team pictures from the 1890s, but the site lists us as having began varsity football in 1821. What happened in the 1970s that we skipped a year? And this is about hockey, but why did Don Brose not coach for 1 season in the 80s and then come back?
                    They played down at the bottom of the hill before campus started being built up on top. There was a physical education building there that looked like a Japanese battleship. But during the mid to late 50s and I would assume until 1962 when Blakeslee was built, they played at Mankato HS (now Mankato West). I saw a program from 1958- I think that the game started at 8 or 8:30. They would practice across the river in North Mankato. They would take a bus over and back. Sometimes they would reach out the windows and try to take pop bottles from the top of delivery trucks.

In 1976 MSU was in the NCC. The full amount of scholarships at that time was 45. They only had enough for about 35. Rather than shift money around or go on a fund raising drive they dropped the sport and promptly got kicked out of the league. Total bush move. Set the program back at least ten years. I graduated that spring and was totally bored with them not having the sport that fall. I put the blame on the administration at that time- both the president and the AD. Hving club football a year later was pretty half-assed. And it really hurt the basketball program who was on the way up- they had scheduled Nebraska and Kansas that year.

As far as Don Brose- I can't remember if it was for his health or for his wife- I believe that she died around that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

They played down at the bottom of the hill before campus started being built up on top. There was a physical education building there that looked like a Japanese battleship. But during the mid to late 50s and I would assume until 1962 when Blakeslee was built, they played at Mankato HS (now Mankato West). I saw a program from 1958- I think that the game started at 8 or 8:30. They would practice across the river in North Mankato. They would take a bus over and back. Sometimes they would reach out the windows and try to take pop bottles from the top of delivery trucks.

In 1976 MSU was in the NCC. The full amount of scholarships at that time was 45. They only had enough for about 35. Rather than shift money around or go on a fund raising drive they dropped the sport and promptly got kicked out of the league. Total bush move. Set the program back at least ten years. I graduated that spring and was totally bored with them not having the sport that fall. I put the blame on the administration at that time- both the president and the AD. Hving club football a year later was pretty half-assed. And it really hurt the basketball program who was on the way up- they had scheduled Nebraska and Kansas that year.

As far as Don Brose- I can't remember if it was for his health or for his wife- I believe that she died around that time.
                      Don Brose did not coach the team in the 1983-84 season because he was on sabbatical leave. The team was coached that year by Brad Reeves (who passed away last month).

Comment

• Total bush move. It sounds like we should be about where UNI is right now if they didn't cancel that season. I heard we also dropped plans to get a law school around that time, and the hippie protests at that time. What a disastrous administration. We could truly be Minnesota's 2nd university but squandered it.

Comment

Total bush move. It sounds like we should be about where UNI is right now if they didn't cancel that season. I heard we also dropped plans to get a law school around that time, and the hippie protests at that time. What a disastrous administration. We could truly be Minnesota's 2nd university but squandered it.
                          UNI was in the NCC at the time. Casey Lloyd told me that they had less than a hundred people when MSU played at UNI- and Otto Arena was pretty full. The two schools went in different directions.

I had Butch Raymond for a class. He had to go before some student committee to request new practice tops, which were worn out. A coed asked why they just couldn't go shirts and skins instead.

Comment

• When did we move from the NAIA? Wasn't it only like a decade earlier? Also, when did D2 move from 45 to 36 schollys?

Comment

When did we move from the NAIA? Wasn't it only like a decade earlier? Also, when did D2 move from 45 to 36 schollys?
                              From Wikipedia: In the Fall of 1995, the NSIC and its member institutions became eligible for championship competition in the NCAA Division II ranks.

Comment

• The big boys were called the University division. The NCC was D2, with the NIC (which would become the NSIC) was NAIA until 1995.

Again, Wikipedia is the source. "Before 1973, the NCAA's smaller schools were grouped together in the College Division. In 1973, the College Division split in two when the NCAA began using numeric designations for its competitions. The College Division members who wanted to offer athletic scholarships or compete against those who did became Division II, while those who chose not to offer athletic scholarships became Division III."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X