Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A third nice column in a week from Patrick Reusse. This one is about Alex Goettl and his trip to New York. Great football player- even greater young man. Yes, Alex, your mother would be really proud of you, because the entire Mav family certainly is.

http://www.startribune.com/mankato-l...iiW5gxDP60O-QM

Comment

• Article on Nate Gunn:

http://www.startribune.com/nate-gunn...off/566393162/

Comment

• Comment

• Another great article on Gunn.
          Game time in less than two hours....Go Mavs!

Comment

• Part of the article talks about some of the highest paid D2 football coaches currently. Hoffner is up there..

https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/201...ext/552539002/

Comment

• Hoffner has done very well with the MSU program since he began coaching there back in 2008. From a football fan's perspective, I am glad we have an AD that is a former player himself and that he supports the football program.

Comment

• Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                Hoffner has done very well with the MSU program since he began coaching there back in 2008. From a football fan's perspective, I am glad we have an AD that is a former player himself and that he supports the football program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                  almost certainly mean cutting the programpiss off a bunch of boosters.
                  Some people want to go D1 at all costs. Moving there would certainly cost us some of the great teams that we are lucky enough to have at MSU. We currently have a lot of athletes that do extremely well academically, which is the real reason to go to college anyway. Look at the academic awards won by Goettl, Schlicte, Zylstra and many others on the football team. Do we really want to become cannon fodder for NDSU and play a money game with the Gophers so we can say, "Yay, we are now D1 in all sports?". Which teams do we cut? And if we cut football, expect me to go to prison because someone is going to get slapped upside the head.

For the people screaming the loudest to go D1- have you looked into it? I've been to those meetings! The costs- which are incredible money wise, but also in what we would be losing? Pipe up once you donate more money to MSU than I do, otherwise I'm not listening.

To say that I would be urinated off would be an understatement!

Comment

• MSU already has Division-I men's and women's hockey. Which is quite expensive to operate. A move to D1 may have been possible back in the 1970's, when Northern Iowa did that. I don't see if at all financially possible at this time. Anyway, without cutting several sports, which if it was football would be insane. As that has been very successful, and a traditional and popular sport with many alumni. It is also highly questionable as to whether the average potential or current fan would see that playing Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, etc. is that much better than current opponents; also paying the higher admission prices for games. Not just my thoughts; I was told this by a high-ranking MSU administrator in the alumni room about 20 years ago when Northern Colorado left for D1.
                    The main-campus U of M has dominated collegiate sports in Minnesota for so long that it is difficult to change that mindset among the general population. Unusual situation in a state of Minnesota's population to have just one Division I program in all sports except hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                      MSU already has Division-I men's and women's hockey. Which is quite expensive to operate. A move to D1 may have been possible back in the 1970's, when Northern Iowa did that. I don't see if at all financially possible at this time. Anyway, without cutting several sports, which if it was football would be insane. As that has been very successful, and a traditional and popular sport with many alumni. It is also highly questionable as to whether the average potential or current fan would see that playing Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, etc. is that much better than current opponents; also paying the higher admission prices for games. Not just my thoughts; I was told this by a high-ranking MSU administrator in the alumni room about 20 years ago when Northern Colorado left for D1.
                      The main-campus U of M has dominated collegiate sports in Minnesota for so long that it is difficult to change that mindset among the general population. Unusual situation in a state of Minnesota's population to have just one Division I program in all sports except hockey.
                      St. Thomas is about to become the 2nd Minnesota D1 school.

Comment

So it seems. It will be interesting to see if this is sustainable for them, and if they can develop an adequate fan base for Division I athletics.

Comment

I wonder how their attendance numbers will change not playing in the head-scratchily popular MIAC?

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I wonder how their attendance numbers will change not playing in the head-scratchily popular MIAC?
                            Football I can definitely see a decrease but for basketball I could see a packed house every game.

Comment

• Minnesota State seniors Evan Heim, Nate Gunn and Shane Zylstra received D2Football.com All-American accolades for their efforts this past season.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2020/1...an-honors.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X